News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Crewchief99

Blowmolds

Is that last picture of a motorized Santa in the sleigh?  If so, I would assume that would be the one to try and get if you could, as it would be harder to come by than the others. 

I have found these on a San Francisco’s Bay Area Craigslist. Who makes these? What company made them? 

19 hours ago, tdbuckles said:

Is that last picture of a motorized Santa in the sleigh?  If so, I would assume that would be the one to try and get if you could, as it would be harder to come by than the others. 

The one in the last picture looks like it does not have the rails for the sleigh the stand or the antlers for the reindeer, where would you get replacements for those now that General Foam is closing and not shipping parts?

Mel

3 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

The one in the last picture looks like it does not have the rails for the sleigh the stand or the antlers for the reindeer, where would you get replacements for those now that General Foam is closing and not shipping parts?

Mel

I honestly have no clue. I assume you would have to piece it together and be patient for parts to come across that you would be able to use to finish it. I will always hope that someone will fill the void and buy the molds GF have, and continue making these lovely pieces of Christmas past and future. If this piece was available and at a reasonable price, it would be better sitting in someone’s possession that truly cares about it and waiting to be complete than end up in a landfill, regardless of missing parts, IMO. 

Let's start off with the sleigh in the last photo. That is the Animated edition of that sleigh.  It was made by Empire Plastics in 1986.  That sleigh is probably worth about 600 in working order with Runners, not working without runners about 450 is the best you'd be able to get unless someone was willing to pay more.  The deer for both sleighs are the same and are very common and without the antlers are probably only worth about 60 bucks each.  The sleigh with the runners still on it is the non-animated version, and is again very common.  Judging by the paint job, it looks to be the 1986 Empire version (General Foam made a version much later in the 2000's).  With the runners in that condition it's worth about 100 bucks.  The lollipop is probably worth about 30 bucks, the candy cane about 20 bucks and the North Pole sign about 40.  They are all fairly common and we're produced by Union Products in the 80's.  The Santa in the same photo was made by Empire in the 90's and is worth about 110 bucks.  The donkey is probably worth 80 and the ox with the missing antler probably about 60.  The sheep (both) are either made by Empire or General Foam.  They should have a manufacturer on them somewhere. The larger sheep should be worth about 90 dollars if Empire and 40 if General Foam.  The Smaller sheep is worth about 70 if Empire or 35 if General Foam. The large Natity is either general foam or empire as well. About 90 a piece if Empire or 40 a piece if General Foam.  The angel with the trumpet is fairly common and only worth about 50 bucks.  The large angel is worth about 100 bucks and the Shepherd with lambs is worth about 80. The large walking deer is either made by general foam or empire. It's worth 90 if General Foam, 120 if Santa's Best. Hope this helps, all evaluations are rough estimates based on Craigslist/eBay/Kijiji/auction/antique store prices.

• Thanks 1

Where did you see that sleigh sell for 600 bucks? I have seen them go for around 200 to 250 thats about tops.

3 minutes ago, Big J Illinois said:

My guess is fleabay...

First of all it was typo shoulda said 300:lol: Second of all, yes Big J is correct :lol: Blow Molds good for ridiculous prices to non collectors on eBay who don't know the exact same one may be 100 bucks cheaper at the antique store down the road. :lol:

1 hour ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

First of all it was typo shoulda said 300:lol: Second of all, yes Big J is correct :lol: Blow Molds good for ridiculous prices to non collectors on eBay who don't know the exact same one may be 100 bucks cheaper at the antique store down the road. :lol:

But doesn’t it boggle your mind that there are people out there that spend that kind of money on specific blow molds? I would assume if their area is lacking of opportunity to find them in their surrounding area, last resort would be to spend the big bucks. 

19 minutes ago, tdbuckles said:

But doesn’t it boggle your mind that there are people out there that spend that kind of money on specific blow molds? I would assume if their area is lacking of opportunity to find them in their surrounding area, last resort would be to spend the big bucks. 

Trust me my friend, it boggles my mind the most as a collector :lol:. I understand the price tag in things like municipal blow molds not sold to the general public from the 50's, but then you have things like the mass produced early 2000's Mickey mouse, who can fetch up to 100 bucks in good shape on eBay. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

Trust me my friend, it boggles my mind the most as a collector :lol:. I understand the price tag in things like municipal blow molds not sold to the general public from the 50's, but then you have things like the mass produced early 2000's Mickey mouse, who can fetch up to 100 bucks in good shape on eBay. It's ridiculous.

Lol yeah, that I’ll never understand.