News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

PlanetChristmas is getting a face lift.

Do the forums look a bit different?  We've refreshed the main theme.  Don't worry.  All your posts are still there.

Lights@721

Who else is behind schedule!?

Surprised I am the one starting this topic this year...

title says it all! Behind my self imposed schedule... super cold weather and possible rain over the next two weeks will really kill me. Guess I need to kick it into high gear!   Anybody else?

I think this year will be different...I've pretty much decided  (in my head)  what the setup will be. Other than the house itself, only have a large tree in my front yard to use as props.  Now, I will be using ground props -- blow molds, rotator, rocking horse, teeter-totter -- and maybe lit candy canes to display.  I have at least 5 of the large blow-mold teddy bears, and 10 of the small ones that will comprise one of the displays.  Have not been able to locate other similar `bear-type` displays I could get ideas from, using PlanetChristmas.  If you know of any, could use a shout-out, directing me......thnx

I have not completely finished building/repairing stuff from last year, let alone start putting up lights. An out of state wedding this weekend is killing me!  

Edited by Shawn M.

I just drove through a neighborhood last night on my way home and saw several houses with, not only displays set up, but lights ON already!

Personally, it's too early to light up. Set up? Sure.
Switch it on? Not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so far behind schedule. 2 Weeks til light up and so much left. Work is the only thing that's in my way

Like Shawn M.,  I have one last build to complete,  haven't started setting up yet.  Cold has rolled into New England and will make it harder, but I have 4 days of vacation time around Thanksgiving to fully support my set up if the weather cooperates.  Just picked up 5 Empire toy soldier blow molds yesterday,  I was visiting my daughter, who just moved into her first home.  Drove past a shop and there in the front window stood the soldiers, two of them lit in the window.  Walked in yesterday, bought them,  the shop owner asks me what I will do with them, then states the window dresser will be upset, she just put out the Christmas window on Friday night, the night I saw them, now they have to change up the window.    They also had  carolers and a lamppost, but too much money for all the blow molds together.

I am behind schedule... I just can't get started this year... I usually have most of my lights up, I haven't even started yet. I just got my blowmolds out to clean yesterday, I usually do that earlier.I'm just so damn busy this year, I can't find the time to start, I may have to take a day off of work.

Every year I am behind "schedule"....so in reality, while I think I am behind schedule this year, am I really on schedule?

• Haha 1

I am done.  Took last week off and knocked it out.  This weekend I will go through the display and troubleshoot any bad lights, ect.  It's a good feeling.

I'm grossly behind schedule. There's no way I'm going to be ready for Thanksgiving night's traditional turn on, especially given the fact that the leaves are still falling and I can't put out any of the ground stuff until they're down. My wife wants to turn on "whatever is up" on Thanksgiving, but it would look strange to have LOR running without half the lights that make up the sequences installed. Looks like my target turn on date is going to be December 3rd. 

Nope, actually I will probably be EARLY!  Everything is coming up out of the basement today and tomorrow.  So here is this years layout!  Waterfall lights all around the house!  Ice sicle lights on the front stoop and both garage doors.  5 3 Tier candles each side of the stoop, and all side of the garage doors. All trees lining the parking lot and drive wrapped with red and green rope lights.  Two large floods lighting up the entire front of the house with red, blue and green alternating.  4 Bushes in front the house and garage (attached) with red, green and multi color.  4 singing coro Christmas trees controlled by LIght O Rama, 2 Nuttcrackers wire frames animated guarding the Christmas Trees, Presents in front of the trees. 4 sections of 2' tall white picket fences in with 24 different painted cartoon characters. And now the wire frames, 3 deer, 2 bunnies, 3 lambs, 3 shepherds with hooks, 3 wise men, 3 camels, Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, The Manger, 2 cherub angels on the manger and one flying Gabriel trumpeting angel.  Two day of work.  Now if only the rest of the damn leaves would fall so I can blow to have a nice clean lawn! 

Oh next year, working on plans for a 15' yes 15 foot Ferris wheel.

Misery loves company lol .... glad I am not the only one!

I got a few things outside this weekend (great feeling) and all my mini-trees wrapped, waiting in the garage to be carried out. Leaves are killing me because I have ton still up on the trees. I hate having to try to work around light trees and extension cords when trying to clean them up. regardless I am putting them out this weekend. If the weather holds out I plan to get on the roof to do those lights too. Also trying to build a few things to make the display cleaner....

I am behind due to kitchen remodel, trying to get that done before Thanksgiving. Looks like the display will get done around the 4th or 5th  of December.

Tom

Well, between my back acting up,  the leaves refusing to fall from the trees, and the rain pattern we're experiencing, (forecast is for more rain wed, fri & sat this week) I am definitely behind.  May have to call on a couple friends to try to get caught up by Turkey Day !

I feel like I am behind.  I have a schedule wrote out for each day until Thanksgiving of what I want to get done so I can be ready.  I work till 5pm each day so by the time I get home the sun sets 15 minutes later so I can't get a whole lot done after work.  I am going to have to suck it up and work through the rain or I will not get done on time.

I just started wrapping our spiral tree last night.... its going to eat up my whole week after work and probably a good bit of the weekend. 8 foot tree with six 50ft strands, split 25 feet to "each side".... if it didn't look so awesome .....

I lucked out and had 3 days off last week plus I already built on my props in the garage so all I have left to do is hang up my 9-foot tall Bethlehem star and plug Spotlight in for my wife's window painting and I'm done

Colder weather and snow is putting me behind. Have about half the lights out now but none of the blow molds. That’ll probably be last on the list sometime this weekend into next week.

Am finished as of 5pm today!!  Now it's a small punch list of cords to hide,a few bulbs to replace and dielectric grease all the ends, put out the remote units, and balance each run for power.. this year is the biggest yet. Thanks for the BEST WIFE:):):)

Colder weather and snow is putting me behind. Have about half the lights out now but none of the blow molds. That’ll probably be last on the list sometime this weekend into next week.

I'm hoping today an tomorrow to get some stuff done. I'm gonna have to suck it up and work in the dark for a while.