News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Quirky Christmas?

What's the quirkiest Christmas decoration you've seen? Join Us!

Big J Illinois

Pics of anyone's display progress

Hopefully tommorow, get the mega tree up then all done on the north side of the property. This weather here has been crazy!! 15° weather Thurs to snow this A.M. :blink::omg:

Looking good.  Have a question:  is that a custom-made extension cord you made to light up all those blow-molds?

WOW that is a ton of nutcrackers, thank that's there name its early im not fully awake... nice

here is the side yard across the left side of the driveway.. and the Front of the house. I am so happy with the window outlines first time ever trying to do those.. I think they came out great. they were going to flash when the music has talking singing but since there not going to get hooked to a real controller this yr. still just a MR Christmas. they will just be flashing along with my stars on top of the house.. still look pretty.

I am very annoyed this year, my parents house and they had windows put in , in October. they didn't do a good job so they had come back out last week and thought they were going fix them well that guy only came to see what was wrong the guy to fix it is coming on the 20th so i have to wait till after that day to decorate the bottom of the driveway and the yard... gives me 3 days to get it finished just hope the 21-23rd is nice weather.

20171110_180406.jpg

pics from video  (1).png

Edited by PCguy
  • Like 1

Got a few pics. Still need to wrap my arch, finish wrapping the candy cane tree, whole roof, mega tree. Crap I go live in just over a week. I gotta get off this thing and back to work!6ad6fc1c7deb5d990801e3d40d037fd3.jpgcab099f013a02dd5767bb599b3ccb2b8.jpg7eba2911f8ddb8084010028b02aa27bc.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How big is your mega tree and how many lights?:) We have the same santa as you do (by your arch)  Does he have C7 also? And on the hook head, do the screw hooks go through and get a nut on the back side,or just screw into the plastic?

How big is your mega tree and how many lights?:) We have the same santa as you do (by your arch)  Does he have C7 also? And on the hook head, do the screw hooks go through and get a nut on the back side,or just screw into the plastic?
Mega tree is ten foot. Haven't fully decided on amount. I completely scrapped my original plan of 4 colors with a controller so just doing a TON of multi colored incans.

My buddy bought a house and it and that tree was in his attic so he gave it to me since he's a Grinch. It definitely has the C7s .

My hook head just has the hooks screwed in the PVC and slightly poke out the back. I had a million of them so decided to just save a couple bucks this year.

I call these the "light poles". Got them wrapped up and out over the weekend. Its basically a U made out of wood that slides over our porch pillars. All the screws that hold the lights are on the back of the U (not in my house! YAY!) and no wasted lights on the side facing the door. Each one has 5 sections so they can dance to the music.

23415429_1648490945201321_1155291881340994614_o.jpg

• Like 1

I like all the little tid bits too we are seeing on how people do things. Sparking more ideas and lowering that bank account

Started last weekend and wrapped 14 trees in my front yard.  Still have lots more to do with lawn lights, candy canes around the pond and a whole slew of inflatables.

DSC_1228-1.jpg

DSC_1237-1.jpg

DSC_1245-1.jpg

• Like 1

I've been working on a variety of things getting ready for Christmas.  I swapped out all the lights in my blow molds for LED's and I'm making stands for my newest reindeers.  I still need to put tomato cage trees together, lightening sticks and a mega tree.  We've had an unexpected cold snap and snow over the last 3 weeks.  Finally had a warm day yesterday and I was able to get the lights up along the roof line last night.

IMG_1893.jpg

• Like 1

All I have left is my icicle lights. I was putting out the santa sleigh on halloween, and I tripped, and injured my wrist, and got set back almost two weeks. I like my decorations to be done by about the 2nd week of november. Here's what I've got so far. 100% beautiful, warm, inviting incandescent lighting. About 8500 lights. 

100_3951.JPG

100_3952.JPG

100_3953.JPG

100_3954.JPG

100_3955.JPG

100_3956.JPG

100_3957.JPG

100_3960.JPG

• Like 1

I actually got a big jump this year and finished. Last night was the test of it all on. 20171114_1836051.thumb.jpg.bab1841a988a17e0649122c7cc241256.jpg

• Like 3

Finished! 
20171114_164557-1.thumb.jpg.6ce937c8c00beacb30b48bd22330446d.jpg
Very nice Big J. I'll probably be getting it down to the wire with mine. On and off rain and little kids have been killing my setup

• Like 1

Finished! 
20171114_164557-1.thumb.jpg.6ce937c8c00beacb30b48bd22330446d.jpg

I love the "merry Christmas". Did you make that?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes I did,measures 18' x 4' Tall     2nd year we had it, come apart in 3 sections:) Lots of ties , but SOOOO worth it. If it wasn't so cost prohibitive to ship, I could have sold it 30 times.

Edited by Big J Illinois

1 hour ago, Big J Illinois said:

Yes I did,measures 18' x 4' Tall     2nd year we had it, come apart in 3 sections:) Lots of ties , but SOOOO worth it. If it wasn't so cost prohibitive to ship, I could have sold it 30 times.

What did you make it out of and did you use a specific template?