News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Quirky Christmas?

What's the quirkiest Christmas decoration you've seen? Join Us!

Big J Illinois

Pics of anyone's display progress

1 hour ago, dchackert said:

Finally got some decent string of days to finish up. Had my 4 year old daughter "helping" me and this beaut of a sweater to power through to the finish. Should finish and hopefully have some pics tomorrow of everything.8181060c1219979c6927762ed1728279.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

`Ya filthy animal` is actually one of my favorite things to say -- and the BESTEST part of `Home Alone'. I love that part of the movie.

2 hours ago, vette-kid said:

They didn't show up well in the lit picture. They are Disney neon glow frames. It's led made to look like neon and they are BRIGHT! I'm eyeballing a Santa, snowman and reindeer just like them for next year. A little pricey unless you get then on sale though. 599dd9c9e6b0f4b564b67dedaaf1893e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

vette-kid: how ironic!   I actually have those two Disney neons, but sorry, did not recognize them in your display.  You're right, they are pricey ($89 at Lowe's).  I also bought the two Disney Halloween neons for Halloween for half-price, since it was the day after Halloween, and will use them next year.

How many lights, what kind and how tall?

Top of the star is about 18 feet, 2,400 mini lights LEDs, We are hoping the neighbors like Christmas lights lol

vette-kid: how ironic!   I actually have those two Disney neons, but sorry, did not recognize them in your display.  You're right, they are pricey ($89 at Lowe's).  I also bought the two Disney Halloween neons for Halloween for half-price, since it was the day after Halloween, and will use them next year.

Ha, I got the Halloween ones as well. 60% of at ours. I only got the Christmas ones at 10%off because I didn't think they would last until after Christmas sales.

382746a2056cdfa389c9239de7563771.jpg

Got my tree up today! Fun to see all your progress too!

That giant wreath is spectacular up there!

Best day one ever setting up. All lights up.  Tomorrow is plugging everything  in.  

IMG952190.jpg

• Like 1

Some finishing touches coming tomorrow and the lights will turn on Thursday night! This picture is a mostly done display. For those curious individuals, about 35k lights in the pic

20171120_174029.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mwalz said:

Some finishing touches coming tomorrow and the lights will turn on Thursday night! This picture is a mostly done display. For those curious individuals, about 35k lights in the pic

20171120_174029.jpg

I love your huge snowman!

up close of the house mom put out her candles this year.
3c7afc4160ec4bad2004b22bcda0ff64.jpg

re a ranged the mini trees so all inline you can't see the far left one. and just the tip of the 3rd one.. 262085f7efcf7c5c02809ea51af176f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Thebug said:

I love your huge snowman!

Thank you! A lot of others love him and he is one of my favorites too

It's as done as its going to get until I have more time later this week. 

20171122_225744.jpg

• Like 1

Got basically everything done besides the mega tree. Got held up yesterday putting an offer in on a new house. Everything up now is ready to shine tonight. Few minor small things I'll put up over the next few days. Hopefully if we get this house the Realtor says I don't need to take my lights down to sell my current one!1f4e0a376caed20a378b4bcfaf498023.jpg0335ebcaacdcf250bf5877fdbf33a070.jpg908716da0c5486d447b7aea391f79fa3.jpgc6ff088a42b842229eb32c2856577280.jpg

I'll hopefully get some better evening pics of the next few days

Anyone have a static display and play your own music still over FM transmitter or have a Tune in sign to the local Christmas radio station? Thought about doing one this year

I've got the roof flashing between 3 sections. Trail of lights to my star has begun to sag to need to get that tightened up.5d64289d4900b3ce32ec009d94e471c4.jpg0d227f804e67f0d1c2abf18ce686eb0f.jpg775ee3178eb6133f86b6dd23fb2b7a28.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dchackert said:

Anyone have a static display and play your own music still over FM transmitter or have a Tune in sign to the local Christmas radio station? Thought about doing one this year

I have a static display, but I still play music through a speaker (wrapped as a present) on my porch. 

43 minutes ago, Maroonz28 said:

Thinking of doing the same Logan but afraid the neighbors might get irritated 

My neighbors are all elderly people ranging in age from 50 something -80 years old. It's an old stereo speaker that I found at goodwill. You can hear it from the road, but once you start getting away from the lights, it's hard to hear. 

20 hours ago, dchackert said:

I have some lights synchronized to music and I have them going through speakers in the yard and an fml transmitter. I put the speakers in the middle of the yard so I don't have to crank the volume to get it to reach the street.

Been doing it for years and luckily the neighbors are cool with it. Can't hear it much once you go past the display.

80db486cc95be92c10238ae7b0aa4359.jpg

Ran my first successful show last night, now I need to figure out how to add more lights lol

• Like 1

Finally Done.. Sorry my cell doesnt do well with led lights LOL.

Very classy looking! I like it