News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
Big J Illinois

Pics of anyone's display progress

Let it snow... Best Christmas Season so far for us in Jersey! 2 sugar coatings so far! It seems so magical when the lights are covered in snow, brings me back to a kid again...

20171215_192649.jpg

20171215_192643.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/14/2017 at 8:18 AM, debbiedowner said:

Hi, I am new to the site.

Welcome aboard! Great work on the display, it looks fantastic. I also love the the Santa Suit hanging! 

Thank you Diamond. I love yours also. Did you buy or make your own lighted gift boxes?

We lived in PA. Near a Christmas tree farm. I miss the snow at Christmas. And how at nite it felt like you lived in a Christmas Village. 

2 minutes ago, debbiedowner said:

Thank you Diamond. I love yours also. Did you buy or make your own lighted gift boxes?

Thank you as well...

Boxes- bought them from Sam's and they no longer make them :( - they are the best I have found. You can see them back on page 4 of this post. 

This was all before I had to scale back a bit to sell my house. On a positive note I get to completely redesign my display next year with a new house. Looking forward to that!ac52be895b145169e8e601674aaf05c9.jpg496d84127a31bb95d7da2628a03f7bf6.jpge2a1f7cf8bd7e288646f04e99b0e3273.jpgIMAG1885.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, dchackert said:

This was all before I had to scale back a bit to sell my house. On a positive note I get to completely redesign my display next year with a new house. Looking forward to that!ac52be895b145169e8e601674aaf05c9.jpg496d84127a31bb95d7da2628a03f7bf6.jpge2a1f7cf8bd7e288646f04e99b0e3273.jpgIMAG1885.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

looks great great job 

Finally got video of this year's display.  Even though my friend did an excellent job on the video, it's really long, so don't feel you've got to set through all of it. The second video is off of a local show, "Explore Tulsa".  We start at the 14:12 mark.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2017 at 7:49 PM, mwalz said:

mnull, I love the fact your blow molds are not spread all over your yard, you have a lot going on but they are displayed nicely. What did you use for the white section in your river? I've been trying to figure out a material to use for that for a while

That white material is the underlayment material you would use prior to putting down laminate flooring. Worked great, in the past I have used other stuff, finally found something that works.

Love your display Slankard. Are a lot of your characters antiques? Did you make your own sleigh? And what size lights do you lay on the ground? 

On 12/18/2017 at 5:11 PM, slankard said:

Finally got video of this year's display.  Even though my friend did an excellent job on the video, it's really long, so don't feel you've got to set through all of it. The second video is off of a local show, "Explore Tulsa".  We start at the 14:12 mark.

Sorry DD, it's been crazy around here.  Some of the cut outs I've made, but the set of two carolers and the set of three carolers I bought at antique shops, along with the Christmas Shoppe sign and the Christmas Trees metal sign.  I probably won't get a picture up, but I just bought three of the cutest girl carolers that look like they're from the 60's at a shop in Joplin two weeks ago.  I use Wal Mart lights on the ground, and I'm amazed how they stand up to rain and snow.  I just bought 5000 more this week.

Sorry DD, it's been crazy around here.  Some of the cut outs I've made, but the set of two carolers and the set of three carolers I bought at antique shops, along with the Christmas Shoppe sign and the Christmas Trees metal sign.  I probably won't get a picture up, but I just bought three of the cutest girl carolers that look like they're from the 60's at a shop in Joplin two weeks ago.  I use Wal Mart lights on the ground, and I'm amazed how they stand up to rain and snow.  I just bought 5000 more this week.