News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

Quirky Christmas?

What's the quirkiest Christmas decoration you've seen? Join Us!

TED

Adding insult to injury

Gee, if you are going to charge me 4x the normal price do you really have to hit me up for an additional 7.99 for shipping?

http://surubaby.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=186204&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YnfspXm1wIVTbnACh0S8wPLEAYYBSABEgIjE_D_BwE

TED

P.S.  There's no real point to this post other than sharing a little humor.  :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TED said:

Gee, if you are going to charge me 4x the normal price do you really have to hit me up for an additional 7.99 for shipping?

http://surubaby.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=186204&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YnfspXm1wIVTbnACh0S8wPLEAYYBSABEgIjE_D_BwE

TED

P.S.  There's no real point to this post other than sharing a little humor.  :D

Surubaby's website says "make your kids happy".  LOL!  Should say "make your kids happy, while we rip you off".  That company must be owned by that famous Law Firm called "Dewey, Cheatem and Howe".

• Haha 2

Ted, we have to understand that they need to make a profit to stay in business.  When you consider that they had to pay General Foam $16.70 for the tombstone and the added cost for it being shipped to them if they didn't pick it up with a full load of other blow molds to resell, they probably needed the $7.99 shipping since they would only be making $100 profit on the tombstone.  The  2017 price list from General Foam shows $16.70 for the tombstone and no, I do not have any qualms about posting the GF wholesale price on the tombstone since they are closing their doors for good in four or five weeks.

Did anyone else notice that they have it as 33" and it is actually only 28"?

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer
  • Like 1

This makes me wonder what a decent profit would be.  Seems to me that $100.00 profit per piece is pretty darn good.  Am I wrong?

• Like 1

No Donna, you are not wrong it would be a ripoff profit and I do know what I am talking about after owning and operating our own business for 25 years before we retired.  Even a $50 profit on that tombstone would be a high profit when considering the wholesale cost of $16.70, we would have been in fat city if we could have bought items for $16.70 and made a $50 profit on it.  A fair selling price for the tombstone would be approximately $40-50 in a retail store depending on how much the shipping cost them for the item, it would not necessarily be that much from an online business because they do not have as much overhead to pay as the average brick & mortar business.

Mel

• Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 10:07 AM, Allen L. said:

Surubaby's website says "make your kids happy".  LOL!  Should say "make your kids happy, while we rip you off".  That company must be owned by that famous Law Firm called "Dewey, Cheatem and Howe".

I think they should change that slogan to, "Make our kids happy--support their college fund!"

On 11/30/2017 at 1:37 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Ted, we have to understand that they need to make a profit to stay in business.  When you consider that they had to pay General Foam $16.70 for the tombstone and the added cost for it being shipped to them if they didn't pick it up with a full load of other blow molds to resell, they probably needed the $7.99 shipping since they would only be making $100 profit on the tombstone.  The  2017 price list from General Foam shows $16.70 for the tombstone and no, I do not have any qualms about posting the GF wholesale price on the tombstone since they are closing their doors for good in four or five weeks.

Did anyone else notice that they have it as 33" and it is actually only 28"?

Mel

I totally missed the 33" mistake.  When I went back and looked at it again I see that it's listed as 33 inch in the title, then in the description it's described as 28 inch, and finally the specifications at the bottom say it is 33 inch.   It appears that they can't keep their story strait!

TED

• Like 1