News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
vette-kid

After Christmas sales

Yup, I'm already thing about next year and mankind a list of what I'd like to get when things go on sale. I have access to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Walgreens, k mart and big Lots. Anyone know when most of these start their sales?

I missed all of Lowes stuff last year,I guess they started Christmas eve. Trying to plan my runs based on who starts when. Ideally I'd wait until it's past 50%. Got a lot at HD last year for 75% off plus my military 10%.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last year Lowes was offering 20%-40% off the week before Christmas.  On Christmas eve both HomeDepot and Lowes were all ready pulling the Christmas items and sending back to the manufactures for credit.  Within three or four days everything had pulled and Valentines display were popping up.  Didn't really see any steep discounts.   I think the retailers have figured out the floor space is too valuable and it's more profitable to throw the stuff out or send it back to the manufacture.   Or local Lowes store gives the all of their unsold Holliday items to Habitat for Humanity to get the tax write-off.  I suspect they do it on the day before Christmas to so they can get full retail value on their donation. 

Interesting, or Home Depot got to 75%. I wander of each store or regional manager has some autonomy there. Walgreens also got to 75. Lowes here was out by the 27th or 28th.

Our Lowe's and Home Depots here in Florida are out of everything worth using by then. It's not even worth a trip to the store. The shelves are bare now. I found that online suppliers like Action Lighting, etc offer good discounts.

2 hours ago, vette-kid said:

Yup, I'm already thing about next year and mankind a list of what I'd like to get when things go on sale. I have access to Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Walgreens, k mart and big Lots. Anyone know when most of these start their sales?

I missed all of Lowes stuff last year,I guess they started Christmas eve. Trying to plan my runs based on who starts when. Ideally I'd wait until it's past 50%. Got a lot at HD last year for 75% off plus my military 10%.

Our Lowes didn't restock as they sold their Christmas decorations so when the normal sales started the day after Christmas there was virtually nothing at Lowes.  I usually start at 6am on Dec 26th and I start with Walmarts.  Folks can have Black Friday.  I would rather fight the smaller crowds for the December 26th.  Good luck to you.  Merry Christmas!

Our Lowe's and Home Depots here in Florida are out of everything worth using by then. It's not even worth a trip to the store. The shelves are bare now. I found that online suppliers like Action Lighting, etc offer good discounts.

Interesting. I'm also in Florida and HD wasn't out until after new years. Lowes was bare by the 27th. K mart had a ton.

our pre sale will be starting in a couple weeks. Thats the best deal of the year. Plus, we always have inventory, so if you order early, your pre sale may actually instantly ship. https://www.holiday-light-express.com/

What kind of discount? I'll be needing multi color c6 and warm white c9 for sure. I'd probably rather stay with ecosmart on the c9 to make sure they match color though.

47 minutes ago, vette-kid said:

Interesting. I'm also in Florida and HD wasn't out until after new years. Lowes was bare by the 27th. K mart had a ton.

What kind of discount? I'll be needing multi color c6 and warm white c9 for sure. I'd probably rather stay with ecosmart on the c9 to make sure they match color though.

Our HDs are out of things that you would use for lighting or in a display. Maybe there'll be a restocking period as it isn't even Dec yet. But by the time the good mark downs arrive there is nothing worth buying. But anywho earlybird gets the worm as they say.

PS I'm in the Port St Lucie / Ft Pierce area

Edited by Brian Roberson
Spelling lol

Ask your store, or dept, managers for the markdowns at Lowe's and Home Depot.  I know they do start early, like Dec 15th @ 20% off, then by the 20th it is already 50% off.  The manager I talked with said it cost them more in man hours to pack it up for return, then to sell it off and get it out of the store.  And if they have a quantity of something you are interested in - believe me, they will work with you on an even better deal.  ie:  "You have 8 of these, if I take them all what can you do for me?"

20 hours ago, vette-kid said:

Depends on the product. But 10-40% off. We run the sale from mid December through the end of February. 

I was in a Lowes in northern CT today and they were already starting to consolidate the Christmas merchandise and shrink the section down.  I think the retailers have figured out that they would rather have bare shelves on the 20th than half full shelves on the 26th.  I do miss the days of me and my sons filling multiple carts at Target, bright and early on the 26th.

I was in a Lowes in northern CT today and they were already starting to consolidate the Christmas merchandise and shrink the section down.  I think the retailers have figured out that they would rather have bare shelves on the 20th than half full shelves on the 26th.  I do miss the days of me and my sons filling multiple carts at Target, bright and early on the 26th.

Guess it depends on where you are. Ours are still getting stuff in. Shipping for the deals is part of the fun for me. Although I ended up with some useless stuff like one of those tree dazzlers!

This is all about big data and companies attempting to maximaize profits.  Using historical data the stores in CT have probably found sales of Christmas items fall off at this time and are phasing in other products to make them more money per sq ft of floor space.   At other stores and in other parts of the county big data is showing them they are still making a good profit selling Christmas items.

Big data has shown interesting characteristics about shoppers and buying habits.  A study showed when Christmas music is played in stores in September there’s about a 10% increase in sales.  No conspiracy theories here. If you are unfamiliar with Big Data you and what the Big Data and those reward cards you use tells companies about you take a look at this TED presentation.

Not trying to get political here, but Big Data does and has influenced elections.  It’s amazing how accurate Big Data is and how it’s being used by companies. 

https://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_golbeck_the_curly_fry_conundrum_why_social_media_likes_say_more_than_you_might_think    

Walmart always goes 50 percent off the day after Christmas, and 75 percent off usually around Dec 30 or 31.  If you want to go the Walmart route, scout out all of the Walmarts within easy driving distance December 23 or 24 to see who has what.  The 75 percent off isn't always as predictable, so I usually start dropping by around the 30th.  Don't be afraid to ask about the 75 percent off, because a lot of times the Walmarts mark the 75 percent off independently of one another, whether they're supposed to or not.  If you're looking for white or multi colored LED's,  there's usually plenty left at 75 percent off.

Stores are definitely getting tactful on the way they do their Christmas discounts. I bought these  Lowes Snowflakes  on Nov 15 for an amazing $39 for the set. They then went on "sale" the following week for 71.98 LOL-- I bought 10 boxes of them! But they were too bright/cool white LED, for my display.

To me its always a crap shoot on the percentage sales and the dates they discount.  I have always had luck talking to managers and buying in bulk the 1st- 2nd week of Dec.

Depends on the product. But 10-40% off. We run the sale from mid December through the end of February. 

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out on the c6s for sure.

Just goes to show you how much profit there is in items like these. 

I have no problem with them making a profit, even a big one if customer is willing to pay the asking price then I say it's fair. Lots of study goes into pricing, as price goes up, number of customers goes down. It's not always more profitable to sell at the lowest price to maximize customer base.

But for all that, I'm not willing to pay full retail on most of this stuff. Half off is about my starting point most of the time.

31 minutes ago, vette-kid said:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out on the c6s for sure.

Hey vette, have you tried Action Lighting? I get all of my incandescent and LEDs from them. Here's a link for c6s;

https://www.actionlighting.com/50-light-c6-led-weatherproof-light-set-100ledc6504/

Edited by Brian Roberson
Added link

43 minutes ago, Brian Roberson said:

Hey vette, have you tried Action Lighting? I get all of my incandescent and LEDs from them. Here's a link for c6s;

https://www.actionlighting.com/50-light-c6-led-weatherproof-light-set-100ledc6504/

Just an FYI. Our normal price is 25% less than this... 

https://www.holiday-light-express.com/C6_LED_Christmas_Lights-50.php

24 minutes ago, hotrod1965 said:

Just an FYI. Our normal price is 25% less than this... 

https://www.holiday-light-express.com/C6_LED_Christmas_Lights-50.php

Thanks been buying from them for 10 years. I haven't heard of your company till this week. I generally buy my C7 & C9 wire by the 500' roll with 12 and 6 inch socket spacing. I haven't looked yet but do you sell smart and dumb ribbon too. I will check out your site. Thanks again

Can't believe I'm reading all the posts about Lowe's and HD either running low or sold out of Xmas stuff. In Northeast Ohio, the Lowe's and HD are practically fully stocked. The week after Xmas, markdowns are at 50%; then after New Year's, it's 75% off. By then, it's stuff you don't actually need.

10 hours ago, Brian Roberson said:

Thanks been buying from them for 10 years. I haven't heard of your company till this week. I generally buy my C7 & C9 wire by the 500' roll with 12 and 6 inch socket spacing. I haven't looked yet but do you sell smart and dumb ribbon too. I will check out your site. Thanks again

All our RGB stuff is ws2811 smart pixels. It's pretty slim pickings this time of year, but pre sale will kick off in about 12 days and you can order whatever you want at a discount. 

My local HD has got it figured out on LEDs.  The day after Christmas last year they had very little LED inventory.  Bought two of the mosquito light thingys at 75% off but not using them this year.  My go to place has been Target. Our local one runs out of 50% off LEDs pretty fast but if I drive to a few different stores I was able to score a bunch. They are all sitting in boxes in the way down so I am hoping my better half gives me the ok to stock up for more this year.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:02 PM, hotrod1965 said:

our pre sale will be starting in a couple weeks. Thats the best deal of the year. Plus, we always have inventory, so if you order early, your pre sale may actually instantly ship. https://www.holiday-light-express.com/

We have been buying from you every year during your sale and plan to do so again.  :)

On 12/3/2017 at 12:39 AM, Rotatorman said:

Can't believe I'm reading all the posts about Lowe's and HD either running low or sold out of Xmas stuff. In Northeast Ohio, the Lowe's and HD are practically fully stocked. The week after Xmas, markdowns are at 50%; then after New Year's, it's 75% off. By then, it's stuff you don't actually need.

Yep, started about 3-4yrs ago where basically the store was blown out on Black Friday weekend.  Sometimes I feel bad for the people searching for lighting and props the first weekend of December only to have the look of "what are we going to do now".  My understanding is that they do not restock after Thanksgiving.

Yep, started about 3-4yrs ago where basically the store was blown out on Black Friday weekend.  Sometimes I feel bad for the people searching for lighting and props the first weekend of December only to have the look of "what are we going to do now".  My understanding is that they do not restock after Thanksgiving.

Ours still have a lot, but it's dwindling for sure. Doesn't look like ours getting restocked, but I think they'll have some stuff come Christmas weekend. I've been checking once or twice a week. Walgreens is 1/2, but moving slow, so I'm holding out for more.