News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

The Inflatable King Of Ohio

Do you have any info on these?

28 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

They are at a local thrift store and I'm wondering if I should buy them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those look like they're in great shape.  Depending on the price, I would buy them.

2 hours ago, Allen L. said:

Those look like they're in great shape.  Depending on the price, I would buy them.

49.00 for santa and 40 for the set of candles. The candels have a very old cord but I may be able to find a diffrent cord for them. Like those very old brown lamp cords. Can I ust this cord as a replacement?

image.jpg

Edited by The Inflatable King Of Ohio

1 hour ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

49.00 for santa and 40 for the set of candles. The candels have a very old cord but I may be able to find a diffrent cord for them. Like those very old brown lamp cords. Can I ust this cord as a replacement?

image.jpg

Here are some replacement sockets made by Leviton.  You would have to attach the plug/cords to them.

1) Leviton 2052-13 (Blow Mold "Figures")

2) Leviton 3352-F (Blow Mold "Noel Candles" & "Lamp Post")

3) Leviton 3352-4 (Blow Mold "Figures")

These are located at Home Depot.

Leviton 3352-4  $3.24 each

Leviton 3352-f  $4.58 each

Leviton 2052-13  $8.03 each

Cords can be replaced by taking a cheap 12 foot extension cord and cutting the outlet part off.  Then attach to screws on replacement sockets.

59e8ddad079d0_5163P1HpVL__SY606__jpg_574b5da8f9c108020de9b883f816e364.jpg

717odMdKGkL__SY450__jpg_a050dc5e9019d89e70b5e891fc47ae67.jpg

51bZYjL99bL__SL1000__thumb_jpg_10784ba49992b4e17e4d8b86a69926db.jpg

westinghouse-lamp-accessories-7010100-64_1000_thumb_jpg_0c08ec520b17dbcc957e10e9b067f091.jpg

ab9bf2ca-3fe0-4bc5-a1a4-392399ba274e_1_cd0e42910803f19c64dc397a9d35ad74_jpg_1dbcfcca5bad09718fe147185812d215.jpg

"Dapol" is the manufacturer of the candles:

http://www.blow-molded.com/Dapol___Candles.html

"General Foam" is the manufacturer of the Santa:

http://www.blow-molded.com/General_Foam___Santa_Claus.html

This website has a lot of information on blow molds (manufacturer & dates).  This site is by Kevin, who is a member of Planet Christmas, and Mel help him too.

I agree with Allen.  The paint on Santa looks great, especially the face, from what I can tell.  As far as cost goes it's a personal thing.  How much I am willing to pay depends on how much I want that blow mold.  If I really wanted that Santa and the paint is good and no cracks I would pay $49.00 because if I get it online then there's shipping charges.  

29 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

"Dapol" is the manufacturer of the candles:

http://www.blow-molded.com/Dapol___Candles.html

"General Foam" is the manufacturer of the Santa:

http://www.blow-molded.com/General_Foam___Santa_Claus.html

This website has a lot of information on blow molds (manufacturer & dates).  This site is by Kevin, who is a member of Planet Christmas, and Mel help him too.

I looked at the back of the candels and I seen a company that started with a d but I forgot it. I also looked at the Santa and it said general foam. I want to know the year(s) that they were made. Also the rarity.

1 hour ago, donna123 said:

I agree with Allen.  The paint on Santa looks great, especially the face, from what I can tell.  As far as cost goes it's a personal thing.  How much I am willing to pay depends on how much I want that blow mold.  If I really wanted that Santa and the paint is good and no cracks I would pay $49.00 because if I get it online then there's shipping charges.  

I think I will go back and get the Santa and the candles. I'll do what Allen said with the cord and cutting the sockets off.

41 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

I think I will go back and get the Santa and the candles. I'll do what Allen said with the cord and cutting the sockets off.

1 hour ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

I looked at the back of the candels and I seen a company that started with a d but I forgot it. I also looked at the Santa and it said general foam. I want to know the year(s) that they were made. Also the rarity.

Dapol was in business from 1947 until 1977.  Looking at the shape and style of the flame tips, I'm guessing those Noel Candles are from the 1960's.  I have seen a few on ebay from time to time.

General Foam started manufacturing the "Dancing Santa" in 2002.  It is still shown in their present catalog.  I have seen many of these on ebay, but shipping charges are high.

The Santa is very common and is the General Foam #C5750 Dancing Santa he is shown as new in their 2002 price list and was made with the black mittens  up through 2007 and with red mittens from 2008 up through closing. this year.  He was made from the Empire molds which they purchased in 2000.  The Dapol candles are seen occasionally and were made in both painted and unpainted versions in the 1960's & 70's.  I have several newspaper ads from 1968 through 1977 showing them.  The candle is their #541-543 depending on the color.

Mel

Dapol Noel Candle  (#541-543) (40 In) (800).jpg

Just now, Allen L. said:

Dapol was in business from 1947 until 1977.  Looking at the shape and style of the flame tips, I'm guessing those Noel Candles are from the 1960's.  I have seen a few on ebay from time to time.

General Foam started manufacturing the "Dancing Santa" in 2002.  It is still shown in their present catalog.  I have seen many of these on ebay, but shipping charges are high.

Ok I looked at the website. It's pretty nice! Thanks for the year on the candles. I seen the year for the Santa on the webstie. I may go back tomorrow and buy them. You are right about the shipping charges on the Santa. a set of candles are on eBay but they are more money than the ones at the thrift store. All the Santas online are more than the one at the thrift store. I'm kind of liking blow molds more now!

2 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

The Santa is very common and is the General Foam #C5750 Dancing Santa he is shown as new in their 2002 price list and was made with the black mittens  up through 2007 and with red mittens from 2008 up through closing. this year.  He was made from the Empire molds which they purchased in 2000.  The Dapol candles are seen occasionally and were made in both painted and unpainted versions in the 1960's & 70's.  I have several newspaper ads from 1968 through 1977 showing them.  The candle is their #541-543 depending on the color.

Mel

So is the set of two unpained candles worth 40? And is the Santa worth 45?

3 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Mel

Thanks for posting the information, Mel.  I was thinking about sending you a message and seeing if you could help. ;)

I would say that the candles are are worth the $40,, that would average $20 per candle and I would pay that if I didn't already have them.  As for the Santa, I don't know the value of those as I never check the prices on them due to having ours for several years now.

Mel

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Ok I looked at the website. It's pretty nice! Thanks for the year on the candles. I seen the year for the Santa on the webstie. I may go back tomorrow and buy them. You are right about the shipping charges on the Santa. a set of candles are on eBay but they are more money than the ones at the thrift store. All the Santas online are more than the one at the thrift store. I'm kind of liking blow molds more now!

Glad I could help.  By the way, Mel is the expert on all information on blow molds. He can really give you great information.  If you ever want dates, prices and rarity information, he's the one with all the answers. 

1 minute ago, Allen L. said:

Glad I could help.  By the way, Mel is the expert on all information on blow molds. He can really give you great information.  If you ever want dates, prices and rarity information, he's the one with all the answers. 

Ok thanks!

3 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

Thanks for posting the information, Mel.  I was thinking about sending you a message and seeing if you could help. ;)

You are welcome Allen, good to see you active here again lately.

Mel

5 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

I would say that the candles are are worth the $40,, that would average $20 per candle and I would pay that if I didn't already have them.  As for the Santa, I don't know the value of those as I never check the prices on them due to having ours for several years now.

Mel

5 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Mel

Ok thanks!! I will be going back tomorrow to get the Santa and the candles! That comes out to 90.95 for all three!

22 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

I don't have the information on what year Dapol actually closed their doors but they filed for bankruptcy in April 1979 and their assets were auctioned off in January 1980.

Mel

• Like 1

I got my money counted! Now I only have 20.00 left because I have boughten various Gemmy items through out the year and I also got a Douglas fir (the original from 1996) and a singing dog trio today. I'll update you tomorrow when I get them. (I may sneak in another 18" blow mold Santa too) lol

1 minute ago, Mel Fischer said:

You are welcome Allen, good to see you active here again lately.

Mel

Thanks, Mel!  I'm trying to slowly become active again. After I lost my old job two years ago, I got a new job that keeps me so busy I don't know if I'm coming or going.  I almost lost my Christmas spirit and didn't want to put up any decorations last year.  It's hard when you have a boss that drives you crazy, because they act like they're high on drugs.  She goes around our backs and looks through our desk phones to see who we've been talking to.  She even showed me on her mobile phone how she has a hidden camera in her Grandson's room, so she can see everything he is doing.  The woman is a first class nut job!   Oh well, I'm blessed to have a job! 

13 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

I got my money counted! Now I only have 20.00 left because I have boughten various Gemmy items through out the year and I also got a Douglas fir (the original from 1996) and a singing dog trio today. I'll update you tomorrow when I get them. (I may sneak in another 18" blow mold Santa too) lol

Congrats on all those items, and welcome to the blow mold family too!  :)

• Haha 2

Thanks for the welcoming! I'll have 49.27 left after I would hopefully get the blow molds tomorrow! That means I could still get a little bit more before Christmas! I can also buy more extension cords too. (Who doesn't need more cords?) :)

1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

Mel

Wich one do you like better? Painted or unpainted? I like the painted but I'll buy the unpainted ones only because of the low price and they are 5 minutes away from me.

3 hours ago, donna123 said:

Plus both candles have rocks in them. And the Santa has one large rock in it too.

9 hours ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Thanks for the welcoming! I'll have 49.27 left after I would hopefully get the blow molds tomorrow! That means I could still get a little bit more before Christmas! I can also buy more extension cords too. (Who doesn't need more cords?) :)

Wich one do you like better? Painted or unpainted? I like the painted but I'll buy the unpainted ones only because of the low price and they are 5 minutes away from me.

I'm partial to the painted type too, but the unpainted is still nice.  Remember, you can always paint the white and green colors on them for next year.  Krylon  Fusion is a spray paint made for plastics. I have used it, and it works great!  There are other posts located here that talk about it and show pictures.

9 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

I'm partial to the painted type too, but the unpainted is still nice.  Remember, you can always paint the white and green colors on them for next year.  Krylon  Fusion is a spray paint made for plastics. I have used it, and it works great!  There are other posts located here that talk about it and show pictures.

Ok I might paint them. Do you think I should?

18 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Ok I might paint them. Do you think I should?

I normally paint blow molds to their original manufactured colors, if the original paint is faded or scratched-off.  If you are a traditionalist/collector, I would not paint them, otherwise paint them the way you want them to look in your display. The white and green paint job would make them stand out better.  It's really up to you.

By the way, I have to leave and go do some Santa shopping, but should be back later this afternoon.  Just wanted you to know, so if I don't post anything for awhile you'll understand.  :)

Edited by Allen L.