Jump to content
News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

The Inflatable King Of Ohio

Do you have any info on these?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

I normally paint blow molds to their original manufactured colors, if the original paint is faded or scratched-off.  If you are a traditionalist/collector, I would not paint them, otherwise paint them the way you want them to look in your display. The white and green paint job would make them stand out better.  It's really up to you.

 

By the way, I have to leave and go do some Santa shopping, but should be back later this afternoon.  Just wanted you to know, so if I don't post anything for awhile you'll understand.  :)

Ok. No problem. the previous owners put glitter on the Noel and the wax drippings and now all the glitter has fallen off. Can I get the remaining glitter off with out scratching the plastic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look great and you did the right thing about the damaged Santa.  As for the glitter on the candles, you might try a little Goof-Off or something similar on them.

Mel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

They look great and you did the right thing about the damaged Santa.  As for the glitter on the candles, you might try a little Goof-Off or something similar on them.

Mel

Ok I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully I will get some 40 watt bulbs and extension cords for my other three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Ok I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully I will get some 40 watt bulbs and extension cords for my other three.

I usually put a bit of Goof Off on a rag rather then the blow mold to see if it will work first.

Mel

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deleted.  Mel just gave the answer  Thanks, Mel! :)

3 hours ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

I got them! I didn't get the Santa because it was cracked on the back.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Congrats! 

Edited by Allen L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

I usually put a bit of Goof Off on a rag rather then the blow mold to see if it will work first.

Mel

Thanks Mel! Thanks Allen!

13 minutes ago, Allen L. said:

Deleted.  Mel just gave the answer  Thanks, Mel! :)

Congrats! 

Thanks! I looked on the back of my snowman and it had the Empire logo on it. Does that mean it's by Empire or does the General Foam snowman still have the logo on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Thanks Mel! Thanks Allen!

Thanks! I looked on the back of my snowman and it had the Empire logo on it. Does that mean it's by Empire or does the General Foam snowman still have the logo on it?

I would say that any blow mold that has the Empire logo was created by them, before they went out of business and sold their molds to General Foam.  Please correct me, if I'm wrong Mel.

Empire Snowman:  http://www.blow-molded.com/Empire___Snowmen.html

 

 

Edited by Allen L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allen L. said:

I would say that any blow mold that has the Empire logo was created by them, before they went out of business and sold their molds to General Foam.  Please correct me, if I'm wrong Mel.

Empire Snowman:  http://www.blow-molded.com/Empire___Snowmen.html

 

 

You are right Allen if the Empire name is on it , it was made by Empire.  Some of the left over inventory at Empire might have been sold by General Foam when they purchased Empire but it was made by Empire.  General Foam modified the molds and took the Empire information off before they started making the molds.  Basically MSL did the same thing with the Beco molds when they purchased Beco, they took the Beco name off but left the catalog number on the molds.  That is why we see the molds both with and without the Beco name on it.  To my knowledge MSL did not put their name or logo on the blow molds they produced from the Beco molds.  General Foam did put their name on those molds when the purchased them in 1970.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 2:00 PM, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

They are at a local thrift store and I'm wondering if I should buy them. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow they look like they are in very good condition but I think the price is a bit steep, especially from a thrift store. I think a good price for blowmolds is in the $20 range for candles and $30 for the larger ones.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allen L. said:

I would say that any blow mold that has the Empire logo was created by them, before they went out of business and sold their molds to General Foam.  Please correct me, if I'm wrong Mel.

Empire Snowman:  http://www.blow-molded.com/Empire___Snowmen.html

 

 

 

27 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

You are right Allen if the Empire name is on it , it was made by Empire.  Some of the left over inventory at Empire might have been sold by General Foam when they purchased Empire but it was made by Empire.  General Foam modified the molds and took the Empire information off before they started making the molds.  Basically MSL did the same thing with the Beco molds when they purchased Beco, they took the Beco name off but left the catalog number on the molds.  That is why we see the molds both with and without the Beco name on it.  To my knowledge MSL did not put their name or logo on the blow molds they produced from the Beco molds.  General Foam did put their name on those molds when the purchased them in 1970.

Mel

Ok thanks for the information! Now I know who made all my blow molds!

23 minutes ago, RAB said:

Wow they look like they are in very good condition but I think the price is a bit steep, especially from a thrift store. I think a good price for blowmolds is in the $20 range for candles and $30 for the larger ones.

 

The store is called Wizard of Odds. It is where people have their stands in the store where they sell their things but they aren't there. The cashiers at the store take the money and give it to them. The candles were 40 for the set 20 a piece. The Santa had a crack on the base about 2 centimeters and I already have a Santa so I passed on it.

Edited by The Inflatable King Of Ohio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

You are right Allen if the Empire name is on it , it was made by Empire.  Some of the left over inventory at Empire might have been sold by General Foam when they purchased Empire but it was made by Empire.  General Foam modified the molds and took the Empire information off before they started making the molds.  Basically MSL did the same thing with the Beco molds when they purchased Beco, they took the Beco name off but left the catalog number on the molds.  That is why we see the molds both with and without the Beco name on it.  To my knowledge MSL did not put their name or logo on the blow molds they produced from the Beco molds.  General Foam did put their name on those molds when the purchased them in 1970.

Mel

Thanks, Mel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can pick up that santa brand new ata menards for 30 dollars with the mail in rebate now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you got a good deal on the candles and made a smart move on the santa.  Nice job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, donna123 said:

It sounds like you got a good deal on the candles and made a smart move on the santa.  Nice job!

Yup! Thanks!

5 hours ago, Maroonz28 said:

You can pick up that santa brand new ata menards for 30 dollars with the mail in rebate now

I want to get a Mrs. Claus but I don't really want the one at menards. I already have a Santa already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American Sales but they’re selling out quick. I ended up getting the last one at the Naperville store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2017 at 9:03 AM, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Ok I might paint them. Do you think I should?

No, don't do it!  The painted ones are made from white plastic.  The red ones in your pictures are made of red plastic.  It will never look right if you try to paint those.

TED

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 5:33 PM, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

49.00 for santa and 40 for the set of candles. The candels have a very old cord but I may be able to find a diffrent cord for them. Like those very old brown lamp cords. Can I ust this cord as a replacement?

Just because the cord is old doesn't mean that it needs to be replaced.  Check to see if there is any bare wire showing and if the cord is brittle.  If the cord is still flexible and there are no bare wires showing then I would not replace it.  (Of course it is up to you to decide what is safe for your display.)

On 12/2/2017 at 10:56 PM, Allen L. said:

Thanks, Mel!  I'm trying to slowly become active again. After I lost my old job two years ago, I got a new job that keeps me so busy I don't know if I'm coming or going.  I almost lost my Christmas spirit and didn't want to put up any decorations last year.  It's hard when you have a boss that drives you crazy, because they act like they're high on drugs.  She goes around our backs and looks through our desk phones to see who we've been talking to.  She even showed me on her mobile phone how she has a hidden camera in her Grandson's room, so she can see everything he is doing.  The woman is a first class nut job!   Oh well, I'm blessed to have a job!

I hope you are on the lookout for a better job.  It is not worth shortening your life with that kind of stress.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:38 AM, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

Ok. No problem. the previous owners put glitter on the Noel and the wax drippings and now all the glitter has fallen off. Can I get the remaining glitter off with out scratching the plastic?

There are many things you could try.  It just depends on what kind of glue was used and how stubborn it is.  Since the candles are red plastic and not painted you don't have to worry about messing up the paint.  You just need to make sure you don't melt the plastic.  You could try rubbing alcohol.  It won't hurt anything and will take off weaker adhesives.  There is a paint stripper that is safe for plastic.  It is made by 3M and is called "Safest Stripper".

TED

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Santa is very common and worth $15-$20 at best... Candles, i'd probably pay $30-$40 for the pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TED said:

No, don't do it!  The painted ones are made from white plastic.  The red ones in your pictures are made of red plastic.  It will never look right if you try to paint those.

TED

I won't now. I got the glitter off and they look just fine the way they are! I think it's the glitter that made me want to paint them...

The glitter is now gone! I put goo gone on a paper towel and wiped it over the glitter. Then I dried it with another paper towel. Then I scratched it off with my fingernail. All finished! I'm pretty happy with them! $40.00 well spent!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

I won't now. I got the glitter off and they look just fine the way they are! I think it's the glitter that made me want to paint them...

The glitter is now gone! I put goo gone on a paper towel and wiped it over the glitter. Then I dried it with another paper towel. Then I scratched it off with my fingernail. All finished! I'm pretty happy with them! $40.00 well spent!

 

They look GREAT!  Good job taking the glitter off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 9:39 PM, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

I won't now. I got the glitter off and they look just fine the way they are! I think it's the glitter that made me want to paint them...

The glitter is now gone! I put goo gone on a paper towel and wiped it over the glitter. Then I dried it with another paper towel. Then I scratched it off with my fingernail. All finished! I'm pretty happy with them! $40.00 well spent!

Great decision!  ;)  Using the "Goo Gone" was a good idea.  I  hadn't thought of that.  I agree with you and Allen.  They look great without the glitter!  Now you can see that they are in great condition!

TED

Edited by TED
to get rid of some glitter!
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The glitter looks great, being gone!! The glotter,in my opinion, looked like a last ditch effort,for the "bling",and looked yuck! So,that being said, good call and they look good:) Reminds me, glitter on blowmolds= B-Dazzler of yester year...2 puky inventions. Sure,glitter is fine for arts and crafts, NOT molds

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

The glitter looks great, being gone!! The glotter,in my opinion, looked like a last ditch effort,for the "bling",and looked yuck! So,that being said, good call and they look good:) Reminds me, glitter on blowmolds= B-Dazzler of yester year...2 puky inventions. Sure,glitter is fine for arts and crafts, NOT molds

Here is pretty much the only company who makes blow molds currently, wich is Gemmy. I like the molds are pretty nice but they are too pricey and they also have everyone's favorite thing on blow molds...  Glitter!   

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×