News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

Christmas on the Farm

Viewing Public Say the Darndest Things

Wow this strayed a bit. My biggest funny is hearing from a car the kids yelling one more song. They had been there over an hour

• Like 1

A mother thanked me for all my hard work and then went on and on about me taking the time to dress up as Santa night after night and stand in the window......Virtual Santa..

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Inflatable King Of Ohio said:

My display consists of 78 inflatables, about 3,700 lights and a few blow molds. I spent 5 days putting it up with no help at all. I have a variety of things out like lights, inflatables, blow molds, and those pre lit characters. 

That's a lot of inflatables, but I applaud you for getting it up in 5 days! I'm sure the kids absolutely love your display

7 hours ago, mwalz said:

That's a lot of inflatables, but I applaud you for getting it up in 5 days! I'm sure the kids absolutely love your display

Thanks! They do like it! There was this truck that slowed down and stopped. He got out of the truck and I said "Uh Oh." Then he got out his phone and took some pictures. Then he got back in his truck and drove off. The first day I had 11 up and there were 4 cars that took pictures and 5 other cars slowed down. Last year it looked really tacky at night and this year you can actually make out what the inflatables are at night. Plus the lights gives you something else to look at and they add an "eye catcher" at night. You can see it a little ways down the road too.

• Like 1

Not sure if this fits in with the topic but it seems to. We live in a city, typical urban street with detached and semi-attached houses on 20-60 foot wide lots so you don't have a lot of room for big displays. But I've always put up what I consider a lot of decorations. As time went by and I got older I started thinking why bother, it's a lot of work and does the rest of the family even care? Yes, I would get some compliments from people passing by and small kids seem to be mesmerized by it but not enough to make me feel it was worthwhile. So I started thinking of cutting back and maybe even stopping all together. I should mention here that we have an awning over our stoop and a trellis in our small front yard and they are decorated with at least a few strings of holiday or seasonal lights all year long. One cold night I am out there putting up the Christmas lights thinking to myself this is it, the last year, when an elderly woman with a walker passed by. She said, I always love looking at your lights, they are so nice to look at, they make me feel good. I asked her where she lived on the block. She said she did not live on my block she lived on the next block over from my street. Now this woman could barely walk so I asked how could she see my lights "all the time"? She pointed over to a tall apartment house on the next block and said, I live up there, on the top floor, I can look down and always see them from my window.

Well, I have cut back over the years but I still always put out something and all year long. If for no one else I do it for her because I know she is looking down from somewhere and still enjoying the lights.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bbskip said:

Not sure if this fits in with the topic but it seems to. We live in a city, typical urban street with detached and semi-attached houses on 20-60 foot wide lots so you don't have a lot of room for big displays. But I've always put up what I consider a lot of decorations. As time went by and I got older I started thinking why bother, it's a lot of work and does the rest of the family even care? Yes, I would get some compliments from people passing by and small kids seem to be mesmerized by it but not enough to make me feel it was worthwhile. So I started thinking of cutting back and maybe even stopping all together. I should mention here that we have an awning over our stoop and a trellis in our small front yard and they are decorated with at least a few strings of holiday or seasonal lights all year long. One cold night I am out there putting up the Christmas lights thinking to myself this is it, the last year, when an elderly woman with a walker passed by. She said, I always love looking at your lights, they are so nice to look at, they make me feel good. I asked her where she lived on the block. She said she did not live on my block she lived on the next block over from my street. Now this woman could barely walk so I asked how could she see my lights "all the time"? She pointed over to a tall apartment house on the next block and said, I live up there, on the top floor, I can look down and always see them from my window.

Well, I have cut back over the years but I still always put out something and all year long. If for no one else I do it for her because I know she is looking down from somewhere and still enjoying the lights.

stupid onions!  why am I cutting onions?  

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 5:33 AM, Bill V said:

dress up as Santa night after night and stand in the window......Virtual Santa..

Lol...that is funny!  We did a community open house a couple years back and didn't put up virtual Santa until after.  I got so many questions about why it wasn't up and running in the window yet.  I couldn't dissapoint all those little kids who thought he was real!

About 5 years ago ,in the first week on November I had just finished putting c6 red lights on my Pindo Plams, when a lady stopped by and ask me " what kind of palms are those?" I said "those are Pindo Palms" her remark was " well, I have Pindo Palms in my yard and they don't have the little red berries on them like yours"  I said " I know, mine are special" as I turned and walked into the house.

•  

EWTalley, as I bundle up, layer after layer, to go outside and pass out candy canes to the passersby...I'm really jealous of you right now!

Well the weather is turning bad this weekend (50's), but it will warm up some next week. Slankard sorry you have the bad weather , but some of my best days were spent in Minnesota (64-66) when they had their worst winter in history and in the Great Lakes area (Glenview, Ill. 66-73) 1st year, their worst winter in history. Moved to New Orleans area in 1973, was out mowing my yard on New Years Day. 

Earle 

Sometimes I fell like scaling back, just because it gets somewhat stressful, but every passer by especially the kids really enjoy it. There's list old lady who lives down the street. I saw her come up one time during the day when I was outside working on stuff. She said she really likes it. She also a came up at halloween in her wheelchair. Similar to what bbskip said, If anything I do it for that lady and the kids who enjoy it.

1 hour ago, mwalz said:

Sometimes I fell like scaling back, just because it gets somewhat stressful, but every passer by especially the kids really enjoy it. There's list old lady who lives down the street. I saw her come up one time during the day when I was outside working on stuff. She said she really likes it. She also a came up at halloween in her wheelchair. Similar to what bbskip said, If anything I do it for that lady and the kids who enjoy it.

Wow! Pretty nice display. Must be a lot of work, I think you could scale back a little without too many people noticing (LOL). But according to your web site it looks like you are adding lights every year.

23 hours ago, bbskip said:

Wow! Pretty nice display. Must be a lot of work, I think you could scale back a little without too many people noticing (LOL). But according to your web site it looks like you are adding lights every year.

Thank you! It's a ton of work but I love it. Yea I probably could. Next year I'm going to focus on more lights and smaller scenes because I am out of storage space. Adding some more for the LOR part of the display. I have no more room to add anything more so time to be creative!

Ditto to almost every comment on here as to the funny stuff people say about our show. One evening,as I was outside talking to my neighbors, one of them suddenly looked at me with a surprised look  and asked who was in the window and dressed as Santa--they assumed it was me--every night!