News Ticker
  • Christmas 2017 countdown has begun. Most people reveal their displays the day after Thanksgiving. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

November PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download

The latest PlanetChristmas Magazine is now available to download.  See all the magazines here.

slankard

Questioning the age of this blow mold

I just bought this Poloron Drummer Boy.  The vendor said it was from the 1950's, and an older friend mentioned she and her husband bought one of these same blow molds in the 1950's.  However, on blowmolded it has the date as 1970's.  Any idea what the real date is?

DSCN3508.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slankard said:

I just bought this Poloron Drummer Boy.  The vendor said it was from the 1950's, and an older friend mentioned she and her husband bought one of these same blow molds in the 1950's.  However, on blowmolded it has the date as 1970's.  Any idea what the real date is?

Mel might have more information.  Congrats on the Drummer Boy!

This is what blow-molded.com says.
IMG_6373.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, slankard said:

The blowmolding process wasn't invented until about 1958.  There are very few blowmolds that were made in the 50s.  The vendor is just wrong to make such a claim.  You friends are probably just not remembering the timeline exactly right.  (It's easy to do.)  I'd be willing to bet that the dates given on blow-molded.com are correct.

TED

The earliest Poloron Christmas blow molds that I know of are from 1963 and are shown in that years JC Penney Christmas catalog, there could possibly be some from before that year but I have found no evidence of that through all the years that I have been researching the history of the holiday blow molds.  As for the Poloron drummer boy, the only confirmed year that we have on when he was made is 1974, the one with the green drum is shown in the Sears Christmas catalog from that year.  We have no confirmed information on what year or years the one with the blue drum was made.  The drummer boys are not shown in the Poloron 1969, 1970 or 1972 catalogs.

The drummer boy pictures on blow-molded.com are of two of the Poloron ones in our collection.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer

Thanks.  I'm just mad at myself, because I know better than to believe anything a vendor puts on an item!

1 hour ago, slankard said:

Thanks.  I'm just mad at myself, because I know better than to believe anything a vendor puts on an item!

The vendor put on the price tag of this Santa that it was made in 1968 when it was made from 2002 to 2007.

image.jpg

Edited by The Inflatable King Of Ohio

On 12/4/2017 at 4:40 PM, slankard said:

DSCN3508.JPG

It's disappointing to see how faded the Empire candle in the picture is, I would like to find one in good condition without the fading at a reasonable price someday.  I have newspaper ads from as early as 1968 showing that one.  It sold for $2.96 that year.

Mel

I haven't seen any like that one without the 'Noel' down the side, so I'm keeping it inside.