News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
Ralph Priest

Silent site?

The entire PlanetChristmas site is near death. :-\ I miss the good ole days on here...

(On that note, how's everyone's 2017 display? Who's still working on a project they should have started months earlier? *raises hand*)

This year our local county tourism department has been promoting my display as an area attraction. Visitors are up considerably! Fortunate to have had such good weather so far... looks like that will change at least part of this weekend :( 

For once I was ahead of schedule and up and running on the 1st. Weather has been great but you are right Stephen, I think that is about to change.

15 hours ago, Stephen Blue said:

The entire PlanetChristmas site is near death. :-\ I miss the good ole days on here...

(On that note, how's everyone's 2017 display? Who's still working on a project they should have started months earlier? *raises hand*)

This year our local county tourism department has been promoting my display as an area attraction. Visitors are up considerably! Fortunate to have had such good weather so far... looks like that will change at least part of this weekend :( 

Stephen,  Since you have been a member from 2005 maybe you can tell us what has changed over the years.  Why do you think PC is near death? 

One big change has been Facebook. This site used to be flooded with posts. I have been on a long time. A lot of people I used to see on here everyday I hardly see anymore. I think with all the specialized Facebooks has made this site a little slower. People don't want to be checking all these places. They go to a specialized Facebook site, post a question, and within minutes get a response.

• Like 1

I guess "near death" is just old crotchety me coming out (stop laughing Bill, I know I'm not old lol)... I suppose it hasn't changed much in the past few years, but the place is just a lot smaller than it used to be. Look at most any given part of the forum... a couple of active topics, posts. Perhaps it's just amplified by how segmented these forums have gotten with so many "sub-forums" and such - and the fact that so many people participate in the various Facebook groups now.. 

(But for kicks & giggles, just to confirm I wasn't just going mad, I looked at new thread counts on 3 of my more frequented forums: Trains & Movers, Mega Trees, and Lights Lights Lights! - You can see what I mean by the activity here being a fraction of what it once was. Here's to quality over quantity? :) ):

Movers: 
2017: 6
2016: 6
2015: 8
2014: 8
2013: 1 (wth?)
2012: 19
2011: 15
2010: 33
2009: 66
2008: 83
2007: 52
2006: 73

Mega Trees:
2017: 11
2016: 22
2015: 18
2014: 23
2013: 38
2012: 47
2011: 88
2010: 160
2009: 165
(Records don't go beyond 2008 in this forum)

Lights! Lights! Lights!
2017: 59
2016: 75
2015: 74
2014: 40
2013: 54
2012: 110
2011: 165
2010: 250
2009: 465
2008: Over 1,000 

Edited by Stephen Blue
  • Like 1

I've noticed the last several years the Oklahoma PC site has been silent.  In 2009 there were over 40 posts, and 2010 there were 27.  In 2012 there were still 12, but since then it's tended to be just me.  I know some have quit putting up lights, or just moved.  I also wonder if some of the younger light enthusiasts have started using an LOR site instead?  Does one exist?

On the Florida page there are 2 posts this year. 1 from me and I just saw a new member post. I don't think there is an alternate site,  but I tend to agree with the Facebook excuse. LOR has a site, but it's been around since PC.

I wonder if PC came out with an app if it would help. Quick access, real time notifications, etc

Edited by Brian Roberson
Spelling lol

I guess I am one of the rare folks who doesn't use facebook.  I don't have any interest in it at all.  

2 hours ago, slankard said:

I've noticed the last several years the Oklahoma PC site has been silent.  In 2009 there were over 40 posts, and 2010 there were 27.  In 2012 there were still 12, but since then it's tended to be just me.  I know some have quit putting up lights, or just moved.  I also wonder if some of the younger light enthusiasts have started using an LOR site instead?  Does one exist?

Yea the LOR forum seems to be pretty well participated in. http://forums.lightorama.com/ - It's very segmented into several different LOR categories, but also has a couple of generic decorating sub -forums as well. 

Most of my activity is now over on the Facebook Light-O-Rama Users group. There are some other more specific groups as well (a very active blowmold FB group exists that I'm a member of, and there's a number of other niche groups that are popular as well). 

I'd like to see this place make a "comeback" - there's so much achieved knowledge and history here, plus there's the cool fact that it's simply been around so freaking long! But I think it needs a fair amount of housecleaning as far as having waaaay too many sub-forums. 

Hey, YAY for an active thread! hahaha

Edited by Stephen Blue

I’m also a long time member...I think since 2000 or so. That was like Chuck’s first forums software!  There used to be hundreds of posts daily, even in the summer and in all forum categories.  Was hard to keep up!  With Christmas a few weeks away, the number of posts on here daily is very minImal compared to the past.  I admittedly do not post much anymore. Some of it is just life moves on, some is laziness, and some is just lack of time.  I try to read up each day and it is pretty easy with so few posts.  Like donna123, I also do NOT use Facebook...don’t even have my own account.  I’m one of the original blowmolders on here and don’t even know what happened to most of the others that have all moved on to I guess Facebook. Mel and one or two others are the only ones I still recognize from the blowmold club!  Carrie Sansing, Bill Weiss, Brad Caudill, and several others don’t really show up here anymore.  What are even some of the Facebook clubs?  What is the new place to talk blowmolds?  Stephen is right, PC is much less partipcated in now overall.

4 hours ago, slankard said:

Hi Slankard.  I lived in OKC for almost 10 years.  Moved back to PA in 2015.  I used to post in the OK forums and partipcted in the first mini with Greg and Santa’s helper (that’s when he had his dark ride/Santa ride in Bricktown). This was before the Downs display was around too.  I lived off Sooner Rd close to OU. Was a great place to live outside of tornado season!  It is sad to see participation dwindle.

I know there are a lot of folks who decorate still, I do not have time to search Facebook or other places.  Love having everything and everyone here on PC.  wish more folks would take part.   It takes people to support a site, if they don't the sites will fade away.

I was a member of the Gemmy Airblown collectors club for many years.  It takes people to support a site to exist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmichael said:

I’m also a long time member...I think since 2000 or so. That was like Chuck’s first forums software!  There used to be hundreds of posts daily, even in the summer and in all forum categories.  Was hard to keep up!  With Christmas a few weeks away, the number of posts on here daily is very minImal compared to the past.  I admittedly do not post much anymore. Some of it is just life moves on, some is laziness, and some is just lack of time.  I try to read up each day and it is pretty easy with so few posts.  Like donna123, I also do NOT use Facebook...don’t even have my own account.  I’m one of the original blowmolders on here and don’t even know what happened to most of the others that have all moved on to I guess Facebook. Mel and one or two others are the only ones I still recognize from the blowmold club!  Carrie Sansing, Bill Weiss, Brad Caudill, and several others don’t really show up here anymore.  What are even some of the Facebook clubs?  What is the new place to talk blowmolds?  Stephen is right, PC is much less partipcated in now overall.

Ah you were here back during the green boards too, eh? I was mostly a lurker, made an occasional post back then. 

Carrie actually runs one of the biggest/best blowmold FB groups, "Blow Mold Nation" as well as a sales/trade blow mold group as well. 2000+ members and a pretty steady flow of posts. Brad and Bill are both on there, though I don't see much of Bill (granted, I also don't do a ton on that group, as I'm not really a "blowmolder" - just a guy with a couple dozen molds in his display)

We joined blow mold nation a few months ago, and my wife loves it, even though she was never that interested in PC.  It may just be different strokes for different folks.  I don't know about the other sites, but I've gained more useful information on a wider variety of Christmas topics on PC than any site, magazine, tv show, etc. out there.  Just a tiny fraction include learning how to roll up light strings and wrap trees,  finding out that it is okay to put artificial trees out in the display, and the most recent info. came over the summer when I learned how to drop C-7 or C-9 light strings down the center of my noel candles.  They look stunning this year!  I don't know of anyplace else you can learn so many random Christmas things.

• Like 1

Every time I come on PC  at some point I wonder to myself what happened to all those great folks that resided here for so long. I really do miss the days where a question would be asked and within minutes there would be multiple reply's. The volume of posts had me checking in daily if not twice a day to keep up.  I'm not sure where all those good people went but It really is a shame.  

I'm new here so I really have nothing to offer or add to the site. I am mainly interested in blow molds. I wasn't aware of the FACEBOOK pages mentioned but I checked them out briefly. Nice but like someone else said I'm not into FACEBOOK. Too much for me to keep up with. What I've seen here so far looks good. Considering the time of year I thought there would be more activity in the forums but I like what I've seen so far so I will be checking in from time to time.

There are 2 DIY sites that I frequent that seemed to have pulled a lot of people that would have come here I think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Also those of us who use a radio station Maybe should help promote pc. One of the voice overs I do in my show says to make sure you check out this website if you want into to a big computerized display and wanna know how to do many of the Elements of the show 

On 12/8/2017 at 11:19 AM, donna123 said:

I guess I am one of the rare folks who doesn't use facebook.  I don't have any interest in it at all.  

Donna, you are not alone there, I do not frequent facebook either, I occasionally check one Halloween page and one vintage Christmas page there but not often now.

Mel

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 1:36 PM, bmichael said:

I’m also a long time member...I think since 2000 or so. That was like Chuck’s first forums software!  There used to be thehundreds of posts daily, even in the summer and in all forum categories.  Was hard to keep up!  With Christmas a few weeks away, the number of posts on here daily is very minImal compared to the past.  I admittedly do not post much anymore. Some of it is just life moves on, some is laziness, and some is just lack of time.  I try to read up each day and it is pretty easy with so few posts.  Like donna123, I also do NOT use Facebook...don’t even have my own account.  I’m one of the original blowmolders on here and don’t even know what happened to most of the others that have all moved on to I guess Facebook. Mel and one or two others are the only ones I still recognize from the blowmold club!  Carrie Sansing, Bill Weiss, Brad Caudill, and several others don’t really show up here anymore.  What are even some of the Facebook clubs?  What is the new place to talk blowmolds?  Stephen is right, PC is much less partipcated in now overall.

The ones you mention all moved to Facebook many years ago, from what I have been told there isn't much real blow mold discussion in them mostly the same nonsense that was going on here on PC just before they all left.  The blow mold forum used to be a fun educational place to learn about the different blow molds and had a lot of enjoyable members, today there doesn't seem to be any interest in the blow molds other then where they can get them cheap.  I don't know of anywhere on the internet today where people are actually interested in the history of who made the blow molds and when they were made anymore.  If there is such a place I haven't been able to find it.  There used to be a lot of discussion on them back in the "good old days".  I have been a member here since 2002 or 2003 and I remember that at one point the blow mold forum was the most active forum on PC with more posts then any of the other forums,  Planet Christmas along with Computer Christmas (I think that was the name) were pioneers in the computerized Christmas light displays and were on the cutting edge of that type of displays.  In the early days of PC it was mostly a DIY hobby and there was no Light-O-Rama or other ready made control available.

Mel

Edited by Mel Fischer
  • Like 1

I have to say that I don't think that it is limited to this forum, as some of the auto and boats boards that I frequent all seem down as well.  I attribute it to mostly to many transitioning to phone for internet use as well as all of the social media sites/apps.

I will say that here and the LOR forum were very helpful with going animated, DIY projects, recommendations, and of course the authorized vendors.

Edited by JPat
additional info