News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

2018!

The PlanetChristmas Forums will be revamped February 1, 2018Read more here.

Ralph Priest

Silent site?

I do believe it had something to do with the last meltdown. The site was shut down. People put in the TOC for no reason. So after that everyone migrated to Facebook.
I have to agree and disagree with Mel though. BMN on Facebook is an awesome place full of knowledge and questions. However since Light Fight and the one episode the judge said molds are “rare” there has been a lot of people joining thinking they have a “gold mine”. Wants to know values blah blah blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/7/2017 at 2:49 PM, Ralph Priest said:

Wow! The silence on the Virginia page is deafening.

It's kind of funny that this thread in the VA forum has sparked a bit of discussion among people from all over.

On 12/7/2017 at 3:25 PM, Stephen Blue said:

The entire PlanetChristmas site is near death. :-\ I miss the good ole days on here...

Maybe everyone is just busy with their display!  ;)  In any case I have to disagree with your conclusion.  PC is still the largest forum in the world dedicated to Christmas displays.  I first came to PC sometime in 2002 or 2003 when I heard talk (on Computer Christmas) of the "convention" that was being planned for 2003.  (Originally called PLUS now known as Christmas Expo.)  Back then I used to read every new post in every sub-group every day and was able to keep up.  However, PC got so big that I finally had to give that up as I simply could not read them all even in several hours time.  Sure the activity here on PC is down from that peak time but there's still a lot of members here.  It won't be going away any time soon.

TED

• Like 2

On 12/9/2017 at 8:59 PM, Thebug said:

Also those of us who use a radio station Maybe should help promote pc. One of the voice overs I do in my show says to make sure you check out this website if you want into to a big computerized display and wanna know how to do many of the Elements of the show 

Does PC have a pre-recorded voice over? I would use it. I would play it between every 2-3 songs. Great idea "Thebug"! If they dont, maybe one could be made.

Edited by Brian Roberson

Well, I can't speak for the past but I am incredibly grateful to everyone, here and now, who has helped me.  Everything from blow molds big and small to finding the correct mini light bulb for my 80's flashing circle tree topper ( you know the one with Santa's face in the center that they don't make anymore because sometimes the heat melted the light covers ) and multi function Merry Christmas sign.  Where else would you find that kind of information?  This site is needed and I hope it has many years ahead.  The combined knowledge here is extraordinary and that fact that people willingly share their knowledge is priceless.

Thank you to everyone, you guys are the best!

Donna

• Like 1

I love the irony that the thread about the forums being quiet has become one of the "hottest" threads of late. Glad to see the activity - Now I feel like a bum for being all sour, haha :) 

Now here's to hoping I don't get put in the TOC for not being following the "positive" of the "3 rules" lol

• Haha 1

The good ol' TOC I spent some time there many years ago and am still here, it wasn't anything to get upset about.  I got much worse then that when I was a kid.

Mel

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 3:11 PM, Mel Fischer said:

The ones you mention all moved to Facebook many years ago, from what I have been told there isn't much real blow mold discussion in them mostly the same nonsense that was going on here on PC just before they all left.  The blow mold forum used to be a fun educational place to learn about the different blow molds and had a lot of enjoyable members, today there doesn't seem to be any interest in the blow molds other then where they can get them cheap.  I don't know of anywhere on the internet today where people are actually interested in the history of who made the blow molds and when they were made anymore.  If there is such a place I haven't been able to find it.  There used to be a lot of discussion on them back in the "good old days".  I have been a member here since 2002 or 2003 and I remember that at one point the blow mold forum was the most active forum on PC with more posts then any of the other forums,  Planet Christmas along with Computer Christmas (I think that was the name) were pioneers in the computerized Christmas light displays and were on the cutting edge of that type of displays.  In the early days of PC it was mostly a DIY hobby and there was no Light-O-Rama or other ready made control available.

Mel

I totally agree. I was really excited to find out about Blow Mold Nation. 

But it's Facebook. 

Here's my thoughts on what I like here and there. 

Facebook BMN group: I love the easier way to socialize, talk, post, etc. 

I don't like the selfish, rude and disrespectful people who are more worried about profit of selling than Christmas and holidays itself. I got burned several times telling buyers what GF had in stock and next thing you know, they go and buy $1000s of blow molds. Or you have the buyer being rude about GF and how they won't respond to them so they can plan their 5 hour trip to make a profit. Some of these people forget that GF is actually closing. People are losing their jobs. And lastly, GF didn't have to open their warehouse for customers. They could of forced every customer to buy from a store just like every thing else. Instead, people are more interested in making a buck instead of the love of Christmas and collecting.

I also wish their was more history, positive conversations, etc on facebook. Which I go mostly for here. 

Planet Christmas: I think that the idea of a forum is great but not many people go to them anymore. That's partly because of social networks. I can get a BM answer faster on facebook than here. I also think because of social media, people don't participate in as much on this site because people have become lazy. I love reading the magazine. I love finding different stores on this site. The other problem it takes time and people to update this website versus Facebook is basically auto. 

But I truly appreciate this site. I would be sad if it died. 

I totally agree. I was really excited to find out about Blow Mold Nation. 

But it's Facebook. 
Here's my thoughts on what I like here and there. 

Facebook BMN group: I love the easier way to socialize, talk, post, etc. 
I don't like the selfish, rude and disrespectful people who are more worried about profit of selling than Christmas and holidays itself. I got burned several times telling buyers what GF had in stock and next thing you know, they go and buy $1000s of blow molds. Or you have the buyer being rude about GF and how they won't respond to them so they can plan their 5 hour trip to make a profit. Some of these people forget that GF is actually closing. People are losing their jobs. And lastly, GF didn't have to open their warehouse for customers. They could of forced every customer to buy from a store just like every thing else. Instead, people are more interested in making a buck instead of the love of Christmas and collecting.
I also wish their was more history, positive conversations, etc on facebook. Which I go mostly for here. 
Planet Christmas: I think that the idea of a forum is great but not many people go to them anymore. That's partly because of social networks. I can get a BM answer faster on facebook than here. I also think because of social media, people don't participate in as much on this site because people have become lazy. I love reading the magazine. I love finding different stores on this site. The other problem it takes time and people to update this website versus Facebook is basically auto. 

But I truly appreciate this site. I would be sad if it died. 

I don’t know who you are on Facebook in BMN, but I can agree with SOME of those people who traveled to GFP. I went and made the 12 hour trip from Florida. Bought a bunch of molds for me and my collection. I’m all for being a blow mold business as I am one. But what those people were doing going here. Snatching them and then flipping them at retail was messed up.

As for those at GF losing their jobs, it sucks. I’ve got to talk to a few who had been there for ages. Parents retired from there.

One big change has been Facebook. This site used to be flooded with posts. I have been on a long time. A lot of people I used to see on here everyday I hardly see anymore. I think with all the specialized Facebooks has made this site a little slower. People don't want to be checking all these places. They go to a specialized Facebook site, post a question, and within minutes get a response.

I actually got on here to get away from Facebook. The newsfeed on that site keeps me angry and I don't like it.

I think all we can do is to keep doing what most of us are already doing, and that is using every opportunity to guide people to PC.  I can't count how many times I bring up PC when people ask me about my lights, whether it's at the antique shop buying a blow mold, or out front talking to passersby at night in front of my house.  Just keep spreading the gospel...of Planet Christmas (the other would be fine as well!).

I think the missed pun opportunity of O Silent Site for the thread name should the be topic of discussion here haha :P 

On 12/16/2017 at 5:07 AM, Gecko2012 said:

I think the missed pun opportunity of O Silent Site for the thread name should the be topic of discussion here haha :P 

Exactly.

Thanx Salamber! I was beginning to think no one picked-up on the pun.

Oops! And thanx to Gecko2012

I'll add this: the knowledge regarding Christmas lighting that I've gained on PC is huge. I only wish I knew of PC before I caught the fever;I could have saved myself a lot of time and Tylenol!