News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
Mel Fischer

I wonder

I wonder who ended up with the Bel Air Plastics, Borse Plastics, Hamilton-Skotch and Lidco molds if anyone?  Empire had a few of the Lidco molds but I have seen no indications that they had all of theirs.  For that matter,  what happened to the Irwin and NOMA molds, does anyone know?

Mel

I don't have a clue about any of those.  I'm kind of wondering what's going to happen to all the molds that Gen Foam has.  I think they have a lot of the Santa's Best molds, old Empire molds, and who knows what else.  I sure hope they don't all get scrapped.

TED

Brian, am I remembering correctly in thinking that you have one or two of the Irwin blow molds that you have posted pictures of here on PC in the past?

Mel

4 hours ago, TED said:

I don't have a clue about any of those.  I'm kind of wondering what's going to happen to all the molds that Gen Foam has.  I think they have a lot of the Santa's Best molds, old Empire molds, and who knows what else.  I sure hope they don't all get scrapped.

TED

Yes, Gen Foam does have a lot of the Santa's Best molds along with Beco, Poloron, Empire,and at least a few Dapol and Lidco molds and possibly even a few of the Bayshore molds if not all of those.  I guess we have to wait until the auction after the first of the year to see if anyone buys the molds that Gen Foam has.

Mel

On December 13, 2017 at 2:46 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Brian, am I remembering correctly in thinking that you have one or two of the Irwin blow molds that you have posted pictures of here on PC in the past?

Mel

I must have missed this post.  I do have an Irwin blowmold bell with original box that I posted pics of several years ago.  Actually, I have about 8 Irwin bells of various sizes, but only one with the box.

I actually think those ones are from someone else!  None of that furniture is mine.  I do have the same one and the same box though.

Apparently I was mistaken about where I got those pictures but I do remember seeing your pictures when  you posted them several years ago.

Mel

[mention=294]TED[/mention] one of the guys at GF told me that all the molds have been sold off.  To who?  He didn't say.

Only some have been sold off. Not all.
I know that’s what the guy said, but last I spoke with the VP he said only a few rest would be at auction sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, RichardG said:

Only some have been sold off. Not all.
I know that’s what the guy said, but last I spoke with the VP he said only a few rest would be at auction sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told last week by a GF employee that they are planning on auctioning them off sometime in March, along with the blow molding machinery.  She told me that the only molds they have sold are the pumpkin pails.  There could have been others sold but she didn't say that any other molds have been sold yet.  Whatever does not get sold at auction will ultimately be scrapped.  They have also sold their entire tree manufacturing division to some Chinese company.  The Ultima tree was not included in that though so all of those Ultima trees will no longer be manufactured, which also means that the 10-year warranty is useless.