News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

2018!

The PlanetChristmas Forums will be revamped February 1, 2018Read more here.

Sign in to follow this  
Scot Meyers

Christmas is 30 to 50 % off already and its not even Christmas yet.

I remember looking forward to getting up on the day after Christmas and going to 50 % off sales   well it appears a paradigm shift has happened.  now we start selling Christmas décor after Haloween  and we go 50 % off just 2 weeks before Christmas!!   or at least that's what LOWES DID!!   and I got a sweet deal on mickey ears path lights for 15.00 a box  and an even sweater deal on Mickey ears countown clock projector.   Ben Aromin  goto lowes NOW!!!!

Is it just me or is it just the new trends?

It is a trend, but it varies by store. Our lowes is at 50% on SELECT items. Mostly junk, but a few cool items. Some of the light are at 30%, most are still full price.

Kmart is at 40% and just about out of everything.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, vette-kid said:

It is a trend, but it varies by store. Our lowes is at 50% on SELECT items. Mostly junk, but a few cool items. Some of the light are at 30%, most are still full price.

Kmart is at 40% and just about out of everything.

WOW,  Vette,  I'm jealous that you still have a K-mart.  Ours was one of them that closed in the last round along with the one about 5 miles away in Garden City that was the very first K-mart to open.   They always had a good selection and reasonable prices - I miss them !

Last year kmart had a TON of lights left the first week of January. I got about 12 reels at 85%off. They must have learned a lesson because they are nearly out already...or they are dumb enough to have another shipment coming....I'll have to go back and check next week.

I think it's pretty shady what Depot/Lowes did this year.

I posted the 50% sale at lowes here on PC when it kicked in on weds. I went that morning and they had put away a good majority of the items Christmas trees/blow molds/inflatables and higher ticket items. They then removed them from the inventory listings online so you couldn't hunt down what you wanted. 

Home Depot

I bought the c7 giant pathway markers originally $21.95 that night anticipating the 50 off sale to follow suit from lowes. Next morning sure enough depot had 50% off. I looked online and it showed the sale price and zero stock anywhere LOL. Luckily I printed out what stores had them first. I asked the manager about other large items I knew were in stock and he said, "they sold everything" --- despite the forklifts zooming by with all the Pre-lit trees/yard decor somewhere LOL. I was there when the doors opened for the price adjustment to $9.99!  

I understand the whole discount/credit things on these items but do it after Christmas, some people still have traditions like putting up a tree on Christmas Eve. Maybe they decide they want a new one that morning, what a disappointment they would have if they weren't deal hunters like all of us.

None the less, I scored the huge JOY at 50% off at lowes, and could have taken the floor model for $179 

Joy3.jpg