News Ticker
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.

2018!

The PlanetChristmas Forums will be revamped February 1, 2018Read more here.

toytrains25

LED Tree Lights Too Bright

I have changed my indoor tree lights from the old bulbs to C6 LEDs.  Unfortunately, these new LEDs are way too bright and I'd like to know if there is an easy way to dim the LED lights?  My idea is to have an enclosed electrical box with a normal plug, a dimmer switch of some kind and a cord with a plug that will then plug into the wall outlet.   I've read other posts that seem to indicate a special type of dimmer switch is required. 

I've attached a crude drawing showing what I've been thinking about. 

If someone can tell me what components I would need, and how to connect them, I can probably do the rest. 

Thanks!

idea.jpg

I'm 99% sure the lights aren't dimmable.  I don't have the boxes anymore. 

What would happen if I tried to dim them using some sort of connections like I drew?

Used to have something like you're describing on our tree. Basically took an extension cord, cut it in half, and wired the two raw ends into a dimmer switch in a cheap box.

How will this work with your LED's? No idea, although I'll say a great number of my supposedly non-dimmable LED's do in fact dim, just not very smoothly. Your results may vary :) image.png.74b67a8721ecf7ea6e903c745e6d6758.png

2 hours ago, diamondkilo said:

they make these for the hassle free approach / and its UL listed.

inline dimmer

Probably less of a fire hazard than my approach. Granted, when the one I pictured was built, I'm pretty sure Amazon was just selling books still. LOL

when i bought some lights from Home Depot this year, I took a dimmer from the electrical department and tried it on the various LED lights.  None of them liked the dimmer.  Most of them just flickered.  

Agnew with big j. I did it using a digital dimmer switch. I did it just like Stephen described. Cut an extension cord in half, wire that to the switch and put the switch in a wet location rated box with an "in use" cover. Mint that to a fiberglass pole or your choice of stake.

I tested various light strings with it and most did ok. Some would dim now than others, but I think they all did at least some.

Bottom line, it can be done and isn't difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sometimes I hate tapatalk. That first line is supposed to say " I agree" with big j.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

To cut the flicker use a snubber.  I have found that most Sylvania and all GE Christmas lights will dim

On 12/21/2017 at 8:17 PM, toytrains25 said:

I have changed my indoor tree lights from the old bulbs to C6 LEDs.  Unfortunately, these new LEDs are way too bright and I'd like to know if there is an easy way to dim the LED lights?  My idea is to have an enclosed electrical box with a normal plug, a dimmer switch of some kind and a cord with a plug that will then plug into the wall outlet.   I've read other posts that seem to indicate a special type of dimmer switch is required. 

I've attached a crude drawing showing what I've been thinking about. 

If someone can tell me what components I would need, and how to connect them, I can probably do the rest. 

Thanks!

idea.jpg

What you drew in the sketch should work just fine.  Here’s the thing with superbrite LEDs, there brightness will decrease the more you use them.  I have LEDs that use to be supper bright using them over time they are now not bight enough. 

The dimmer circuit you described will work with even non-dimmable LEDs.

You might want to take a look on www.banggood.com for LED dimmers. 

Maybe some of you others may have more info but this may help. My LOR controller dims these supposedly non dimmable leds just fine. Not sure if it's the same kind of controller used fro wall dimmers.

7 hours ago, mwalz said:

Maybe some of you others may have more info but this may help. My LOR controller dims these supposedly non dimmable leds just fine. Not sure if it's the same kind of controller used fro wall dimmers.

All depends on the design of the power supply.  All LEDs are dimable, but as the voltage decreases the different collored LEDs will have different levels of brightness.  Dimable LEDs have circuity to keep light levels at the same brightness.  

• Like 1

Found the perfect solution! 

A friend of mine had a variac (variable ac transformer).  Plugged my lights into it and turned the dial down until I found a voltage that gave me the brightness I wanted.  Turned out 89 volts ac is just perfect for our tree. 

This wouldn't work with outside lights, since the variac I have isn't weatherproof, but it is great for my indoor tree lights. 

Just thought I'd pass along this information.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me!

Happy New Year!

Could be made for outside.  R=E/i.  For 120v circuit you will need to drop 30 volts with a resistor to get to the 90v.   If the current draw is say .25a you would need a 120 ohm resister.  P=I*E. .25 * 30 ...  Let’s call it 1 watt.   A 120 - 150 ohm 1 watt resister is all you would need.  Make it water “tight’ by placing in a PVC pipe with end caps.