Jump to content
Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
MrsClaus

Empire Municipal Red Blow Mold Bell

Recommended Posts

I am interested in purchasing some of these Empire Municipal Red Bell Blow Molds.  Anyone have any to sell?  I live in the Chicago area or know. Source that might sell them.  Thank you. 

2B25936D-87E8-482D-AB73-BAF92CA8BFC4.png

FD809CDA-E747-48AF-8E48-4E0B2291ADFD.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs Claus,

I almost passed over this post.  If it wasn't for the word "Municipal"  I probably would have gone right past.   I have never heard of those MISSION BELLS referred to as  being from Empire.  To my knowledge they were always made by General Plastics.    As you can see from this catalog page, from 1963, they were originally in Day Glo Red and Translucent Yellow Gold.  They came in two sizes, 17" and 27" in height.   Over time the gold was dropped in favor of white and eventually the white was dropped from the line as well.  They also offered a smaller 9" "Jingle Bell" that was mostly used as a light cover for street skyline displays.

Mel may know if they were ever sold under the Empire name or not.    As far a availability,  I just happen to have 6 of the 17" ones for sale.  PM me if you are interested.

GP_MissionBell1963.jpg

Edited by WLND-DAVID
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for this great information!  Loved seeing the original ad! I sent you a message - I am interested in the bells - please message me if you did not receive my message through planetchristmas.  Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WLND-DAVID said:

Mrs Claus,

I almost passed over this post.  If it wasn't for the word "Municipal"  I probably would have gone right past.   I have never heard of those MISSION BELLS referred to as  being from Empire.  To my knowledge they were always made by General Plastics.    As you can see from this catalog page, from 1963, they were originally in Day Glo Red and Translucent Yellow Gold.  They came in two sizes, 17" and 27" in height.   Over time the gold was dropped in favor of white and eventually the white was dropped from the line as well.  They also offered a smaller 9" "Jingle Bell" that was mostly used as a light cover for street skyline displays.

Mel may know if they were ever sold under the Empire name or not.    As far a availability,  I just happen to have 6 of the 17" ones for sale.  PM me if you are interested.

 

I have never seen these bells referred to as being made by Empire, to my knowledge Empire did not make any municipal blow molds they were more into toys and the home decorating blow molds.

Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mel Fischer said:

I have never seen these bells referred to as being made by Empire, to my knowledge Empire did not make any municipal blow molds they were more into toys and the home decorating blow molds.

Mel

Thanks for the verification Mel  :)     I wonder where the Empire connection came from ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WLND-DAVID said:

Thanks for the verification Mel  :)     I wonder where the Empire connection came from ??

A good chance they didn't know who made them and were just guessing, I see that  a lot of times on eBay and when I ask the seller how they know who made the blow mold they usually say someone told them or don't reply at all.  I remember recently asking one seller how they knew who made their item and they told me to mind my own business, another one said they were going to report me to eBay for harassment and all I had done was ask how they knew who made their blow mold.

Mel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...