Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Njnicka

Looking for Animated Christmas figures

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this site, but i was hoping someone on here could help.  I'm building my Christmas Animated and Light display for my home and am having a hard time finding animated figures.  If anyone here knows where i could find them or if anyone on here is selling them please let me know.  I'm looking for any kind, except those "cheap" looking ones.  I already have a bunch of Hamberger and RKI.  I'm open to anything.
Thanks in advance

Nick

Nick, welcome to PC, and the insanity of doing a display. Can you be a bit more specific when you say animated figures. Are you asking about multi-channel wireframes, coroplast characters, animatronic figures? Give us a bit more info....

Hello Zman and thank you for the warm welcome into this insanity lol... I’m completely obsessing over doing this display.  I wanna do it all at once but I’m going to have to build it up each year...  anyway ,  I’m looking for anamatronic animated peices like David Hamberger, Rki etc... new or old...   I’m also looking for outdoor fiberglass or resin Santa’s , snowmen, elf’s, gingerbread men, etc...

thank you in advance

nick

Nick,

I had not come across the Hamberger, nor the RKI info before. Those are very cool, and I think it is great that there are folks like you who still want to incorporate those types of elements into a display. There are still some out there, Greg Young, Charles Enos are the 2 I know personally. 
I am part of the Christmas Expo effort for the training syllabus, we attempt to include these types of classes about historic elements, animatronics etc.... Its important to keep those methods and ideas alive. 

Gemmy, and some other vendors in the past have made animatronic characters for the general public. Not sure if the above items were for general sale at any time, but no one today, that I am aware of, sells anything like this. It is all DIY for those that want to take on that endeavor and get familiar with the mechanisms for animatronics. There have been PC members over the years who have posted about this. So I am not much help here, except to say that one such famous member, and good friend. Mike Ziemkowski, has his Seasons Greeters company and has Elf presents and Snow people characters he makes commercially and sells through Holiday Technologies. I had his original Present Gang in my display as well as the first of his animated Snowmen..

As far as the resin items. You probably are aware that Costco has seasonal and different items every year in this category. Problem is, you have to wait till October to see what they have. 
Frontgate is another company that carries a lot of these. I have buddies of mine who ordered from therm, plus, I have my eye on this vignette, but will have to wait to pull the trigger:

https://www.frontgate.com/fiber-optic-led-sleigh/holiday-decor/outdoor-displays/927181?listIndex=9

Winterland is another company that I have used for stuff like this. - http://www.winterlandinc.com/commercial-decorating/life-statues-and-figurines

Toscano - https://www.designtoscano.com/category/holiday+and+gifts/christmas.do

Hayneedle - more seasonal

So there is a fair amount of options for the resin based items... Hope that helps

Charlie I’m open to anything right now, weather it be carolers, snowmen, elves/gnomes Santa’s , Mrs. Claus..  anything really that i can start making scenes...  thank you

Zman thank you very much for all the useful information!!! Greatly appreciated I agree that history needs to be preserved, that’s why i love the old animatronics and also all the new stuff!  I’m incoperating both into my display.  

Thank you again

nick