Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'vampire plugs'.
Found 4 results
I have been using SP1 wire and end plugs now for a couple of years, I also started using the inline female sockets last year. I am having moisture problems with the inline. The inline female top slide assembly only closes one side of the gap where the wire goes through, the other side is still open about 1/16", does anyone have a solution for this? I have tried electrical tape and am thinking about silicone but wondered if there is something better? I have about 200 inline sockets, about 300 end plugs and over 2000' of SP1 wire in my display but every time it rains, I lose a part of my display due to GFCI. Thanks for your help!!
I tried to purchase SPT-1 cable and vampire plugs during Light O Rama's spring sale. Unfortunately, they sold out of the wire and male plugs within a few minutes, before I could complete my order. Where is the least expensive places to purchase online or supply house? Any leads will be appreciated.
LightsAtLowesIsland posted a topic in Buy/Sell/Trade Light Shows - Light O Rama6 Days left to the 2016 Pre-Sale. ZipPlugs.com
We all have them. DIY extension cords using spt1 or 2 and vampire plugs. People below California might not have this problem but from New England and up past my house in New Brunswick Canada, we have Mother Nature that loves to send rain then freezing temperatures to keep our vampire plugs from working. Many a times I have gone outside with a hair dryer (last year bought a heat gun) to try and warm up the plugs to thaw them out. Well I think this is a thing of the past...well hopefully. Tonight, I was making a few extensions with vampire plugs that seem to be of ish quality. You know the plug that looks cheaply made on a Friday afternoon or early Monday morning, well I have a crap load of those. Of course when they get full of water and freeze, I have no power. So while I was testing them, even though it was freezing in my basement, a few plugs were not always connecting right. So I decided to trim a piece of cardboard and place it under the slider. Well it worked but not without problem. The cardboard would not stay where I wanted it as it kept slipping. Patience was running low. After a few swearwords in French and English, I came up with the best solution. Why I didn't think of it before is beyond me!!! There I was looking at the solution right under my nose. A zip tie. I cut about an inch and a 1/4 long and placed the side that has the ridges down on top of the spt1 wire. When you slide the keeper back on top, it slides on the smooth top of the zip tie and the ridged part is "anchored" onto the wire. Tried the same wire that has intermittent contact and it was gone! It worked!!! So to anyone with that freezing problem, this might just do the trick, Now I know what I will do with my used zip ties from now on. Let me know if it works for you.