Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
TxLight

Stop times ....

Am I just lucky? I run until 10:30pm Sun-Thu and 11:30 Fri/Sat and I've yet to get a complaint. I've been out several times and have talked to neighbors, and no one has any problems. (That they will admit to, anyway.)

Am I the exception by running these late hours?

I stop mine at 10:00 each night. However most of my neighbors leave their static displays on all night long. So I don't see it being too much of a problem if I made mine longer. However the wife doesn't want it any longer to take the chance of making a neighbor mad.

People over here are leaving their static displays on all night so I don't think shutting them down at 10:30 hurts. Course people sometimes are still here at 10:30.

Your just lucky! LOL!!!

My neighbors are leaving theirs on as well. I initially stopped at 9:30 to be safe and recently moved it back to 10:00. I probably won't run tonight as there is a blizzard in the Denver metro today and tomorrowand nobody should be out looking.

Brian

VonnerNIX wrote:

I stop mine at 10:00 each night. However most of my neighbors leave their static displays on all night long. So I don't see it being too much of a problem if I made mine longer. However the wife doesn't want it any longer to take the chance of making a neighbor mad.

The problem is, most static displays don't attract large crowds of cars, and the ones that do tend to have people drive by and move on (there are certainly exceptions, but they're probably not "your neighbors"). Animated displays lend themselves tolots of cars (since they're still pretty unique) and also people sitting there watching. They also lend themselves to people cranking up their car stereos way too loud.

Traffic = noise = unhappy neighbors, if it's happening too late.

-Tim

I shut down at 9 here because no one is really out after that in this area.

This weekened the big weekened i will be going to 10PM and christmas eve around 1 AM. Had a small news paper come outand I want to make sure eveyone gets to see it because I take mine down on the 26TH.

I have my show scheduled to run till 9:40 weekdays, 10:30 weekends. Just yesterday, after talking about how I don't seem to have that many visitors, I watched someone pull up just after the show ended for the evening. They were out there for a few minutes, then eventually left. I didn't think I would be able to restart the show fast enough, and wasn't available to walk outside to tell them!!! I'm thinking of running it till 10:30 from Friday thru New Years, being that the kids are out of school andfamilies willprobably be up and out later anyway.

No complaints from any neighbors. I was talking with one after Halloween, and she said that one night she woke up and was momentarily scared when she saw lights flashing at 2am...thought it was a fire truck or something at first. I apologized for the squirrels that ate my cat5e line to cause the flashing malfunction!!!

Static display here.

Shuts off around 11PM (timer)

Next year, I plan to have 16 channels.

During the week, I plan to keep it 70% static and 30% to music. Part of the 70% will be subtle fades, shimmers, and the like.

Weekends, I plan to have the show running.

I have my show going until 11pm every night in December. Christmas Eve it will be until 12, and Santa plus some elves will be here passing out candy canes. Can't wait! One of my neighbors told me today that I am providing the entertainment for his parties. It's been so nice here, for a change, that they sit on their porch and watch the show and the traffic. Plus, we haven't had the cops out yet, that's a big plus. :D

I had varied mine a bit:

Officially: 6:00pm to 10:00pm

Reality: Thanksgiving to Christmas: 5:45 to 10:30

Christmas Eve / Christmas / Day After 6:00 (getting dark later here again) till 11:30

Now : 6:00pm to 10:00pm

New Years Eve: 6:00pm to 12:30am

New Years Day: off for the season

while i can't stand where we live; mile or 2 outside of a rural backwoods redneck town, it does lend itself perfect for lights. very few street lights. old lady across the street who always tells me how she loves the lights because her husband would go all out for christmas like we do. one of her sons comes and puts up some decorations for her every year. an older couple next to her that decorate pretty darn well for being in their late 50's. next closest neighbors are some cows about 100 yards down the road in a pasture. :laughing:

we have a halloween display as well which runs from 6pm until midnight. after the time change the christmas lights run 5pm until midnight 7 days a week. we're at an intersection and have never had a traffic problem. usually get a couple dozen cars a night that you can tell came just to see the lights. rolling by less than 5 mph or even stopping and moving forward a little. we have 2 acres and a corner lot so stuff on all sides. even had cops come rolling by real slow and waving. just lucky i guess.

Here is my weekly schedule with LOR and music show.

Sun - Mon

5:30 - 9:30 Show with outdor speakers and FM Transmitter

9:30-10:30 Show with No Speakers, but FM Transmitter

10:30 - Midnight - Aminiation patterns only. No Music show

Fri- Sat

5:30 - 10:30 Show with outdor speakers and FM Transmitter

10:30 - Midnight - Aminiation patterns only. No Music show

To date I have not received any complaints from the neighbors.

This year my show ran from 5:30-10:30 every night, including weekends. I had no problems with my neighbors, I even had a few ask why I turned them off so early. I guess I'm fortunate. We'll have to see what happens next year when I transition from animation to music synchronization...

I don't have an animated display, but 10,000w is pretty bright

Mine go on by multiple timers & sensors - so as soon as its dark the sensors go on & run for 4 hours at 1st, then 6 hours

Timers starts at 6pm - 10pm

2 weeks before Christmas everything is boosted 4pm-11pm

Christmas "weekend" this year I went until midnight

Christmas Eve I let them run all night

Don, I run the same hours (though all the way to midnight Friday and Saturday), and have yet to hear a complaint from anyone. My nextdoor neighbors love it. We only had speakers this year, and they have a one year old, and mom asked them if they heard the music, and they said yeah, just barely, but they enjoyed it. Everyone that Iv'e talked to from the neighborhood loves it. The County Coucilman that lives in the loop across the street won't stop bragging. And we had a County Sherriff pull in the driveway the other day while I was at work to tell my parents how great it was, and how much he appreciated it.

I'm pretty lucky in that I just happened to move into the right place, throw up what I do a few years back, and people liked it. Maybe we should have another SC Mini PLUS, invite all my neighbors, and all the unlucky ones on here can talk to them and ask advice?!?!:laughing: