Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Sirkraker

After Christmas sales!

Anyone that is finding green mini's. Please PM me and let's chat. I can't find a single box near me.:(

I was in serious need of Green and Blue Minnis ... so what did we do last night? Went back to Wal-Mart and grabbed 125 boxes of 100 Count multi color minnis. Now after we switch 4/5th of the lights around on each string, we will have plenty of Green and Blues and have some dark pink, orange and purple to play with as well.

There is more than one way of getting the colors you need ... even if all that is on the shelfs are multi colors :devil:

MrsD wrote:

I was in serious need of Green and Blue Minnis ... so what did we do last night? Went back to Wal-Mart and grabbed 125 boxes of 100 Count multi color minnis. Now after we switch 4/5th of the lights around on each string, we will have plenty of Green and Blues and have some dark pink, orange and purple to play with as well.

There is more than one way of getting the colors you need ... even if all that is on the shelfs are multi colors :devil:

That is freakin' insane.

I thought about the same thing with C9/C7s, but there is no way I'd attempt this on minis -- let alone 125 boxes of minis. I'd rather pay full price.

You must have the patience of a saint. :happytree:

Guest Nasgul

Very little in the way of lights - I was hoping for as many LED lights as I could snag (to help with the power issues - I've only got about45 amps in a town house :-( help please) and I was only able to get about 1k LED lights (C6 and C7 style). Other than that,

1 standing buck

1 feeding doe

1 3-pack holo presents

10 spiral trees (growing respect for anything with high light density that you can see through - the old target mini-trees are going elsewhere)

1 skiing polar bear

12 candy canes

6 LED star lights (the cool Michaels kind)

Maybe if we combined forces we could convince the industry not to overcharge so much for the LED lights? They'd come in really handy...

Best store for gear: Michaels! I have a theory that over-the-top light displays have a slight male bias, and that stores with mostly traditionally feminine products are the last to get hit. This may reflect a social stereotyping problem or just my own sick point of view, but it played out - Michaels was chock-full of goodies and those LED stars are truly unique.

Worst store for gear: Home Depot. The local ones shipped off ALL their leftover gear, rather than discount it after season. By the 26th the plants had moved back in.

EDIT: THANKS Jmitchell for cluing me in to sears - I got 2000 LED lights50% off there and am planning to go back for 75% off to see if any are still there. :-)

Russ wrote:

MrsD wrote:

That is freakin' insane.

.... <snip> ....

You must have the patience of a saint. :happytree:

Yeah, I was wondering how long it would take someone here to say that first part. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

That Patience of a saint part ... well ... lets just say when I want something "I WANT IT NOW!" By the time store start stocking the lights I want to be DONE with my planning and well into putting lights onto all of the new items we will be making.:]

Guest warcraft

i got away with a around total 120,000

120,000 gold green purple red clear blue on the 26th

plus the 13,000 in use outside right now

not sure how many ill end up using next year i shall see

I stopped over at Kindy's in Philadelphia to see what discounts they were offering. To my surprise, NOTHING was discounted, and there was even evidence of some price increases! 100 count "Designer" light sets, that were $3.79 as of early December, were suddenly $4.79. 50 count mini's, previously $1.99, were $2.99. Not sure what the heck that was all about. And all their tree ornaments, blowmolds, trees, wire figs, etc, etc, etc, were the same price as they were prior to Christmas. Tomorrow or Friday is their last day that they'll be open for the season, but it's kinda like, why bother???

Good score warcraft!!! I dont know that i have seen that many lights since this fall. Did you have to go all over to get those?? You must be planning a heck of an increase in your display. It appears that you may be joining the club that has power upgrades this summer.

Christian Duncan

Indianapolis, IN

Russ wrote:

MrsD wrote:

That is freakin' insane.

I thought about the same thing with C9/C7s, but there is no way I'd attempt this on minis -- let alone 125 boxes of minis. I'd rather pay full price.

We figured if we could do 5 strings a night while watching TV, that we'd be done in just 25 viewing nights, so getting all 125 strings re-worked in time for the 2007 light season "shouldn't be a problem". Famous last words.... ;)

On the bright side, we probably won't be able to put up that manynewlights next year anyway, so we don't really need to get all 125 boxes done.

WOW Frank, you Scored. I had to look hard but I got:

1900 green

3700 white

1800 Purple

2000 blue

The entire General Foam Navity set, with Manger from Menards.

2 Union Penguins

4 Union canes

2 Union lamps

8 wal-mart candy canes (mini lighted plastic) They had hunderds, so waiting

for 75% off....

8 foot airblown snowman (walmart)

Pics in blowmold forum on the above

I now should have ~ 17,400 lights next year or ~ .70 Grizwolds !

Guest warcraft

christian_duncan wrote:

Good score warcraft!!! I dont know that i have seen that many lights since this fall. Did you have to go all over to get those?? You must be planning a heck of an increase in your display. It appears that you may be joining the club that has power upgrades this summer.

Christian Duncan

Indianapolis, IN

yeah i was pretty happy when i got to stores i got 240 clears from lowes

300 greens from walmart then the rest from hd and target

walmart still had 1,000s of clears left but i think i had enough clears

heres my home depot haul

While I was moping today about NOT hitting the after-christmas day sales, my wife reminded me that I bought stuff on the 23rd which should still count. See pic.

Seven 12" LED snow flakes ($2.85 ea)

a box of Nine 9" snowflakes on a chaser (not sure how I'll use these yet) $6/box

A box of Five 7" snowflakes on a chaser (not sure how I'll use these yet either) $6/box

4 Mr Christmas Lights & Sounds of Christmas 6ch controller boxes $29.99/ea + the Display you see in the picture FREE (He threw that in since I bought them all) I gave one to my Brothers family as a Christmas Gift

8 boxes of 18' Clear Crystal rope light $3.75/box

Santa landing zone $20

EZ Projector (which really doesn't work well outside :devil:) $10

image457aq3.th.jpg

What I wanted was solid color mini-lights, 4 to 6 ft white christmas tree's, mega tree's, presents, train... most of which wouldn't fit in my tiny yard. :shock::laughing:

image457hl4.jpg

thyno z wrote:

i only went to one place , this afternoon. home depot. they had them for 97 cents a box. i asked for the manager. when he came i told him i would buy all the blue, red, green, gold and purple lights he would make me a better deal. counting his inventory and a little back and forth later, i picked up 9,000 of each color for 44 cents a box (that included 10% sales tax). total spent, a little less than $200. talk to the managers if your buying a lot. ive always been able to get a better discount at lowes and hd. target never wants to deal.

They must have differnet rules in your neck of the woods. I spoke with the manager at my HD today about all the remaining gold minis...about 8,500....wouldn't budge a penny...I will go back on the 1st and check...I will probably pick them up at 75% off if they are still there.

well i bought what I thought I had room for but had them all put away before I noticed this post. I went to HD again today and they have moved it all to the garden center which is where it always used to be since they opened. But this tells me they might not go to 75% off for awhile. 4 yrs ago I went to fla on the 21st of dec and I remember things were already 75% off as that is when i got 3 deer and a sleigh dirt cheap.

This is what I can think of that i picked up in the last 2 days

4 lighted garland bulbs 9 ft

10 green candy canes

2 red candy canes ( they have tons left)

7 -300 ct clear icicles

12 - 100 ct gold

25-100 ct blue

15 - 100 ct clear

2-600 ct multi white branch tree 9 gave one to sister)

6 sm brown branch fiber optic trees ( going to use them by the pond this summer)

set of 3 skinny lighted trees ( neighbor might want them if not guess I will keep them)

4 -2 ft spiral trees

2 sets of snowman lawn stakes

1 set led changing icicles

3 tinsel snowflakes

5 blue spheres (b-day for sis)

2 sets of santa moon lights (b-day for sis)

I hope next year someone has some blowmolds!!!

Today I mostly cleaned targets shelves on b-day presents for the daycare kids. It is great to get 40 dollar gifts for 9 bucks!!!! I love it and so do they!

Peggy

10,000 Red, 10,000 Green, 9,500 Blue (they ran out), 3,300 Purple, 6,400 Gold (again they ran out of the gold and purple). Got one Pooh and Tiger on a sled inflatable for the wife. And a couple of other boxes of lights for the wife. So about 40k more, and I will go back later to pick up the clears I need and snag whatever else I can at a lower price.

I snagged 14 packages of green unlit garland (for z-trees) from CVS today for $17. Pretty cool in that is was the 18' lengths rather than the usual 9'. I am going to hit another CVS in the next town over tomorrow and see if they have any left. It was marked 50% off, but the manager went to 75% if I would take it all :]

I'm jealous! I went to Walmart the morning after Christmas to pick up some lights, and they didn't have any kind of lights for outside! They didn't even have the replace bulbs, to mark down!!! :shock:I will be in Terre Haute Saturday so maybe they will be marked down a little more, even if they have any left. Hopefully they will otherwise I have no new stuff for next year yet.

JR V wrote:

10,000 Red, 10,000 Green, 9,500 Blue (they ran out), 3,300 Purple, 6,400 Gold (again they ran out of the gold and purple). Got one Pooh and Tiger on a sled inflatable for the wife. And a couple of other boxes of lights for the wife. So about 40k more, and I will go back later to pick up the clears I need and snag whatever else I can at a lower price.

Red, Green , Blue and Purple?? How did you score that? There are none of those colors left in the entire state ofAlaska!! I even checked the stores in Fairbanks (350 miles north of me). All clears, no colors. I am sooo jealous! Guess I will be buying colors for full price next year. :X

Jeff in Alaska

I've seemed to have the same problem here Jeff, I got tons of clears onsale , well I guess not tons, but a fair share, and a few sets of red white wire but thats all they had, everywhere else I checked was well stocked with clear, which I think I am not in need of because it seems thats about all I have now. I really need green and multi, but im not having luck! I also would like more candy canes like the individual ones sold at Wal-mart, if anyone is willing to sell me some lights that they know they have extra , please let me know and I'll try to work something out with you!

JMitchell wrote:

JR V wrote:

Red, Green , Blue and Purple?? How did you score that? There are none of those colors left in the entire state ofAlaska!! I even checked the stores in Fairbanks (350 miles north of me). All clears, no colors. I am sooo jealous! Guess I will be buying colors for full price next year. :X

Jeff in Alaska

You forgot that mysterious Gold that everyone hasn't been able to find this year also. Heck I never even saw them in the stores untill the sales. Surprised the heck out of me.

Ok I can now post with confidence what I did get so far. Went to HD today and asked the maneger when the lights would drop to 75%. He didn't know, but did knock them from.97 to .50 a box. So I cleaned them out, well almost. 15 cases total and some chase lights, nothing more than .50 a box.

• 1 case of blue (all they had)
  • 4 cases of red (gone).
  • 2 cases of green.
  • 3 cases of gold (still two left).
  • 1 case of clear (all they had, and need more).
  • 2 cases of multi.
  • 1 case of a mix of red, green, and blue.
  • 1 case of purple (they had a few more).
  • 1 case of clear C-9's (had several clear and multi left)
  • 4 boxes of clear chase lights (had a lot left)

Still waiting for wally world to come down. They have a few cases of clear hidden on the bottom shelf and a ton of multi (more mini trees). Also want some things for the yard. Kroger down the road has 2 Polar Bears, 2 gold deer, and a penguin that are supposed to drop from 50% to 75% in 2 days if they are not gone. Keep your fingers crossed.

Now I need to fidure out what I am going to do with all that gold. Not sure, but need two more cases to get my $15 dollars off at HD so I bought more gold. It was either that or more purple.

christian_duncan wrote:

sorry ted,I'm a newbie!! I dont have any animation yet - just a static display,lots of trees to decorate and I like the clears better on the trees.

Welcome to Planet Christmas! Please try to excuse me. I don't like clear lights. I try to keep it to myself but sometimes it just comes out. When the all clear lights first came out they were unique and different. I liked them. But as time went on they became overused. Now I see neighborhoods that are a vast sea of all clear lights. They are no longer unique or different. They all start to look the same. All the features run together and all the houses look the same. I'm not saying thatclear lightsdon't have their place. But I like to see some colors in a display. Having different colors in different parts can give a display what I call "good clean lines". Take a look at Ron Lister (http://www.christmaswonders.com) or Jeff Womack's display (http://www.welovechristmaslights.com) and you can see examples of good clean lines. The use of different colors to highlight different features really makes things stand out.

Also, let me dis-spell a myth. It may seem like "everybody" around here does animated or synchronized displays. The VAST majority of people here have static displays! You are in good company! Yes the popularity of animated and/or synchronized displays continues to grow but that doesn't mean they are the majority. Also don't think that one type of display is "better" than the other. I think most of us (maybe all) appreciate all types of displays from small to large.

TED