Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Sirkraker

After Christmas sales!

roye wrote:

a sales person in hd told me today 50 off was the bottom line as per corporate

That is nonsense. Home Depot has always gone to 75% at some point. I had a sales person tell me that once in walmart. A couple days later they were at 75%.

TED

MrsD wrote:

I was in serious need of Green and Blue Minnis ... so what did we do last night? Went back to Wal-Mart and grabbed 125 boxes of 100 Count multi color minnis. Now after we switch 4/5th of the lights around on each string, we will have plenty of Green and Blues and have some dark pink, orange and purple to play with as well.

There is more than one way of getting the colors you need ... even if all that is on the shelfs are multi colors :devil:

Be sure to get theproper tool or you will have sore fingers! What you need is the really cheap pair of wire cutters. (Thanks to Marty Slack for this tip!) They are flat and the edge will get right in there and you can grab the bulb to loosen and remove it. I'll post a picture of the type of wire cutters I'm talking about. I picked them up at a dollar store.Another thing to consider is thatdifferent sets of lights will have different bases. Thiscan be true forsets that are the same brand from the same store bought the same year.Now you could conceivably separate the base from the bulb and switch those but that would incredibly labor intensive! Just buy a bunch more sets than you need so that you can separate them by bulb base type.

TED

post-306-12957098666_thumb.jpg

Nasgul wrote:

Maybe if we combined forces we could convince the industry not to overcharge so much for the LED lights? They'd come in really handy...

I think the only way for that to work would be if no one bought any next year. With the way people are going nuts for them I don't see it happening...

TED

roadnut wrote:

I stopped over at Kindy's in Philadelphia to see what discounts they were offering. To my surprise, NOTHING was discounted, and there was even evidence of some price increases! 100 count "Designer" light sets, that were $3.79 as of early December, were suddenly $4.79. 50 count mini's, previously $1.99, were $2.99. Not sure what the heck that was all about. And all their tree ornaments, blowmolds, trees, wire figs, etc, etc, etc, were the same price as they were prior to Christmas. Tomorrow or Friday is their last day that they'll be open for the season, but it's kinda like, why bother???

What is Kindy's? If they are a seasonal store maybe they are just going to keep everything and offer it for sale again next year.

TED

JR V wrote:

You forgot that mysterious Gold that everyone hasn't been able to find this year also. Heck I never even saw them in the stores untill the sales. Surprised the heck out of me.

Golds have not been a problem.. We have tons of those, just no other colors :X.

Jeff in Alaska

Guest Scot Meyers

me

I FOUND NOTHING!! By the time I got out it was pretty well picked over. so decided to hit the resale shope today will see if i gan buy some stuff that is being recycled befor they store it . I want some artificial trees and some lights but thats about it.

gonna spend my money on bulding my train this year.

WalMart @ 6:15am Dec 26....

40 boxes white

40 boxes green (Sold them out)

50 boxes red (sold them out)

40 boxes blue

3 raindeer

last box of snow flakes

1 happy wife

.....under $200!

Does anyone need some Rope lighting I have BLUE ones.

I would trade rope light for some white mini

or what ever you have

thx JEFF

We hit 3 Walmarts, 2 Targets, 2 Lowes a Home Depot and Garden Ridge and came with with the following:

As of today, we will go into next year with the following excess inventory:

102 Walmart Red 100's Red Mini's

77 Walmart Blue 100's Blue Mini's

98 Walmart Green 100's Green Mini's

85 Walmart Clear 100's Clear Mini's

84 Walmart Color 100's Color Mini's

24 Clear 100's Super Bright Mini's

6 Walmart Color 400's Color Mini's

6 Walmart Clear 400's Clear Mini's

2 Walmart Clear 35's Clear Mini's

1 Walmart Clear 50's Clear Mini's

30 GE Clear 200's Clear Mini's - Commercial

45 GE Clear 150's 5'X3' Net Lights

49 Walmart Clear 150's 6'X4' Net Lights

5 GE Clear 150's 6'X4' Net Lights - Commercial

7 Walmart Red 150's 6'X4' Net Lights

5 Walmart Blue 150's 6'X4' Net Lights

0 Walmart Green 150's 6'X4' Net Lights

7 Clear 150's Tree Net lights 2'X12'

10 Clear 300's Clear Ice Cicle Lights

4 Phillips Blue 90's - LED Net Lights Faceted Blue Sphere

31 Phillips Blue 60's - LED Faceted Mini's

23 Phillips Blue 60's - LED Dome Blue

15 Phillips Blue 60's - LED Faceted Sphere

1 Phillips Red 70's - LED Faceted C6

3 Home Depot Red 70's - LED Faceted C6

1 Home Depot Color 70's - LED Faceted Color Mini's

4 Target Blue 18 Foot Rope Light

6 GE Clear 15 Foot Rope Light

6 Walmart Red 18 Foot Rope Light

1 Home Depot 40" 3D Animated Skiing Polar Bear

2 Home Depot Clear 4' & 6' Spiral Trees

1 Home Depot Blue 6' LED 6' Blue LED Tree

1 Home Depot Green 6' LED 6' Green LED Tree

3 Walmart Clear 6' 300's 6' Clear Wire Tree

2 Walmart Color 6' 300's 6' Color Wire Tree

6 Target Clear Mini's 3 - 2' Evergreen Mini Trees

Attn everyone there is new distributor of lights in florida - ITS TIM:laughing:

I bet you got lots of :shock::shock::shock:when you carted that stuff thru the store.

That has to be the biggest score of the year - congrats

Christian

10,000 Walmart Clear Mini's

8 Walmart Red Candy Canes

8 Walmart Green Candy Canes

6 Menards 100 light mini globes

Next year im going to setup a LOR system

Cheers.

You guys are SO LUCKY to have found the solid colors... I bought some BLUE last night, but only 14 boxes, thats all they had. and 4 boxes of PURPLE.

If I wanted MULTI color, I'd be a happy camper! :devil:

Thanks goes out to the poster who mentioned HD had their Christmas stuff to the garden center. I had stopped in there on friday to make one last pass, but seeing everything gone, I had given up for the year.

After reading that post, I swing by again today and checked the garden center - JACKPOT! They must have had more inventory in their warehouse/storage that they broguth out - I was able to get another 10,000 of each color - incuding the coveted Golds! I'm not set on lights for my first show in 2007.

Now the question is....can I start sequencing with the software BEFORE I have the controllers (waiting for the sale), or do I have to have everything on hand before I start?

WebFusion wrote:

Now the question is....can I start sequencing with the software BEFORE I have the controllers (waiting for the sale), or do I have to have everything on hand before I start?

Sequence away, no need for controllers... I will be purchasing 4 more from Dan and the guys over the course of the next year, starting April, but i will start sequencing now

TED wrote:

roadnut wrote:

What is Kindy's? If they are a seasonal store maybe they are just going to keep everything and offer it for sale again next year.

TED

Kindy's is a place that is open all year selling Christmas stuff in Philadelphia. At Christmas time they open satelite stores.

Lou

*DISCLAIMER*

This post is not meant to offend anyone. If it does I apologize in advance for my shallowness.

I have been getting tired of going into store after store and finding nothing. I decided to make one more trip yesterday to the "ghetto" part of town. I don't know why but the lesser financially secure residents inside our city do not tend to buy lights at any price. I went to Menards, Lowes, and Meijer. I was able to pick up almost 11,000 LED lights for half off. I had only seen 2 boxes of LED's at 2 different stores before this.

If you aren't having any luck at your local or usual stores, you might try a short drive. I called another Meijer today in an equally bad part of town and the lady said they had "more Christmas lights than they knew what to do with." I'm heading there tomorrow.

Matt

I hit 5 Wal-marts today and got the following LED's @ 75 % off.

One store I got 134 boxes, and another 6 boxes, 3 stores I had Zero LED's left.

So it seems to be hit and miss.

34 Holiday Time C7 Multi Lights LED 25 850

9 Holiday Time C6 Multi Lights LED 35 315

7 Holiday Time Icicle Multi Lights LED 70 490

25 Holiday Time M5 Multi Lights LED 50 1250

65 Holiday Time Dome Mini Multi Lights LED 60 3900

Today Total score of 6805

Making my total after Christmas total 20465

Of which 18885 are LED's for my outside display which I currently have about 7000 light for my outside display.

So I should at over 25,000 LED's for my outside display.

Happy New Year..................................

Mark

AKA Bullet100t

Sigh...

I got about 50 boxes of each color except BLUE.....blue has evaded me this year, and I've checked every store within 100 miles! The weather was so bad last year that they had tons of excess. This year it was so nice that many places were out of lights before christmas! Crazy!

I didn't know that Gold was a coveted color. I do White, Red, Blue, and Green in my display. I passed up 2 cases of gold at HomeDepot just yesterday.....

Well Considering I have 30,000 un-opened lights in the attic I thought I would pick up some LEDS

I got 31 boxes of 60 count Phillips white dome lights originally 12.99'

and 12 boxes of Phillips Blue LEDdome lights originally 12.99'

a nativity and a new star for the mega tree

Ok here is my score over the past week from Wal-Marts, Targets, Home Depot, Lowesand Walgreens.

100 ct clear mini 191 boxes

100 ct gold mini 54 boxes

100 ct blue mini 85 boxes

100 ct purple on white wire mini 52 boxes

100 ct purple on green wire mini 66 boxes

100 ct red mini 127 boxes

red rope 4 boxes

clear rope 4 boxes

blue rope 2 boxes

100 ct multi sphere 3

100 ct red sphere 3

100 ct blue sphere 1

100 ct green sphere 2

100 ct clear sphere 6

LED C-6 25 ct blue 9 boxes

LED C-6 25 ct clear 5 boxes

Plus thanks to a helpful PC member 100 ct green mini 49 boxes on there way.