Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Sirkraker

After Christmas sales!

3 light up deer. 2 are animated

1 lounging deer

1 animated moose

1 Skiing moose

two 42 inch snowflakes

4 light up presents

5000 lights

light up horse and carriage

12 light up candy canes

light clips, stakes

timers

Total spent 220

total saved 300.00

Going animated next year with LOR I hope I am ready

2500 Clear lights

2500 Blue lights

1000 Red lights

200 Clear C9 lights

8 lighted candy canes

Lighted penguine (display 80% off)

$108 total

$160 saved

Whitey

23,700 minis

750 C-9

26,700minis (purchased last week)

51,150 Total lights to add to next years display - All clears

$942.39 Total Spent

Display with 75,000 lights priceless!!!!:laughing:

I talked to a guy at home depot last tuersday that was willing to pull everything they had in the above catagories. I had to drive 65 miles to get there, but it was worth the trip. I tried several stores, and no one else was willing to do that for me, I told the store manager about this great action. This enabled me to hit a few other stores to pick up lights elsewhere.

5500 blue minis from Wally World

A few sections of net lights for tree trunks

8 boxes of rope light

1200 purple minis (for Halloween!)

All in all, the selection at Target is disappointing this year. That's where I usually get all my lights. Luckily I still have some red and green from last year's haul that haven't been used yet. I will go back for clear lights if there are still some for 75% off, but I really have lots of those already.

I guess this was one of those down years for lights. :{

Was about to give up, and decided to give Home depot a try...PAYDIRT!

1. 91 boxes of green minis

2. 88 boxes of blue minis

3. 40 boxes of red minis

4. 41 boxes of gold minis

*plus the 44 sts of c7 LED's (11 of each color) I snagged from Amazon for $4.50 each!

Unfortunately, no white/clear to be found under $1.00 a box (my limit) so, those will have to wait.

All in all, a good haul ;-)

I did pretty good!!

score.jpg

131 boxes of green.

55 boxes of red (still need another 50+ boxes)

and 12 boxes of purple.

I still need 124 boxes of white/green wire, and 16 boxes of white/white, but, the places around here always have those still left @ 90% off, its the solid colors that are almost impossible to find.

:)

3 - 150 ftspools of Green Rope Light

10 - 250 white minilights professional grade

10 - LED Garland lights

6 - 100 LED c-7s (Green and Blue)

$400 for the above best deal was the rope light for $53 a box.

(add 10 boxesof Gold LED c-7 strings (35 bulbs each) $45 from Amazon)

CHRISTMAS GIFTS...

1 animated wireframe sking bear

1 box 100 white mini lights

$50 Lowes Giftcard

Permission form the wife to purchase no less than 4 more LOR this spring during the sale... Priceless.

Pre-Christmas - 1 seasons greetings Gemmy yard card, a desktop snowglobe, and a rotating lamp from Lowe's. I got to work today so I will see what I can find after work. Anyone know if HD is 75% off now?

I got 900 blue lights from Home Depot.

Our Lowes had only like 4 strands of mulitcolored LEDs...didn't buy any,

Our Menards only had a bunch of LEDs, don't want them...too expensive

Our Home Depot only had purple, yellow and blue minis...picked up only 9 boxes.

Oh, and BTW, they were 97 cents!

I'm going to Walmart soon to see what I can get.

Brad Caudill wrote:

Pre-Christmas - 1 seasons greetings Gemmy yard card, a desktop snowglobe, and a rotating lamp from Lowe's. I got to work today so I will see what I can find after work. Anyone know if HD is 75% off now?

HD is still 50% here in GA. So I am waiting till tomorrow. One of their sales associates said he think they might drop tomorrow. I hope so I one to get at least 10 cases or more. But $1 a box, I'll wait. They still had a good selection.

jfelix wrote:

Brad Caudill wrote:

HD is still 50% here in GA. So I am waiting till tomorrow. One of their sales associates said he think they might drop tomorrow. I hope so I one to get at least 10 cases or more. But $1 a box, I'll wait. They still had a good selection.

Thanks.. mine had a ton of stuff still so I can wait another day and see what I can find.

I haven't been out yet. I try not to buy anything for less than 75% off.

TED

christian_duncan wrote:

51,150 Total lights to add to next years display - All clears

Over 50,000 lights and no color!?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

TED

No lights, no flood light holders, nothing but this....

A 12 feet tall snow globe for 75.00 dollars. Regular price I saw before Christmas was 297.00. Could you call that a deal?

This year we went to Michaels and got 70 x 9ft strands of garland. I am going to attempt the z tree in 2007. I got them for 1.49 per strand.

I went to target and they actually had alot of lights still left.

2400 Clear Mini's

1600 Blue Mini's

72' Blue Rope light

72' Clear Rope light

72' Red Rope Light

54' Green Rope light

Giant outdoor tree ornaments 3 sets of each (5.00 per set of five)

Metal outdoor flood holders 10 x 2.50 each

Light keeper pro - 10.00

40' extention cords x 4 3.99 a piece

nothing to be honest i am ordering clear led's off the internet where there is no such thing as a sale, at 300 for 24 strings it's worth it in my opinion. i really need leds for the power problem with using 5 breakers worth, i need more power, but leds are a great solution for me. manily cause i can take out one 100 clear string and put in couple of led strings, and i would get them in store but they have multi only, go figure in a small town like this. plus when the big truck comes rollin up with about 100 strings of leds i will be really happy, since half of the display will be in leds then. since they come in 24 packs since they are commerical strenght i will be getting over 100 strings.

All minis...

72 x 100 ct gold Home Depot

31 x 100 multi Ace

16 x 100 clear Ace

23 x 100 blue Home Depot

Looking to trade some of the gold for colors. Anyone interested in a trade ?

Target

-20- 40ft extension cords

15- 15ft extension cords

Wal Mart

5,000 blue white wire

7,500 blue green wire

7,100 red green wire

15,000 clear white wire

12 - 30" standing buck

2- 28" feeding doe

36 red candy canes

HD

3,800 red green wire

16,200 clear green wire

15,900 gold green wire

2,500 - 50 count multi green wire

2,500 - 50 count clear green wire

Don't know how much I save and sure don't tell how much I spend.

Opps. I forgot 4 red flood lights and 4 green flood lights.

Hit a Wal-Mart near me. Only place in three counties with only remaining stock. Got there at 6am as the doors were opening. Another 30 minutes and I would have been out of luck, it was a feeding frenzy.

Got mini-lights for next year's z-trees and some icicle lights to do the house with. First year for LOR next year and plan to do a lot of color changing stuff.

7500 clear mini

7500 red mini

7500 green mini

7500 blue mini

20 candy canes

5500 clear icicle

one 6' spiral tree (had eleven, needed an even 12)

walmart.jpg

Well did some "tag teaming" this morning because there were only 2 stores that had anything other than white icicle lights and some pre-made items.

Here is a quick list from memory:

Minis Yellow 48 4,800

Minis Red 9 900

Rope light 4 Color 1 216

Snowflakes 13"21 735

Landing Zone1 350

Garland Lights Blue82,400

Garland Lights Green 82,400

Garland Lights Red 8 2,400

Garland Lights Clear 12 3,600

Mesh Lights Multi 4 800

Mesh Lights Clear 6 1,200

2' Trees Clear 3 105

Snow Man Clear 1 35

Total Lights 19,941

Total spent on Lights only $421.57

Total Saved is about the same amount: $435.

Non -Lights

Garland – Pine 144’

Garland – Beaded 600’+

Bows - Large 9

Bows – Tiny 36

Extension Cords (55’) 9

Extension Cords (15’) 11

add to this some gift bags for easy wrapping next year.

We had estimated that we would increase our 11,000 lights up toabout 20,00 lights next year.After looking at this list, we may be lucky to keep it under 25,000 lights in our display.

:waycool:

Forgot

Oh yeah ... and some hand towels and FingerTip towles along with TWO Christmas presents for next year!

i only went to one place , this afternoon. home depot. they had them for 97 cents a box. i asked for the manager. when he came i told him i would buy all the blue, red, green, gold and purple lights he would make me a better deal. counting his inventory and a little back and forth later, i picked up 9,000 of each color for 44 cents a box (that included 10% sales tax). total spent, a little less than $200. talk to the managers if your buying a lot. ive always been able to get a better discount at lowes and hd. target never wants to deal.