Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Toaster

Spot Lights - I want some.

I saw a couple of display video's this year with Spot lights... Moving spot lights shinning on to the house... red/green... they looked great.

Are these something people made or something people bought? Any advice to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

(note: sorry if this sounds stupid, but after reading about all the cool stuff I've seen people make on this forum, you have to ask first and assume anything you see in a video is hand made :D)

Tom

Not knowing what you actually saw, my first suggestion was to have you look at DMX Intelligent lighting for your solution...

Here's a link to a retail outlet...

http://www.platinum-records.com/Moving-Head-Lights-Intelligent-DMX-cat29.htm

and here

http://www.platinum-records.com/CHAUVET-LEGEND-ILS515DMR-150DMR-ILS-150-DMR-Intelligent-Light-prod6648.htm

here's a cheaper one...

http://www.platinum-records.com/CHAUVET-MINI-LEGEND-DMX-425-prod6650.htm

My husband did red, green & blue spots this year on 3 different places on our house. He used the LOR channels to do the effects and bought spotlight colored bulbs and spotlight outdoor holders and then synced them in with the music. Cost was pretty cheap and I would guess maybe $10 max per light but depending on how you wire them it can take up quite a few channels on your LOR.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but here is the link of a little of what he did.

http://www.unimatrix01.com/node1/wizards.wmv

Good luck!

Annie

Depending on your needs most any party store will have lights that go back and forth -- the difference is, you can't control the back-and-forth motion (just on and off) the just move back and forth at their own will -- DMX lights *you* control the back and forth motion. With DMX lights you also need softwareor a controller board to control the lights.

DMX controlled lighting is relatively expensive, plus more equipment, but you get better control.

Cheap party lights can be controlled by a timer, X10, Light-o-rama, etc...

I'm looking for moving spot lights, but cheap. I really don't care if I control the movement... They can move around at random, no issue with that (for me anyway).

I'd like to control the on/off with the controller obviously... I can't find any of the video's I saw this year, but they were all moving red/green spots, and they were being controlled by LOR or other controller.

I had a couple of idea's, but want to actually try on before I mention it --- That way I can patent my idea as the "Toaster Light" :laughing:

Seriously though, I want a CHEAP moving spot light, nothing in the professional $500 range :( I'm a cheap-skate.. I want simple and inexpensive. :D

What about an overhead projector. Put a piece of black felt on the glass with a circular (or snowflake or whatever) shaped hole in it. Then put a gel on it for the color you want.

Then just need to figure out a way to move it around a bit...I am thinking of a platform on a ball joint...then two windshield wiper motors...one for side to side movement and one for up and down....

Might have to separate the wiring for the fan and the light so the fan could stay on...might not be on long enough at a time to get too hot..

I believe he is talking about Mike Z's display or Ken W. Good's display. They both used a roving spot called the yoke that was controlled by AL. Both very good displays.

As fas as cheap, good luck with that unless you build it yourself.

Roman

Russ wrote:

Depending on your needs most any party store will have lights that go back and forth -- the difference is, you can't control the back-and-forth motion (just on and off) the just move back and forth at their own will --

Could you simply do a mod to seperate the bulb power from the motor power, like in a Light Fluries. The fixture would always be moving around but the bulb would only shine when you turn it on via LOR, AL or VIXEN!

Brian

I kind of expected to build it myself, so thats not a problem.

I will be running Vixen next year, so my setup will be a DIY system. :waycool: If I create and use all the channels, I should have enough for 228 possible channels, but I doubt I'll hit that number.

From what I understand about the load capacity of ANY "channel" beit AL/LOR/DIY or DLIGHT, the lower the better and safer, so I'm thinking LED floods perhaps? I don't know. As for movement, the "base" could move continuously - not a problem, and then only the bulb would need to be controlled and switched.

I've seen Mike Z's video, and yes that was one of them, I'm not sure about KEN GOOD's display...? Perhaps. I've seen SOOO MANY video's this year - they all kind of "bleed" together after a while :)

-Tom (in Arlington, TX)

Mount the El Cheapo Spotlight stake and bulb to a makeshift rotating table. Use a deer motor to have it go side to side kind of like the animated buck head. it will go side to side like a large spotlight. Use white, green and red, maybe even 3 colors on one table and have LOR control the different light colors and the on and off movement of the motor.

-Duane

are you looking for an effect like this, this is what i did, or using dmx you can buy a scanner, but that might be hard.

th_boogiewoogie_0001.jpg

datcapital wrote:

Mount the El Cheapo Spotlight stake and bulb to a makeshift rotating table. Use a deer motor to have it go side to side kind of like the animated buck head. it will go side to side like a large spotlight. Use white, green and red, maybe even 3 colors on one table and have LOR control the different light colors and the on and off movement of the motor.

-Duane

I don't know that a standard floodlight would have the brightness or focus to work the way a spotlight does. They are designed to have a wide spread, ie flood...that's why I suggested an old overhead projector. They have a lens to focus the light and a very bright bulb.

However, a means of changing the color would be cool as well. I know a couple of the overheads I have are equipped with the transparant vinyl that rolls up on a spool on either side of the glass...maybe colored vinyl and a small stepper motor to move the vinyl back and forth..

Well if you want a true spot why not judt build some cans?

Get some PVC that the bulbs will fit into and then make them however long you want.

This will direct a beam of light where you want. Then turn them off and on with LOR.

I really thing that this is something you are going to have to build.

datcapital wrote:

-Duane

To do this you might have to use somthing along the line of a source four, a regular flood wouldn't give you the effect of a scanner, and you couldn't use gobo's. AL had aGobo projector/ rotatoryou could easily put color gels, or color scrollers in front of it.