Rework of sequences when adding to display

basis21b

I am planning to add more objects to my animated display. I am wondering how many people go back to their created sequences and incorporate the new elements into them or do you just leave them and create the next sequences with the new elements included?

Any pointers that help with that decision would be appreciated.

Tom B (the other one)

What I did this year was to make a copy of each oflast year's sequences.Last year'sare now in a 05 folder.

I then made a new musical sequence including all the new channels and such and a new animation screen. This became the templet for 06. (Export channel configuration in the drop down edit tab)

When it was time to resequence, all I had to do was open the 06 copy, then import the 06 templet (edit >>> import channel configuration which bring up a new window with your templet choices >>> double click the one you want) LOR will then guide you through the rest of the set up.

Make sure that you have a new name for the updated files, ie 07_Jingle Bells if you want to keep your origionals.

Happy sequencing!

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Roberson wrote:

Curious new user

^ That's a person after my own heart! A new user with 144 channels. That'sthe number of channels I had as a new userin 2006 :]

As for the topic: I've found that the best thing for me was to date a folder, and make a copy of all my sequences in it. Then I would create a text file in the folder with a little note about what changes had been made up to that point.

Then I just edited and added the new stuff to my working files. On three occasions, I made mistakes that would have been very difficult to repair if I hadn't made a backup before starting the changes.

jeff

I'm still using original sequences from Christmas 2003. Back then, we had 40 channels. Then we went to 80, now 96. I use a technique similar to Becky's.

The hardest conversion was when we went from 10 slices on the Mega-tree to 12 (in 3 different colors, so it was really 30 slices to 36). I had to rework all of the spins, etc. But having 12 slices (evenly divisible by both 3 and 4) has been very convenient when doing newer sequences.

-Tim

You know what Dad always said, "if your gonna jump in, do it with both feet". Thanks for the response. I have 144 channels because we are going to do 3 houses. The only way to get the neighbors involved was to buy all the controllers, then shame them into participating! We think we'll start with 48 channels per house. Who knows after that!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

basis21b wrote:

I am planning to add more objects to my animated display. I am wondering how many people go back to their created sequences and incorporate the new elements into them or do you just leave them and create the next sequences with the new elements included?

Any pointers that help with that decision would be appreciated.

Tom B (the other one)

Its amazing, NEW songs make better use of new features then updating old ones. However its not impossible but unless you examine second by second like you did the first time, your addition of new features might be less then optimal. I suggest taking it slow, plan to spend as much time as you did the first time carefully looking at and playing 1 second at a time to see it work the way you'd like. Its still easier because you already have your beats inputted. Try to resist the "easy way" of copying other previously used circuits for your new added features, but depending on the new feature, sometimes this can be the way to go. IN my display using 27 to 30 songs, there is really too much do examine every song in detail unless I start really early at the updates so I sometimes opt to leave the new feature dark this year or just copy/paste which always will come out less then desired because the sequencing wasnt done with the new effect in mind, only the old. But all of this can be said for importing someone else's sequence. It was programmed with the other guy's in mind and not YOUR features.