Next year is up in the air.

Well things are winding down and the display will only be up for a couple of days. It has been a fun journey since I signed up on the 4th of July of this year and decided to do my first animated light show. I will post another thread sometime in the future about the whole process of a newbie and how things went. A newspaper out of Salt Lake City did an article on my display. You can read it at

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4924213

The reporter called be a couple of days ago and he started asking about the light show and then asked the question if I will be doing it next year. I told him that I am pretty sure but it would depend on the HOA if they allowed our gates to be open during the holiday season. The gate is being installed in the spring. The reporter then sort of went crazy on the whole neighborhood relation angle of the story and it kind of made my neighbors out to be scrooges which really is not the case.

I have many neighbors that want to see it next year but there are a few that are concerned with the amount of traffic that it has brought. Also there has been been some damaged done by some idiot that decided to take their 4x4 through the grass in our private park.

There is a pretty good chance that it will happen next year but there is a small chance that I will not be able to have the gates open during the holiday season, and if that happens, I will be moving the display to a friends house.

RichardH wrote:

I have many neighbors that want to see it next year but there are a few that are concerned with the amount of traffic that it has brought. Also there has been been some damaged done by some idiot that decided to take their 4x4 through the grass in our private park.

Did this occur right in front of your house?

I was checking out the webcam and noticed what appeared to be tracks.

That was another incident. One of the neighborhood kids decided to take his 4 wheeler through the park after our first snow storm. You can not see the the other tracks from my web cam but they go through the circle tracks you see on my web cam. It looks like somebody decided to skip all the traffic that was infron of my home and decided to take a short cut through the park.

When the ground is really wet with snow and rain, it leaves a pretty good tire tracks behind and ruts.

====

Also if you check my web cam you can see that I added some orange cones and some tall plastic reflectors that go into the ground. What was happening is people where pulling way off the road and onto the grass in the park. It was fine when the ground was frozen but it got a little warmer for a few days and became a sloppy mess. Wish I caught it earlier and I could have saved it.

The problem is a lot of kids play in the park so I don't think we would be able to rope it all off. We may be able to put barriers in key locations that would discourage people from driving on the grass.

I really am not going to worry about it until I know for sure what is going to be happening next year. My neighbors and myself have learned a lot from this year so if the show continues, we will have a better plan in place for traffic issues.

This is an old picture of the neighborhood (It is full of houses now)

thehood.jpg

but one of my ideas is maybe get a lot of houses involved and make it a drive through instead of a park and watch. We could then direct all the traffic one way and everybody would just loop around.

The problem though of creating something on this scale is that it will bring more traffic and I am sure that many neighbors are going to be very opposed to that.

Right now I am just going to work with the neighborhood to see if everybody wants to get involved or not and let them come up with some ideas. I am thinking a lot more people will get involved if you allow them to come up with ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

RichardH wrote:

The problem though of creating something on this scale is that it will bring more traffic and I am sure that many neighbors are going to be very opposed to that.

Right now I am just going to work with the neighborhood to see if everybody wants to get involved or not and let them come up with some ideas. I am thinking a lot more people will get involved if you allow them to come up with ideas.

You might be on the right track. If you can get the neighbors involved, make it a "neighborhood" display then you'll give them a little sense of ownership and pride in the display. They might help set up and take down also.

• 7 months later...

I love digging up old threads.

Well things are a go here. I sent out an e-mail asking if anybody was opposed to doing it again this year and many people replied back saying go for it and only one was sort of opposed to it but they will put up with it. They are a really nice family but they just have some concerns. One guy owns a sign shop and said any signs I need for the display would be free!

I may be getting my next door neighbors involved also with the display this year. I figured out his whole yard and exactly what it would cost and gave him a print out. Now I need to do the same with my other neighbor.

If things go right, this will be my canvas.

3houses.jpg

That is soo cool Richard. I remember reading this old post and being sad thinking you

might not do a show this year. Three houses all controled by you - how great is that!

I live in a more rural area but people are all ready talking. I'm getting jazzed just

thinking about this year.

That is soo cool Richard. I remember reading this old post and being sad thinking you

might not do a show this year. Three houses all controled by you - how great is that!

I live in a more rural area but people are all ready talking. I'm getting jazzed just

thinking about this year.