Appropriate day(s) to turn OFF the lights?

John Tucker wrote:

The only right answer to this is what day you decide to turn it off. No one other than you can decide this and only you kow when your traffic has died down. Now if you want me to tell you what colors to use on a mega tree, well that's another quesiton all together! :)

I'm wanting some idea of the appropriate options that people would usually expect or choose for themselves?

I was gonna wait till tomorow but forecasting freezing rain and high winds tonight and tomorow so started take down today got 60% done so far .Have to take wife and mother out for supper tonight. Will finish tomorow if weather permits first time in fifty years that I can remember that we had a GREEN Christmas and New Years up here in Northern Ontario very rare for us Usually we get 12 inches of snow minimum on the ground.:]

I usually take them down New Years Day. We've done that in the family and I will probably keep doing it, unless it's a year of feet and feet of snow here and then they'll stay up for a bit, but considering this year it's green outside and we had rain today, it'll come down tomorrow. Sad to do it, especially since this was my first year of using LOR, but it has to get done. Good thing though, means I can bring the box in and hook it up to my computer in my "office" with my lights on the wall and start on next years display! 16 more channels next year

Midnight New Year's is the last show. I'll start taking the lights down over the next few days depending on the weather. I'm hoping to have them all down by mid-February but the roof peak icicles may have to wait for the ground to dry out or freeze.

Sally

Friday the 29th was the last night of my show.

I spent Saturday and Sunday taking everything down and packing everything away.

I usually wait until the new year, but I took advantage of the 50 degree New England "winter" weather.

Walt

sasmuse wrote:

Midnight New Year's is the last show. I'll start taking the lights down over the next few days depending on the weather. I'm hoping to have them all down by mid-February but the roof peak icicles may have to wait for the ground to dry out or freeze.

Sally

Same here, tonight is the last night. I've been busy the last few days making storage space for the mini trees I've made. Don't want to take them apart, so I'll store them in the overhead storageshelves in the garage that I made. Hope to have everything down and put away by next weekend.

Happy New Year to All our PC friends.

It was a GREAT first year and the help and knowlege I received from a number of members here have been priceless. Thankyou all.

Ken Gelinas and Family

Most people like some of us veterans here on PC pull the plug New Years Day or around January 6th.

But don't truely base it on that. What is the traffic outside at the display. If you are only getting 1-5 cars an hour, then it might be time to pull the plug. With the warmer temps this year, most people are now out of the christmas mood and ready for spring.

jmccorm wrote:

What are the commonly accepted 'appropriate' time(s) to turn off the Christmas lights?

New years day? Something like the saturday after 12 days past Christmas? What? I'm confused.

This topic comes up yearly and the answers are always very similar. Let me summarize by making up4 groups: early birds, ball droppers, 3 kings, and green leafers.

Early birds: A few people start tearing it down right after Christmas--usually the 26th. I estimate this group to be maybe 5%. (Then again Chuck may be the only one.)

Ball droppers: Many folks like to have the lights on through New Year's and take them down either New Year's day or the following couple of days. This group is probably around 61%.

Three Kings: These are people who like to keep their lights on through Jan 6. This is thought of as the Epiphany, Three kings day, and the 12th day of Christmas. This group is probably 31%.

Green Leafers: These are people who don't want to take them down. They hate the dark, dull, sad darkness when the last few houses finally stop turning on their lights. They cling vehamently totheir lights taking them down only when the green of new foliage starting to come out threatens to imbed lights into tree trunksand entangle blowmolds into bushes forever. I estimate my group...oops, not "my" group. I mean this, THIS group to be only 3%.

TED

i'm a 3 king then i guess...lol. to me lights come down the 1st weekend of the new year. the 1st just happen to fall on monday which meant i got an extra week. lol. this was our last night for the lights. they'll come down tomorrow. that is if weather permits. it's been a wet dreary week and 70% chanmce of rain tomorrow. lights will go off but might not actually come down until they dry sometime next week if tomorrow is nasty.

Ours are coming down today (Saturday). I usually like to wait a week into the new year, as many poeple are coming back from out of town Christmas vacations. I had numerous poeple askign me if the lights would be up after NEw Years because so and so is out of town and I want to bring them by....

I do mine as weather permits

Usually Jan 1st I take verything down inside the house:

Window candles, decorations, Christmas village

--the window candles I usually wait for a "warm" day as they are held in place by the window. I need open the window to take them out

One year I was 1/2 way into Feb before I had them all down

I started taking the outside stuff down in bulk today

It's over 60 out, who-da thunk I'd be sweating in Jan taking down lights?

Nativity & Santa on the roof are 1st, then icicle lights

Then the blow molds & wire frame

I leave the LED's until last

Whatever is left up I keep lighted until they are taken down

I think a couple lighted deer in the yard would be nice for winter

I like seeing the lights after a snowstorm, no snow this year

That was cool ... did you know that 98 % percent of averages are made up!

I am a 12 days of Christmas guy myself, three kings kind of guy. Last night was the last night and yes we had the Police out to shut us down .. Long story .... but I can offically say we had to shut down the display because the Police were called. I guess the makes a bad hree kings kind of guy.

I had a good Buddy (Joey) over las night for the final Show and shutdown of the lights.

anyhow I packed up a good portion of it today

Honestly, as soon as Christmas day is over, I want my display off and put up. Before we started doing animated displays, I normally put up all the lights the day after Christmas. When we switched over to an animated display, we started leaving the lights up later. Now I normally leave the lights on until New Year weekend. I try to have all the lights up by the end of New Year's day. I did not meet that goal this year, but it is still my goal.

Ken

Turns out the wife thinks the 2 animated bucks, animated doe & baby will look good for the winter. SO they are in the front garden & will stay there

I have 9 strings of LED's to take down then I am finished

Now I just need to finish packing it away

I use fpor Halloween:

Red & blue strings of lights

Green & blue spotlights

Window candles - with flicker lights

So, I'm careful on what gets packed away in what order

It makes it easier in October to start setting up

Plus with these lights already setup, I have "less" to do for Dec 1st

blearning wrote:

That was cool ... did you know that 98 % percent of averages are made up!

:laughing:

A friend at work always says "It's a 78.5% probability that 96.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot at least 84.6% of the time"

jeff (I had to quickly post this, my 667th post. The previous one scared me a little:devil:)

edit: because I still keep forgetting to proof read my spelling....