Watch me take down my star - Live Web Cam

JellyTheory wrote:

Hi Richard,

...And lastly, what happened in that list picture where you're hanging from the roof???

-Chris

LOL. When I saw the fallen ladder picture, I called for my husband to come take a look... "Hey, I found a picture of you on the internet!" This was our first year with an extending ladder, so I had to give him a bad time. :)

Richard, your display looks great but I have a question for you I couldn't find an answer for in your FAQ! ;)

What kind of video camera are you using to record it? You've got some wonderful results and I'm not real happy with my MiniDV camera I have now.

So what is it? ;)

The video or the WebCam?

The Web Cam is an Axis 2120 Network Web Cam.

For most of the Videos I used a Canon Optura20 (there are a few videos that I used a friend's 3CCD Camera).

http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/canon/optura20-review/index.shtml

I bought it a little over 3 years ago and it is miniDV. It has manual control of the exposure and focus which is very nice when shooting Christmas Lights.

crazy4holidays wrote:

Brad, You need a tripod first.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing::laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TED

RichardH wrote:

clafournaise wrote:

32' Fully Extended. I have it fully extended when doing my highest peaks.

The part I would hate about that would be going from up on the roof back onto the ladder. :shock:

TED

How much flex is in your ladder when it's fully extended? I have a 32' fiberglass and it is very solid at 32 feet but it weights over 100 pounds and I'm worn out after putting up 20 feet of lights. I've thought about buying an aluminum ladder but I've been told they tend to "flex" more than fiberglass and my 240 pound body might bend it in the middle.

Matt

RichardH wrote:

Here are some close ups. I use the built in clip on the C9 Socket

c9-lights-01.jpg

The photo of me hanging off the roof is just for fun. It is not real. :)

Ha! I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone use those little clips on the c9 lights to hang them!!! I have to use those all-purpose light holders to hang 'em on my roof/gutters :)

icemanodo wrote:

Ha! I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone use those little clips on the c9 lights to hang them!!! I have to use those all-purpose light holders to hang 'em on my roof/gutters :)

I thought more people used them this way. Everyone in my neighborhood does them this way. I guess it depends on how your house is built.

• 11 months later...

Old thread, so let's revive it!

Richard, what thickness is the plywood for your star? I didn't see it listed on your web site, and was thinking originally that it was 3/4", but after seeing the part about drilling from both sides, and it only weighing 25lbs, am thinking it's now at most, 1/2".

I'm buying the plywood for mine tomorrow (last day for my 10% off coupon for Home Depot). Thanks for the detailed instructions! Mine will not be going on top of my roof though, you must be a little crazy to do that! :laughing: