D-Light or LOR

I am looking at controllers for the first time and am trying to decide between LOR or D-light.

The D-light 16 channel controllers are cheaper and the software is also cheaper and has more features as far as I can see.

Is there something I am missing? Are the LOR controllers better quality or something?

Thanks,

NeilM

neilm wrote:

I am looking at controllers for the first time and am trying to decide between LOR or D-light.

The D-light 16 channel controllers are cheaper and the software is also cheaper and has more features as far as I can see.

Is there something I am missing? Are the LOR controllers better quality or something?

Thanks,

NeilM

NeilM,

I have been looking at both also, I did a lot of reading. If you wander over to the D-Light thread their seems to be alot of people having trouble keeping their shows running without crashing or the music and lights getting way out of sync. They have been working on the problem at a pretty good pace but I am not reading that it has been fixed yet.

Also LOR has a new controller comming out at lower price point then their current stuff.

John

Keep in mind that D-Light's software has only been out since November and the guys over there have been great about getting on top of the problems and getting updates published. For a first time publishing of a program like this D-Light has done a great job.

At this point I would not hesitate tosay go withD-Light.

Just so there is no misunderstanding I was not trying to be negative about D-Light.

They probably will get everything worked out and end up with a great product also. I was simply pointing out what I had found in the last couple of weeks while making a purchasing decision also. I tend to feel better with a more mature company for something like this rather then with someone that is still cutting their teeth.

This is just my opinion.

John

neilm wrote:

Thanks,

NeilM

If your able to build things then checkout:

http://www.vixenlights.com

http://www.computerchristmas.com

The vixen software is on par with what dlight/lor have.

These two sites are for the DIY type.

I'll chime in as a D-Light guy...

The software still has some bugs, but as of right now all but 2 you can easily work around. I ended up running a fantastic show that went off without a hitch.

I suggest you download demos of both programs and see what you like better.

BTW - I made my choice after I found out at LOR hasn't really updated their software in over a year.

maxout wrote:

I'll chime in as a D-Light guy...

The software still has some bugs, but as of right now all but 2 you can easily work around. I ended up running a fantastic show that went off without a hitch.

I suggest you download demos of both programs and see what you like better.

BTW - I made my choice after I found out at LOR hasn't really updated their software in over a year.

I just want to second what Justin said. The software has had some bugs but a show could be run during the Christmas season. D lights software was released just weeks before the Christmas season started. There was a lot of chatter about getting the initial bugs fixed and the D light guys got the major issues taken care of so people could get a show up and running. Now they have 11 months to get all the fine tuning done. Either company will be good, it will just come down to preference.

My decision came down to the fact that the cost per channel with D light and their "silver kits" were so much less than anything else. I spent just under $200 for 32 channels for the boards and the parts (I still have extra parts too for when I build more boards). I do have some electronic accounts with my business that made the cost of parts go down for me. Anyone should be able to get 32 channels (parts included) for less than $230 with some parts shopping. This does not include the software or wires needed for connecting to PC,AC power, and the lights.

Again I will state both companies are good. I am just stating why I thought that D-Light was best for me.

Colby

edit for clarification

This was my first year and I had checked out the options and pricing for both.

Sometimes looking at the various threads on PlanetChristmas, I think it is the difference between Coffee and Tea Drinkers :cool:and is really a personal choice.

I would flip through the vendor discussion boards for both here and get a feel for how they both work and how technically involved you want to be in the process.

As a newbie, what clinched it for me was the amount of activity on the Lightorama section of PlanetChristmas. So it felt like there was a big support system if things went wrong.

Now that I have finished my first Christmas with 16 Channels, I would add that they two technical questions that I sent in Mid Dec to Lightorama via email were answered immediately and I had a great experience.

Good Luck!

This was my first year with animation and I purchased 10 LOR boxes and was very happy with them. I have no interest in trying to build my own or having to do anything more then just plug them in and go. I can't say enough about their customer support and from my experiences with them and what I have read I think they go out of their way to make sure every customer is satisfied with their product. I don't know about the other guys but know I plan on buying 6 more LOR units when they have their next sale.

Duane