Synchronized UK Displays

GEoff,

No videos yet, we did a scaled down animation this year, over the course of this coming year i am building 6 LOR controllers to make a total of 112 channels with the 16 i already had.

I will also add 60,000 lights to the display.

There are some pictures of Lindas display on my Gallery listed below... feel free to add some pics and/or videos to the gallery yourself...

Darren

Ive also a tidy little gadget thats splits each of my existing channels 3 times, giving me a total of 224 channels running off 56 without any ampage drop?

I cannot share this info before you ask (without sounding mean), and it is only available here in the uk.

Geoff

boycie wrote:

Is there any others in the uk?

Hi Boycie,

Happy New Year to all.

Here is a link to my modest, 1st year animation attempts.

Much more colour needed for next year I feel, even though ALL of the lights cannot be seen.

What say you guys?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Looks great Martin. Did the LOR controller come with the songs pre-loaded, or did you programme it yourself.

You have made good use with the good old rope light there. I'll look forward to see what your be adding this year.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Darren, Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the votes of confidence ;)

I had some more songs running on different days, just didn't capture those on video. Musical shows with garden speakers + FM transmission every half-hour until around 8-9pm (there are young children living opposite) then just silent lighting.

Darren; Your display is great. I've seen your projector before, where is that from? I tried a small one which B&Q were selling but it was pathetic so I returned it. The setup was 52 channels split over 4 LOR controllers and 1 D-light. Some of the channels were low voltage (24vac) running B&Q LED strings etc.

Geoff; I love all the colour you have in your setup.I would have liked to have used 2 colour ropelight but it is just too expensive over here. The blue LED rope on the porch fascia was great but I don't like the white LED outline of the porch roof....looks bluish on the videos and too sparse. I guess that'll be rope next year. I ran out of clear rope for the roof, hence the blank on the left edge of the roof. The controllers are run by a DC-MP3 player + ELLs and the sequences are either programmed from scratch or modified from others on the 'net.

I intend a more religious aspect next year. I couldn't find any nativity type silhouettes anywhere here, except pretty expensive large stuff. Our house / plotjust isn't big enough for all the things I would like to do :(

Martin,

It depends on which projector, I have 3, all are American, 1 is a snow flurries machine for the front of the house, but this also has other slides for other things like reindeer etc

the others are just moving image projectors again both American.

I have seen a few projectors in the UK market that are ok, but not many!

Great display again, and thanks for your comments.

Darren

Darren,

The projector I liked was the one illuminating what I think is the side of your house. The one with the different moving motifs. The snow flurries I have seen on the 'net. Isn't thatbasically a "disco" mirror-ball and pin-spot? No wait, you mention other slides for that, so I guess not!

Martin

MArtin, yes i have two on the side of the house, the best one is the square image projector...

The flurries is exactly that but it needs slides... projects a shape using the mirror ball, you can have snow, reindeer and other stuff.... depends on the direction the ball spins for the effect you get.

Believe me boys and girls as soon as I can I will be purchasing some lor kit,

Trouble is I don`t quite get how to put it together yet, or how to obtain the other kit IE: small trees, ect ect.

Do I make it myself or is it available commercially?

Bunny:D

Bunny

Im in talks with LOR at the moment, and im setting up a buisness with a partner, which will involve setting up, and installing as well as advising what lights to use with American sycronised kits ect.

One of the main issues that puts the uk buyer off is , What electrics, ampage, wiring ect is involved.

For the normal Joe Public, they just want something that plugs straight in, and not having to sit around with a calculator, and work out what amps they need.

As far as I know, and from experience, there is no one in the uk that supplies this service, and being a qualified electrician and having the experience with the programming ect, will be an advantage with the setting up.

You can however pick up tons of ideas, and info on this site, with enough information to get you going.

Geoff.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Just wondering if you got any joy with lor about doing things from a uk angle,i so want to sort something out this year but it seems just a minefield on where to start!!

I have a "normal"display with inflatables,silhouettes etc but would so love a computer driven display!!!

ANy news?

Cheers,

Marko.

I'm with Marko..I would love to go animated but haven't got a clue about where to start or anything...it would be great if they were available over here..more so as a plug and play kit....for people like me lol.

Hi Marko & Ronda

We visited Darren in Cirencester last weekend who was kind enough to take the time to show us LOR set up. We had no idea until then howLOR would work with 110v lights powered through transformers.

He also explained that there is a 'jumper' on the controller that allows you to control UK lights.

I have just ordered 32 channels hoping that I will have something sequenced for December 2008laughing-smiley-004.gif

Ronda.....

If you go to the LOR site you can download a demo to play around with.

http://www.lightorama.com/products.html

Have fun

Linda

Norfolk England

hi

yes there are some computer controlled christmas light in the uk

i been doing it my self for about 3 years now but last year i did not get the chance as i moved house.

i am running a 48 channel l.o.r and about 80 channel dasher+

as it goes for l.o.r its a good system i had one of the original 8 channel controllers as i did some testing for Dan

i just hopping dan can get the mcp controller up and running this year so i can dim all my 24 volt lights as well.

les m

• 5 weeks later...

boycie wrote:

Im in talks with LOR at the moment, and im setting up a buisness with a partner, which will involve setting up, and installing as well as advising what lights to use with American sycronised kits ect.

Hi Geoff,

Any progress on the above yet? Also, I'm intrigued by your mention of the splitter and I know you said not to ask, but my curiosity has got the better of me. Maybe a PM?

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

lesm wrote:

<snip>

i just hopping dan can get the mcp controller up and running this year so i can dim all my 24 volt lights as well.

les m

Les, if you have 16 channel LOR controllers, do you not run your 24volt lights using split feeds?

Martin

grandad wrote:

lesm wrote:

Les, if you have 16 channel LOR controllers, do you not run your 24volt lights using split feeds?

Martin

hi i am sorry to say you cant use the 16 channel lor controllers is made to power 240 volt lights and from what i have found it does not work to well with 240-24 volt transformers it makes them go with a bang.

i use dasher for my 24 volt, dasher is a on/off system, i like to explain how dans card will work, but until i get them and try them out i am not to sure my self.

just keep a eye on hear and i let you no how its going on.

les m