Just threw away 9600 minis

I was outside trying to take my megatree down and all 96 strands of my minis got all tangled. It was a complete mess because I also used used string to hoist them up the pole when I put it up and they were all tangled also. It took more than 10 minutes to get three strands out and I had 94 more to go. I had a few broken bulbs from trying to untangle them and I quickly figured out that this was not going to be worth it. It was only 20 degrees out and my fingers were freezing. I bought a bunch of lights after Christmas and figured it was cheaper to just throw these ones away and use new ones next year. There was no way I was going to spend 6-8 hours outside in the freezing cold trying to save $90 and then have to repair broken bulbs and bad strings.

It was sad putting them all in the garbage. Next year I need to figure out a better way so I can take them down easily.

Same thing happened to me last Friday with my mega tree. After about 10 minutes, I just gave up and threw the huge pile into the garage. I figure I'll tuck them away somewhere and when it warms up this summer, I'll find a slow day to sit down in my shorts with a case of cold beer and untangle them.

I have gotten a few PMs from people wanting them. The problem is that they were all tangled up around my megatree pole also and I took some wire cutters and started clipping several strings. Somebody is locally to me and wants them so they are now taken.

-Richard

RichardH wrote:

I have gotten a few PMs from people wanting them. The problem is that they were all tangled up around my megatree pole also and I took some wire cutters and started clipping several strings. Somebody is locally to me and wants them so they are now taken.

-Richard

lol, I can see other people were thinking what I was thinking.

One time at the Christmas tree drop off place in my town, someone left on all their lights on their trees. There were a few trees and there seemed to be a flame retardent coating on them, so I think it was a business of some sort. Anyway, I took them all off and brought them home because they were the heavy duty kind. Plus I reasoned that I was doing a service because they only wanted bare trees at the drop off place.

clafournaise wrote:

Uh, I would have done the same thing Richard! I can't believe someone here would be willing to pick through that mess. Fortunately the stores sell mini lights EVERY year! :-)

Key word is "sell". The money saved could be used on something else... Even if they get tossed there are always good parts to salvage such as plugs.

TED

Yeah, I'm not above tossing a string of lights if it gets to tangled or broken, but I always pull off the two ends, and usually keep the bulbs (unless I already have plenty of that color). The male and female ends come in very handy for future projects, such as making wiring harnesses or reparing other strings. Of course, they're only good for about an amp, but often that's all that you need for a dedicated wiring harness...

-Tim

Something similar happend to me. I officially took down all the christmas lights yesterday, as it was a nice day and I had the time. The 12ft not-so-mega-tree needed to come down too, and the way I built it - it was near impossible to remove the lights while the tree was standing upright and the lights were all falling down around it.

So I removed the guy wires, and tipped the thing over - BIG MISTAKE. Everything got tangled pretty quick. I removed all the lights from the pole, and dragged them all (taggled badly) into the house, as not to sit outside and do this.

I started getting the red strings out first (which were from Hobby Lobby, thicker wires), which came out fairly easily actually, then we (my 19 year old son and I) started on the clear (from another manufacture, cant remember who but THIN wires) --- OH MY GOD! What a nightmare. I told him forget it, toss them out - we'll use new lights and a better design next year - He said NO. We're not doing anything that great anyway, so he sat there on the carpet and untangled them all (the clears, I helped with the red). He has more patience that I do - I was ready to give up in about 5 minutes.. and I did. (in all fairness I only had around 2800 lights in mine though)

Next year, I'll space them a little further apart and use some kid of a hoist system to attach them to real hooks at ground level, hoist them up, and then afterwards to pull it all down, I'll be able to lower the "top" with the hooks, remove the lights 1 strand at a time and put it all away. You have to make the mistake to learn from it I guess.

Sorry to hear about nearly 10k lights getting the boot... but I completely understand! :laughing:

I'd never trash even 1 set of lights (even the mere thought

of throwing out a lightset sad sad thought...poor little

things :( )

no matter how damaged or tangled they got i'd keep 'em:

If it just had some broken wires/bulbs/etc, it'd be added

to the 'needs repair' pile

If it badly damaged & not easily repairable, it'd go in

the 'parts' box

If all the bulbs blew...then its 'convert to LEDs'

if just tangled they'd eventually get untangled