City Hall doesn't appreciate my lights

My lights are on:smile: ... have some "glitches" that I am sure to be spending the next 24 hours on but nothing major. I guess that is what happens when you try to take your own show move it a couple of miles away and then keep your fingers crossed. Not many cars but, I didn't expect many this early - I will also be putting up a sign in my front yard with a spot on it that reads "Thanks to the city of Vaudreuil and our neighbors, the Christmas Light Show has been moved to ..." I am hoping that will also help get the word out.

Thanks again to all of you for your support - there have been many nights I have wondered if I am crazy - thankfully there is a place for us "crazy" people to hang out.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peggy13 wrote:

I think I have heard it all!

For what reason cant these people have a nice Christmas display, and raise money for a much needed charity?

Have you ever thought of what some people go through during the holiday season? This is a very depressing time for many single people and families as well. To be able to see a nice light show is able to take the worries away from them for just a moment and be able to maybe reflect back to better times and fun memories. Have you thought about all the children and elderly people that look forward to creating new memories just by doing something simple by going for a ride to enjoy the fruits of someone elses hard labor and spending quality family time together?

Isnt this time of year suppose to be for sharing and caring and helping out those that are less fortunate than others? Are the Johnsons causing any harm by wanting to do this for their community?

I would think you would be proud to know you have someone in your community that is willing to do this not for themselves but for many many others that can benefit from it.

I hope you put some serious thoughts into this matter and let them once again have their lights at their residence and not the next town over!

Thank you

Peggy Sterling

Here is the response I got from them. Hmmmm How did they get Mrs Baxter out of Peggy Sterling? Yes I did put my town down also, but for a Mayor I think he better go back to school and learn proper grammar.

Mrs. Baxter,

I am please to see some interest of our town from Minnesota's people. The problem is that you have only one side of the story and of course, it's presented by Mr. Johnson:we are bad people who don't want to give money to young children. Do you really think there is one person in our city who don't want good for kids?

If you want, I will send you a petition ofalmostall the resident of this area which asking us to proceed in prevent show like that on their neighbourhood. Check the publicity about that show and ask youself a few questions about it.

Sincerely,

The Mayor,

Guy Pilon

Mrs. Baxter,

I am please to see some interest of our town from Minnesota's people. The problem is that you have only one side of the story and of course, it's presented by Mr. Johnson:we are bad people who don't want to give money to young children. Do you really think there is one person in our city who don't want good for kids?

If you want, I will send you a petition ofalmostall the resident of this area which asking us to proceed in prevent show like that on their neighbourhood. Check the publicity about that show and ask youself a few questions about it.

Sincerely,

The Mayor,

Guy Pilon

What a ******

Scott

Here is one more response - I made up an account to see what the mayor would say.

Mr. Justine,

I would like to thank you for your comments. First, there is no regulation on the number of lights which can be install for Christmas, but we have regulation to protect the quietness of the citizens. In your e-mail, you say that the cars can be up to 660 ft from the site to be able to hear the music. Imagine what that mean for the neighbors : hundred of cars in a residential area leading to two deadends. I think you can understand specially if those cars, as you said, come from the West-Island or Montreal. These people don't know the streets so they turn on private drive-way to go back at the site or to leave the place.

For your last point about the smile of the children, I think there plenty of way for them to smile about Christmas without going there.

Sincerely,

The Mayor,

Guy Pilon

[align=left]
Dear Mayor Guy Pilon and City Council of Vaudreuil-Dorion,
[/align]

I am writing you concerning two letters sent to the Johnson Family declining their request to have a Christmas display at their home to raise money for the Montreal Children’s Hospital.

In the letter it was stated that the Christmas lights would be deemed excessive, how could spreading holiday cheer be excessive? Also, I wonder how many other displays are deemed “excessive” during the holiday season within your city? Does your city provide its citizens a set limit of lights that can be placed on a house, depending on the size of house, that they can follow or is this an arbitrary decision made without actually seeing the display.

It was also stated that noise could be an issue, the Johnsons use a Ramsey FM transmitter that only has a range of 330 to 660 feet from their home. These same transmitters are used in fitness clubs or in homes to transmit from the computer to a stereo within the house. The show was also only to run until 9pm, your city allows for “noise” until 11pm.

The last contention was for a parade of traffic that the show may cause. I was surprised that a city council would not want this traffic to be coming to their city. Last year, about 40% of the visitors they had were from the West Island or Montreal, one would assume that the city council would want the business from these people.

Finally, I think that the city council may want to consider the real reason behind the display, the smiles on a children’s faces (a few parents too), to give the community a chance to remember that this a season for giving and that some children could really use the funds raised from this show. I feel that the city should reconsider their decision and support such a young and caring family that has invested so much of their time and money in hopes of making the season special for all.

Bob Justine

OMG I cant believe he had the you know what to make that comment aboutthe children. I am going to get a pic of the towns next to me Mayors house. You cant find anything in his yard he has so many lights up.

For your last point about the smile of the children, I think there plenty of way for them to smile about Christmas without going there.

Sincerely,

The Mayor,

Guy Pilon

I can not get over this mayor - I remember about a year back that there was rumors we were getting a dreaded Walmart in our fair city - he was quoted in the local paper that he would not allow a "big box" store like that come into our city - what do you know - we now have the biggest Walmart in the whole province in our city. I swear this guy doesn't know which way is up

I will have to give him a break on his English though because French is the first language here and you at least got a response in English. My friend sent an e-mail in English stating that he wanted to put up a bunch of lights and lived in our city and was worried that he too would face fines/litigation. His response from the mayor was in French. Loosely translated in that one - he says that we are a special case because we put up so many lights and that we have it on our company website. I think we are pretty clear that this light show has nothing to do with our business and is done by our family. He says that because we get publicity that it is bad and that because my company's office isin my home - we are promoting the business. Please keep in mind that I have no signon the propertysaying my company's name - also, I would like to see him transport my soon to be 3 children under the age of 5 to an office each day to answer the phone and get all the bookkeeping done (I doat least half of my office work atnight once the kids are asleep). Let alone, I have a permit to house the officeof the company here and if it weren't for my neighbor, nobody would even know that there is anything other than a family living here.

Enough venting for one day - don't want to send myself into labor - only5 more days for baby #3 - I guess we should finally pick a name. (I can tell you it will not be Guy)

How about something like the "Anti-Guy?"

I'm so sorry they can not see the forest for the trees but what can you expect from politicians...

I hope you have a safe and relatively easy labor. Hopefully the weather will not be bad. Just send the snow down here to North Carolina.

Oh - good news! I saw the first flakes of snow (with sleet) today. That's BEFORE Christmas, kind of rare here. Perhaps God will bless us with a White Christmas. If not, I'll be out working on my railroad. :]

Edit - got to check my spelling...

Well this holiday season we have definitely been blessed with the gift of snow - last year our first snow fall was Dec. 26th - so far this year I have at least 2 feet of snow. Which means my mini trees looked very mini until yesterday when I dug them all out. I have no idea how I am going to get any of this stuff out of my in-laws yard post christmas but I will let the boys (my husband and father in-law) take care of that - this new little may turn out to be a blessing in many different ways.

I just had to sit here and read over EVER post in this thread. I'm amazed. I can sympathize with a neighbor not wanting traffic (but that's it). This one has issues. Major issues! As for the city and the mayor, I'd like to say a few things, but I'd probably be labeled as "One of those rude Americans".

I'm glad you at least were able to do it somewhere. I think I'll start going by the motto: "If you can't put up Christmas lights, then the terrorists have already won".

Merry Christmas and congrats on your new addition.

Not sure if your mayor is elected butI think He will need more than the 31 persons whom allegedly signed the anti-lights petition to get re-elected

I guess that is the best part in being in democratic society we get to vote to change things that are not right ;)

Hope you have a Merry Chistmas