Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
snowlovergeorgia

Does anyone know whose lights these are?

Nice Job !!!!! Love those mini tree's. That mega tree star looks real familiar..It looks like Mike Z's star.. is it a replica???

On Dougs site he wrote "The mega-tree star was hand made with coroplast. Using a computer to create the star template each section was cut to precision and glued by hand. The star is packed with 140 twinkling lights."

I am wondering if there is a program out there that does this or you just need to be a design wiz?? I will even buy the program if someone knows what it may be, just to do a coroplast star.:cool:

Thank you everyone for the fine complements...

As a first year newbie, I wanted to come out with a bang and do the best possible display I could do with a small yard. And with a lot of creativity and time, I think I accomplished my goal. It goes to show that any newbie can achieve that great first year display. Remember to try to be thoughtful to detail, be creative, don't give up and ask plenty of questions. The PlanetChristmas chatroom is a huge resource for information.

My mini tree sequences came from a culmination of many sequences that I had made. With a little ingenuity, I laid out the sequence for the mini trees by themselves, apart from the main sequence. I guess you could say it is a sequence within a sequence. I knew that viewers of my display would be concentrating on the mini trees since the trees are close to the street and they would stand out the most.

And yes, the mega tree star is a replica to Mike Z's star. I contacted Mike and asked how could I construct the same star. He had no written instructions nor templates but provided me with pictures and some basic information on how to make it. With his approval, I began the painstaking process of creating the same star.

I've tried to document and photograph as much as I could during my entire first year of building the display. I knew that the information would be a great resource for anyone who is starting out and would have questions just as I did last year. Most of this information can be viewed at my website, http://dhall.us.

Hi,

Just wanted to add my "Excellent work " comment about your display,I to are a first year newbie and just like you had to have all lines straight etc so I know where your coming from,again well done

Kenny Hewson

Lemon Tree Passage

Australia

I too would like to complement Doug's work. These videos are a pleasure to watch and are a training video on making mini trees play with music!

Glenn

Doug,

a quick question. How do you get all your extension cords out of the garage? I believe I read you keep all controllers in the garage for theft reasons... so how do you get them all out?

Thx

I've seen Doug's display in person, and boy whatanexcellent job he did.he also has little bits of intro's between songs that his children talk about different things about the display, and website.Great Job, 2 thumbs upto Doug.

Jason Jimenez

I had my10 mini's in a pyramid this year, but had already planned on doing a long row next year with 16 mini's in two colors. Doug's display has given me some great ideas on what kind of different patterns you can do. Awesume job there Doug!!! I also like the idea of them not being in exactly a straight line, just adds a little more effect I think.

James

To answer your questions:

detroitdr- Thats a very good question... I thought about this all year long, how was I going to get 56 extension cords (since I have 56 channels) into my garage without cutting any holes in the wall? So I came up with the idea to lay the cords as flat as possible and zip tie each cord tightly together. As the picture shows below, this can lead to a extension cord nightmare. That extension cord blob became a huge rats nest of cords and attracted every leaf within a 10 yard radius.This year, I'm going to add another 16 channels so I'm planning to putall of my controllers into a secured metal box and place the box outside.

snowlovergeorgia - I haven't forgot about you!

Jason - Thanks for the complement, your a cool guy. But my display doesn't compare to yours. This display was so big that it was featured on HGTV's special, "Whats With That Christmas House?". I hope you don't plan on moving anytime soon!

bkdraft - I'm gladmy display has given you some mini tree ideas. As you can tell from my videos, mini tree movement with a "W" shape line gives you many more pattern effects.

Ifanyone has any questions that I can answer to help with your display, please feel free to ask.

Good Luck!

garcords.jpg

Doug - Great Job!

Wonderful web site and you really have a knack for making those minis dance!

I would be interested in seeing how you achieved some of those mini effects.

Thanks!

Oh and thanks to snowlover for bringing this to our attention!

I lovedDoug's mini trees.......I was thinking grander for my 2007 display, but when i saw Dougs videos...I realized i didnt have to buy all kinds of expensive wire frames to getthe wow effect. I only has 5 mini trees for 2006...but i will have 16 this year.

That's awesome, and only 56 channels!!

I really like the blue

Gives me hope that I may be able to do something 1/2 way decent this year :)

Doug, wow, those are great sequences. So snowlovergeorgia opened pandora's box. Inquiring minds want to know,........:shock: