The speed of change...

Bill Gates said the following:

“We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself be lulled into inaction.”

As strange as it sounds, he might be right. Wonder where light displays will be in 2017?

Assuming that local municipalities do not outlaw them for any weird reason, I could see the market taking off.

Lets reflect back on the past 10 years. in 1996 there was very little way fora non-electrical engineer to computerize or operate their lights. Today, there are several systems available which are labor intensive.

Projection: Look for more innovations in Computerized controls. I think that the market will move to packages in a box; where you plug them in and they start to play.

Lights: LEDs are the wave of the future and are not going to go away anytime soon. Energy conservation will move the market away from incandescent lighting (imo).

Projection: More technology in a light bulb for static displays that will have multiple capabilities (color changes, fades, flash,...)

Decorations: Inflatables were not around 10 years ago. I think it is pretty awesome that they have taken off the way that they have.

Projection: Look for innovations in other areas of decorations. More animated, moving, changing combinations and technologies will be available that we can only imagine.

csmith wrote:

Bill Gates said the following:

“We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten. Don't let yourself be lulled into inaction.”

As strange as it sounds, he might be right. Wonder where light displays will be in 2017?

The Mayan calendar ends in 2012. Some folks expect massive Earth changes in weather, world politics, or spiritual awareness. Others expect "end times" prohpecys or even the end of the world (at least as we know it). One thing is certain. There will be things going on in 2017 that none of us has considered or even though of. If we still have homes and electricity then I thinkthere will still be light displays. Who know what amazing things there will be in those displays? I bet it willbe colorful!

TED

TED wrote:

The Mayan calendar ends in 2012. Some folks expect massive Earth changes in weather, world politics, or spiritual awareness. Others expect "end times" prohpecys or even the end of the world (at least as we know it)......

TED

Wemay alsokeep in mindthe known"very close encounter" event of433 Eros, the gigantic asteroid/planetoid,which willoccurin January of 2012.

Hmmmmmm ... inspires all sorts of newsequencing possibilitiesfor 2011.I don't think I'll start planning for 2017 -- yet.

Callie aka Snow`Star

TED wrote:

csmith wrote:

The Mayan calendar ends in 2012. Some folks expect massive Earth changes in weather, world politics, or spiritual awareness. Others expect "end times" prohpecys or even the end of the world (at least as we know it). One thing is certain. There will be things going on in 2017 that none of us has considered or even though of. If we still have homes and electricity then I thinkthere will still be light displays. Who know what amazing things there will be in those displays? I bet it willbe colorful!

TED

It is said to end December 23, 2012

The Mayan Calendar ends on the Winter Solstice. It will be the day that the universe is aligned. This is how they came to the end of their time scale.

The interesting thing about the culture is that they predicted cycles of cataclysmic events up through 2012. Unfortunately, when the Spaniard priests were converting the Mayans from their pagan ways, they burned many of the Mayan books. Only 4 remained unburned. Of these four, one of them was the calendar that ends in 2012.

saw it on the History Channel (or one of those cable channels a few weeks ago)

In 2017 I'll be in the Carolinas watchingnature's greatest light show,a total solar eclipse. If you have never seen a total solar eclipse, it is well worth the trip and is much better than even a 99% eclipse.

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/TSE2017google.html

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/eclipse.html

Glenn

Richard III wrote:

TED wrote:

It is said to end December 23, 2012

I seem to remember hearing (when I was a young kid) that Nostra Damas predicted the end of the world for April 15, 1999. I thought I'd be smart and NOT file taxes that year - you know...just in case.

...You can guess how that worked out for me. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Incandescent displays are outlawed, only LEDs. Power consumption is monitored and rationed. Permits are available for displays, but only for the week before Christmas. It really is 1984!!!???

Celebrations outside are now video and semiconductor based. While traveling with your 1 Gig IPOD, you view the representation of a display when it is plugged into the heads up display on your 600 mpg automobile. The sound is inside your head and the video is mind-boggling.