LED Rope Lights

Yes I E-Mailed CB Concepts to see if thay would sell without the controllers. Thay are the only one that had the tri color, any more vendorsout thare? AI

OK. CBC got back to me and said thay would take $20 off if I did not want the controllers. That will come out to about $180 for 60 feet. :)

Has anybody else seen any other vendors for these LED rope lights?? AI

Thanks for the tip. Thay have better intro deals so I can try it befor I buy mass qunitys of rope light. CB Concepts is at $3.58 per foot for 60 feet with controller whare "mengmengusainc" tri color chasing is starting at $2.33 per foot for 30 foot. I will try them. AI

HINT HINT they are trying to get rid of there stock to prepare for new stock so if you end up buying a large quantity email them you can beatem up a little on the price but sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh keep that hush hush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lololololol

Guest lonewolvie

What type of controller were you going to use? I trieda current L O R controller with rectifier diodes and it did not work with these LED rope lights. The LED rope lights use "positive ground" instead of "negative ground". Also the controller that was included with my CBC ropelight is a four channel converted into a three channel. When the lights sequence, there is a dead channel.

I am waiting for L O R to introducetheir low voltage controller "MC-P" unit, this way I can build a custom opto SCRSSR with three channels to deal with the positive ground issue.

gsxr7500; Thanks for the second tip, don't worry mums the word.

lonewolvie; Sounds like you have been down the same road I am going. Did you try full wave rectificatoin for the seperate channels?? Should not matter common neg or common positive to the LOR controler. AI

Got my rope light today from Meng boy am I bumed. :{I thouht it would it would alternate colors every other one, but no its three of color, three of the next, and then three of the last color. :XSo the colors are to far apart for color blending. Cry!!! I will e-mail both vendors on ebay to see if thay are all like this. AI

Once again you dont need DC to control your LED strings!! The newer strings already have full wave rectification and should work fine directily off an AC controller. If thay do not you can add a full wave bridge rectifier in series with the line cord and thay will work to. AI

Because of the bulb spacing in the Meng tricolor LED rope light it will not blend well and will not work for what a want. The only other offering thay had was a 4 color but it has only three wires witch means two colors come on at the same time. This will not work either. Anybody want to buy a tricolor LED rope light?

CBconcept Creative Lighting, Has what I think is a flat rope light with the RED and blue right next to each other and then a Green. This would be the best layout for making purple. I am still waiting for a close up pic from them befor I buy. AI

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lonewolvie

I am sorry that I have not responded to this forum for awhile.

I tried full wave rectification on each channel for the flat LED ropelight. This failed, LED ropelights use positive ground instead of negative ground. Two or more channels lit up when one channel was to light. Several attempts and 1 amp fuses later, I found that whatever I did was not going to work. The flat LED ropelight is in a box somewhere.

What does work is full wave rectification with a RGB LED chaser light string. The thing is I had to run a seperate wire through the string thus turning each channel into a separate channel, then full wave rectification works( each channel w/ LOR). As for the multi channel ropelights, a different control system is needed, similar to what is used with the included controller.

The solution to this would be the MC-P low voltage controller, opto isolators, SCR's, afull wave bridge,and a power system that is wired for DC positive ground. I cannot figure out as to why there is such a holdup on the LOR product?These weresupposed to be available last year and it just gets pushed off to another time.:(

Lonewolvie; Sorry to here you could not get it working ! It should work but I have not tryed it yet. Need more money to buy the rope light, it ant cheep:(

lonewolvie wrote:

The solution to this would be the MC-P low voltage controller, opto isolators, SCR's, afull wave bridge,and a power system that is wired for DC positive ground.

This sounds like what you have the CB16 is the opto and SCRs then you added a FW Bridge.

I will let you know when I get to try it. AI

Guest lonewolvie

I have a CTB08 and a CTB16 still in the box. I tried a FW bridge after the controller on three channels, the problem arises with the positive grounding of theChinesemade LED ropelight. I don't know why these are designed this way. The entire ropelight and wiresremain energized until the switching box lights that circuit by 'grounding' it. As far as I am concerned, this is- - backwards.

Guest lonewolvie

They have various colored LED ropelight, the individual colors are not controllable. That is a good place for single colored LED ropelight in differerent voltages. Sorry about that.

lonewolvie wrote:

They have various colored LED ropelight, the individual colors are not controllable. That is a good place for single colored LED ropelight in differerent voltages. Sorry about that.

Thanks anyway AI

OK Lonewolvie; I am begining to understand the problem with the tri color light strings from CBC. It seems the fact that the LOR controller has a common return on the AC side and the rope lights use a common Hot or supply ( Lets not use positive ground, that was only for VWs and is confusing) on the DC side. That even if we use a FW bridge between the two there is still a mismatch in commons preventing the proper control of the strings in the rope light.

I would have hoped, thought, assumedthe FWB would have isolated enough the two commons but apparently not. Witch means even with the DC controller you may have problems if it has a common hot side.

The reason I think for the commonpositive or High sides is it is cheaper to get components to switch thenegative or low side than to switch the high side or positive. So to make the rope lights work with the low side switching controllersthey had to wire the positive high side common to all three colors. This is why you may have problems with the DC controllers. We should ask Dan about the new controllers.

I will have to think some more about this they should be a way to isolate the two commons like a Isolation transformer but triac's do not like powering transformers or may be a random phase SSR.

Since I can not afford a roll of this rope lighting right now, would you be willing to send me a sample so I can start testing right away.