I'm in China right now. Spent Saturday at the LED factory. They are building a new factory and it should be completed by the end of the month. In the mean time they are working on my (and your) order. The good news is they will finish the order 30 days early. Instead of mid May, you will be getting your LED mini lights towards the end of April. The C-7 and C-9 replacements still will be the end of May or first of June. I will be traveling for the next two days so don't expect to hear back from me if PM me. Thanks again,

It is really neat that we know our lights are being made as we speak. It would be cool if he has taken pics of the process and posts them when he gets back. I thought I remember reading awhile ago that the orders wouldnt be in until sometime in June. Now I need to find room for them even earlier. Oh well!

Have a nice trip Paul

I remember for awhile the Saturn factory would let you go and pick up your new car from the factory and watch it (at least partially) get built. Wouldn't it be cool if we could fly to China and watch our LED"s get built?

:)

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

I remember for awhile the Saturn factory would let you go and pick up your new car from the factory and watch it (at least partially) get built. Wouldn't it be cool if we could fly to China and watch our LED"s get built?

-Tim

I wish I got in on that. I was waiting on an income tax return that only showed up today. IN the meantime I anxiously jumped onto a web page where I had been watching prices of LED's planning to replace every red light in the display with red LED's - talking about 40 cases and curiously the price doubled. The web site I was watching was pretty much the cheapest thing next to this guy's deal. Now I am debating rather its worth it. The red LED's are not all that much more impressive then traditional reds as much as the BLUE LED's are waaay better then traditional blues. Blue is actually the only incandescent bulb I am not happy with and would prefer to replace with LED however BLUE LEDS are among the most expensive.

Add to this, I had some philips LED's and I left some on the trees until last week, I only purchased the LED's in December 20 and got 10 days useage out of them. Now all the ones left out "dont work". They have replacable bulbs so I traced the bad one, well it seems instead of copper connectors, these bulbs have "tin" and they "rust badly". I have a good replacement bulb but the socket also uses "tin" and it coroded beyond repair. Seeing my experience with LED, at least the philips type with replaceable sockets, I am not much into spending thousands on LED's if they are so likely to corrode their connections and quit working after a little bit of rain exposure. To be honest, I might consider abandoning the idea of replacing my lights with leds and just take it easy only using them when absolutely necessary (getting greater usage out of overloaded circuits).

I decided actually instead of using income tax money on LED's I went and spend $700 on an 18 amp isolation transformers for my christmas light circuits. The isolation transformers are sold mostly to hospitalsor other venues mostly medical use where you need protection from shock but GFCI's tripping on medical equipment could be just as life threatening.

I Wired one into the breaker boxtoday and couldnt wait to test it. At first I took a live hot 110 line and with a voltage meter, tried to read the current from the 110 volts and a 14 ft grounding rod for my broadcast antenna. No current flow at all. Then for the ultimate test, I touched the 110 hot (but not neutral or ground) with my bare hands, no zap, no voltage flow into my body! It works! I think it might be very possible to run lights on raining nights safely and not have any GFCI trips at all, even if water makes direct connections between electricity and the ground. I will continue to use the GFCI's but under the isolation transformer, the A/C current does not complete a circuit with the earthen ground, it only does with the neutral/ground that is part of the isolation circuit.

tfischer wrote:

-Tim

I don't know if they still do it, but the Corvette factory in Kentucky used to do this, and the buyer got to be the first oneto start their car on the assembly line. Wish I had $$ to buy a vette....:(

I love watching things being made in factories, one of my favorite TVprograms is "How's it Made?". Did the Harley factory tour in Penn, that was fun.

Joseph Ayo wrote:

To be honest, I might consider abandoning the idea of replacing my lights with leds and just take it easy only using them when absolutely necessary (getting greater usage out of overloaded circuits).

Every year that you wait will be money saved assuming prices continue to fall. Paul has said that he will have some extras from the bulk order that he had to buy in order to meet quantity requirements of specific colors so there will be some for sale after the order comes in.

TED

TED wrote:

Joseph Ayo wrote:

Every year that you wait will be money saved assuming prices continue to fall. Paul has said that he will have some extras from the bulk order that he had to buy in order to meet quantity requirements of specific colors so there will be some for sale after the order comes in.

TED

Well more then anything, I am still in the market but I am downsizing my LED plans because of the terrible performance I recently noticed with these philips brand LED lights I got from Walmart and Target this past year. I also got another brand from Lowes and it is a non-replacable bulbs and sure enough, half the string is flickering badly - string is shot. Before I buy a large quantity of LED's I want to know which brand is proven to actually last year after year. Not talking about lights tested in a dry laboratory, I want to see those that truely last in real world conditions. Being left out in the climate and rain, etc. I install lights starting October 15 and they stay up on average until January 1 to 2nd. I dont want to find most of the lights cant make it thru a single season without corroding.

I mean its bad when 100% of the philips brand left out for 2 months are shot. And only one "other" brand commercial LED lights with bulbs that cannot be replaced is shot too.

To be fair, I believe the problem I had with the philips brand which when bulbs are removed from socket, they are obviously orange "rusted" on the bulb itself and the contacts in the socket. I believe if I electrified the lights regularly, they might not have rusted (the action of electro-galvanization),but on the other hand I am actually glad I was lazy with these LED lights and left them out to weather. I wouldnt have otherwise done this but I was confident these lights were indestructable but obviously they are not and have actually a worst failure rate then traditional incandescent bulbs if you leave them out.

Joseph,

If you can buy Paul's LEDs I think you will be more than pleased. After a full season of with these lights, I had no failures with the lights I purchased from Paul (C6 fullwave LEDs).

Even after leaving them up till just this weekend (when the weather finally broke) they were still working. I suppose next season will be the true test, but so far, so good!

T.

Tom B. wrote:

Joseph,

If you can buy Paul's LEDs I think you will be more than pleased. After a full season of with these lights, I had no failures with the lights I purchased from Paul (C6 fullwave LEDs).

Even after leaving them up till just this weekend (when the weather finally broke) they were still working. I suppose next season will be the true test, but so far, so good!

You know what, could you do us all a favor and take one of those light strings that sat out until last weekend and sacrifice it and put it back on a tree outside, or better yet, leave them laying on the ground for a few more months and give them monthly power ons and give us updates?

I planned to install LED lights high into trees and leave them for years ready to plug in each Christmas, but I dont want to spend thousands to have actually better performance out of standard $1.99 walmart incandescents (we did this with some trees and one tree still lights up all the way to the top withonly 1 small section bad after 6 years of doing this). I am sure I am not the only one considering using lift bucket and installing long term leave up for several years lights in the trees.

What sort of update do you need to feel confident? Reading this thread, I remembered that I had a strand that's been outside since November. I went out and retrieved it, and its still working fine, every bulb. I've put it back outside for the good of the cause, but how long do you want them out there for?

"I don't know if they still do it, but the Corvette factory in Kentucky used to do this, and the buyer got to be the first oneto start their car on the assembly line. Wish I had $$ to buy a vette....:("

skibozo-

Yes, they still allow you to tour the factory where they build Corvette's. They have recently instituted a new event where you can actually watch them build your ordered car start to finish and be the first to start it ever. Wife and I got married in the Corvette Museum while taking delivery of our 2001 Convertible. We went back in Jan 2006 to take delivery of our new toy a C6 Z06. We now track that one at VIR and Kershaw. My alias might explain some things... :D

Back to the topic at hand...

Paul, thank you very much for taking the time to make this offer available to PC members. My wife is really looking forward to her Mega Tree that I am going to build with those lights.Hopefully you will get some vacation time while you are there...:D

Fun Stuff, Cliff

Guest Jeff_Womack

I have about 30 sets of Forever Bright brand 35 count multis that I have had for four seasons. Most of the time they are left outside under a tree in the back yard. These have sealed bulbs and as right now, I have not had a single bulb failure in four years and very little if any noticable fading.

Jeff

paul sessel wrote:

Actually, that was last years pricing. The price will be a little cheaper this year. I haven't got that far yet to give you the new pricing though.

On the link provided it says come in boxes of 50. This price is per case, correct. how many bulbs on a string? Thanks

Jeff_Womack wrote:

I have about 30 sets of Forever Bright brand 35 count multis that I have had for four seasons. Most of the time they are left outside under a tree in the back yard. These have sealed bulbs and as right now, I have not had a single bulb failure in four years and very little if any noticable fading.

Jeff

OK anyone have good multiyear success with the less then commercial grade from paul? Like with a higher count - 70 to 100 light strings? I am starting the reason, if they are completely sealed, probably OK. I am thinking maybe more in terms, if you can buy it locally in the store, they are probably garbage...

I just dont want to deal with boxed transformers, and things that might be incompatible with dimming and animation. Are these plug and play in the format just like traditional lights? Any word on less then commercial versions or is it the truely reliable last 10 years type lights are going to be mostly the commercial grades?

Joseph Ayo wrote:

OK anyone have good multiyear success with the less then commercial grade from paul? Like with a higher count - 70 to 100 light strings? I am starting the reason, if they are completely sealed, probably OK. I am thinking maybe more in terms, if you can buy it locally in the store, they are probably garbage...

I just dont want to deal with boxed transformers, and things that might be incompatible with dimming and animation. Are these plug and play in the format just like traditional lights? Any word on less then commercial versions or is it the truely reliable last 10 years type lights are going to be mostly the commercial grades?

A) Paul advertises these as "professional grade" - I'm not sure what your definition is vs. his, I just wanted to clarify.

B) The lights that he's selling this year and last year weren't available prior toJuly 2006, at least not through Paul. So you're only going to hear about how they stand up through one season here. Only time will tell as to the longevity, but the fact that they're all still working (and not fading!) while other brandshave faded or become corroded and stopped working already, should make you feel better.

Finally, I dug this up on the Creative Displays "Terms & Conditions" page:

LIMITED WARRANTY & RESPONSIBILITY:

Creative Displays™, Inc. Warrants to the original buyer that its’ commercial grade perimeter light strings will be free from defects in material and workmanship for five Christmas seasons. Lamps, mini lights, installation supplies and cord spools will come with a 90-day warranty when excessive amounts fail. This protection is extended to the original buyer under normal conditions of use and service from the original date of purchase.

The LED lights are sold as "pro-grade" which I'm equating with "commercial grade" here, meaning they should be warranteed for 5 years.

OK I'll get with Paul and make a decision how far I want to get into LED's then. I might want to do the commercial lights but the idea is to install up to 40 ft into oak trees and leave them there for several years provided they are compatible with dimming circuits.

I also saw where one person tested the notorious Philips lights, upon purchase he removed each bulb and sprayed a protective layer of non-conductive oil similar to what you use with underground phone wire splices (like WD40 but lasts longer) and so far no corrosion after leaving out to weather for months so maybe this is an option as well?

BTW, commercial lights tend to come in 25 to 35 foot stretches, non-commercial version come in 70 to 100 light strings. Maybe my problem is bite the bullet and get superior commercial strings, they cost more and more headaches using 12 ft sections of strings instead of the 23 to 40 ft non-commercial ones. The biggest thing most of the commercial ones come with boxed (on edison plug) transformers and I have had bad experience with these burning up in a matter of hours of being dimmed or flashed. Any word on if these commercial strings come with thesetype transformers and do they hold up under dimming/animating use like Zenar diode based transformer used on chasing lights seem to hold up very well under these conditions.

Paulslights do not have transformers - they plug straight into the outlet like regular lights. I can vouch for their dimmability (multis look pretty awesomedimming downfrom 100% to 20% and back up). Although he can get them in 35, 50, 70, or 100 light lengths, the ones heorders in bulkare the 50 light, 17.5 foot strings (although he has stated before that he can do large custom orders).