Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
logan_moore

Non Lethal way to shoot vandals

Check your local laws or whatever lol, but me and some of my buddies just bought some of the Crosman soft air pistols, they have battery powered, Co2, and then spring loaded ones, we bought the spring loaded ones and they leave nice welps at about 40 feet, they have rifles and other stuff, just an idea for those of you having problems.

Warning could very easily poke an eye out or if hit in the face could cause problems. These do shoot pretty hard.

I just think when you have to arm yourself to have a Christmas display, it is time to move the display indoors if you can't accept the vandalism. Taking up defending the display cansure get a guy into trouble, not to mention what it says about the "Christmas spirit."

I am by no means putting down your suggestion, rather I am just saying that all that vandalhas to claim is that they were chasing their dog and you shot them, and then the wrong person is in trouble, criminal or otherwise. Remember they can sue you no matter whether you are into any criminal trouble or not, and they will. The kind of people who do these kinds of bad acts are often experts at making up cover stories and finding ways to get all they can from the good person.

My neighbor who was pulling the vandalism here and threatened to kill me when caught seemed like a raving lunatic, but when the police came he should have gotten an Oscar for playing the upstanding "family man." Luckily I did nothing to him, because by the time the authorities left I was feeling like a guilty party!

It turned from a simple "I caught him vandalizing" into a case where the cops were painting it as some kind of ongoing feud and they returned to harass me later. I had never seen this neighbor before and still do not know his name.

I will say it again - no regular decent person has any business confonting criminals out in their yard in the middle of the night! A person cornered and caught in the act may kill you. Do not assume they are kids. They could be junkies looking for something to pawn. People like me who are not trained in dealing withsuspects had best call the police. They won't get there on time, of course, but it's all you can do! Better yet, don't involve them either. Just accept vandals or move it inside. Anything else is going to be trouble, one way or another.

Nice to see another WV here.

First, I think you should defend your display. I am a strong advocate of gun rights. Howver, using what you suggest is not worth much. Rather I suggest that if you think you are going to see them good enough to shoot them with a rubber anything. Then you just walk down and have a very serious discussion with them. Right after you call the cops of course. Another method I would like to suggest is bells. If you use wireframes or blowmolds attach bells to them. If they are not stealing just damaging items them take some fishing line and tie bells to them. Hang the line about 3" off the ground so they can get tangled.

Also, do not forget cameras and signs posting you have cameras.

I have a good collection of guns too, but it is not going to hold water to shoot someone over the Christmas display, and confronting them with an airsoft gun does not seem wise. It sounds like a good idea to guard it but out there in the middle of the night, it could go wrong very quickly, and it is not worth ruining your life over.

Glenn makes the point clear. Now the law side of it. Intent to cause bodily harm wether with a closed fist, knife, trip wire, air pistol or any other object that can be used as a weapon is against the law and you will lose your case in court. If you see someone damaging your display, call the police. Helpful information like description of the subject (clothes, height, etc) will help alot. Defending what is yours-is your right. Harming others is against the law.

Leave it to the police to solve the problem.

Just my 2 cents, but if you don't shoot them (Even in Texas this may be hard to defend in court). What about a loud Air Siren or Horn that would cause temporary deafness. You may not want to have it set up to a motion sensor since the neighbor cat or dog roaming may set it off in the middle of the night. I doubt a thief is going to try to sue you for that since now you may also wake up the entire block when you do it. It also may make him think twice about coming back. I guess any good lawyer can make you look like the bad guy, but hopefully the jury would see through the BS. I think you need to have a video of that. It would be quite funny to watch and you may even be able to get some money from one of those Americas stupidest criminals shows.

Have you all forgotten that you have 110v AC running through your display? It seems to me that this would be enough to deter any would be vandal.

If you feel that the display is just too easy a target then I'm sure you can 'rig'it so that anyone that touches it when the power is on will get a nice surprise!

And for those of you that already do this, please do the rest of us a favor and hang a camera outside so we can all get a laugh watching the unsuspecting vandal light up with the rest of the lights!

Jeff, I hope you're kidding.

What do you do when the neighor's dog, or even someone's kid, gets out and accidently brushes against a display?

Come on folks-- this is CHRISTMAS. You don't harm people over a Christmas display. Set up cameras, set up motion detectors that wake you up in the house, open the window and scream at them and 99% of the time they'll go away. You don't need to kill someone over a $30 inflatable or even a $200 blowmold.

-Tim

Tim,

Never said we need to kill anyone. In fact I don't think any weapon of any type. Or any toy should leave the house. I just think that once the cops are called it would not be a bad thing to go outside when you yell so you can get that license plate number. If they have damaged something then you get them. If they haven't damaged anything yet then pick something you really don't like and kick it before the cops come LOL!!!

That is why I like bells on the larger items. Put one on the bottom of your inflatable, your wireframe, your blowmolds. When they are picked up then the bells go off.

As far as a fishing line with bells attached. That is not illegal as there is no intent to bodily harm. Would be no different than if they tripped on your extension cords or your lights on the ground. The intent is the important factor.

Hey all,

Just so ya know I would not ever shoot anyone to harm them. I also would probably not even use this as I would rather just call the cops. Also I have been lucky enough to not have any vandals the past 2 years, keeping my fingers crossed I wont have anymore. Anywho just wanted to let you know. Great opinions and suggestions though.

I think because of the fact that our dispays take up so much area that even if you go out there to confront someone if they deside to take off that there is a good chance stuff will get broke anyways. They are bound to knock stuff over or step on stuff. This could happen if you had a gun in hand or not. Not saying that I like the gun idea. It just reminds me off a farmer around here that would shoot you with a pellet gun full of rock-salt if you went in his fields. Now that hurts. But still either way unless you live in Texas of course its just not right.

itsmejrv wrote:

...But still either way unless you live in Texas of course its just not right.

True. In Texas, the air guns would only encourage the undesired behavior. After all, the fun part is dodging the projectiles. Paintball is VERY popular. :laughing:

I guess on other thing to keep in mind. Anyone that walks across your property that trips on a light string either due to mischief or just out of stupidity could sue you and probably win. It is almost a no win situation.

it may be the"southern boy"coming out in me Logan, but if they are on my property messing with anything of mine, whether it be during christmas or the middle of summer, they are fair game....:cool:

-stephen

Consider this:

Do you want the lead story on the evening news to be "14 year old boy shot/electrocuted/harmed by Christmas display operator? I'm sure the media would have a heyday making a story out of someone who's supposed to be promoting joy and good will hurting a child (and yes a 14yo is a child, no matter how deviant).

Or how about "5 year old in serious condition after getting massive shock from boobytrapped Christmas display -- Parents said "She just wanted to see Santa -- we don't know how she got out of the house..."

-Tim

Well said Tim....

I wouldn't want to see that on the news and accidents do happen...even the best parents can't keep an eye trained on their child 24/7 and the neighboring pets or even your own do not know any better...

Just call the police...or do as I do and leave your lights on all night...a theif would think twice about stepping into a brightly lit area and I can look out any window and see the entire yard...I know some can't leave the whole display on...but you could leave on a little perimeter lighting...it doesn't add that much to the bill...:tree:

My take on the whole thing is this.I agree that a person wouldn't want to harm someone by booby trapping their display as it could hurt someone that just happens to get too close. On the other hand, if I see someone vandalizing mine, I will confront them. After calling police of course. I won't be real nice about it, but Iwon't go out with intention to do harm. However, should one of themdecide they don't like the fact I caught them and choose to do something, then I might just do harm. And thanks to a video camera, proof will showit was done in self defense. Noone can sue you, you were defending yourself, which you have the right to do.

tfischer wrote:

Jeff, I hope you're kidding.

What do you do when the neighor's dog, or even someone's kid, gets out and accidently brushes against a display?

Come on folks-- this is CHRISTMAS. You don't harm people over a Christmas display. Set up cameras, set up motion detectors that wake you up in the house, open the window and scream at them and 99% of the time they'll go away. You don't need to kill someone over a $30 inflatable or even a $200 blowmold.

-Tim

Yes of course I was kidding! Apparently writing doesn't do Justice to my humor.

When I first read thisthread I wasn't sure if this was a joke or everyone was serious. It would be a shame if all the folks on PC stoop to that level just trying to prevent some lights, blowmolds, inflatables, controllers or whatever else you have.

No Christmas display is worth harming anyone over it. To be perfectly honest if you want to sneak onto my yard and steal my Christmas decorations then you need them more than I do and you can have them. The true meaning of Christmas is lost in trying to prevent theft. If I woke up tomorrow and everything was gone I would be taken back but never would I think about getting even.

Let's not forget why we do what we do.

Wow I cant believe that simple little post has caused this much controversy lol, anyways it actually did turn out to be a pretty good post. I also agree with letting people have it but what bugs me is when like 3 years ago I had a 20 something year old ride a 4 wheeler through my display destroying several items, I traced his tracks to his house, but didnt do anything about it.

If someone were to ask if they could have some of it and they really couldnt afford it then I would be more than happy to give it to them, but to work so hard on stuff and have it torn apart left in your yard for your displeasure then I feel that this is no good.

Yet my lights are running from 5 - 12 now, and with the much added attention of computerization, more traffic equals more people watching the display, so there is a less chance of something being tore up.

i think i'll hire ellie mae and have her use her "fancy sligshot" with some good ol' fashion rocks on the butt :laughing:

thyno

Tim, Thank you for putting a governer on before the rpm's spin out of control!

I do not advocate torture, weapons, or confrontation. To all of you who use

cameras for identification, kudos to you! I know someone who shoots tresspassers

with a painball only for indentification purposes. Hard to tell the police that was not

you in the video, while you are "blue" in the face! (This guy has a "security is of

the essence" situation).

Thanks to PC for letting us vent! Only us members can relate to other members

misfortunes! When we have an incident, we really don't have anyone to turn to.

No one really understands what our projects mean to us! Its not the monetary

thing. It could be cheap, inexpensive, but time consuming in preperation.

This hobby is tedious! When someone has been "hit", those of us that had

it happen in the past can really reach out to us, and be a "comrade in arms"!

Not only do we share DIY tips, behind the scene photos, and insider tips, we also

share our sorrows of "yea, happen to me too"! We as a community only know

what we all feel! It is not foolishness, it is a stab in the heart, right down to the

soul! Here at least we have someone to put their arm around us, and help us

keep the spirit up!

DON'T GIVE EM THE SATISFACTION! (Clint Eastwood)

Thanks everyone! M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S !

I realize that this post started off in a humorous tone:], but I would caution all those who would run after or confront these vandals or thieves. My strong advice to all is as your emotions kick in about someone destroying your hard work and loving effort for others to enjoy, PHONE THE POLICE BEFORE making any attempt to talk / confront these type of people.:( I have mentioned this on the old board and see a need with all the new blood in here to mention it again!!!

I confronted a trouble maker that had come into or peaceful little neighbourhood one night.The resulting mayhem left me in intensive care for a while and years of rehab after being run down by a truck!! Not a word was said between the parties, the trouble makers panicked at seeing me the police figured (I'm a 6' 225lbs.scruffy looking guy)ran me down and never looked back, leaving me for dead in the road.

Would I do it again............... ???

You never know what the people will do to you. Be diligent, Be cautious, Be Safe!:D

Dean

I had no idea it was meant to be humorous. I have known so many people who would take a shot at some kid for vandalizing far less than a Christmas display, so it seemed real to me.