• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hereare some more teaser pics - everything in place! Will get the video shot as soon as the new DC-16 controller gets here/installed - wouldn't be much fun without the cannon fire!:] Ran for the first time tonight (sans cannon of course), according to the wife, the street was jammed packed!

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Well, if there is an award for most creative disaster of the year, I should be in the running!

Had straight-line winds this afternoon - a few hours after the bucket truck left me with a nice straight flag and a few pesky limbs removed. Was on the way to work and got the dread call. By the time I got home, about 30% of the structure was splintered and hanging by the power cords. The flag was doing its best to escape, but the heavy lanyards kept it in check.

So, back to the drawing board, and more woodwork this week and weekend.:{

Flanigan wrote:

Well, if there is an award for most creative disaster of the year, I should be in the running!

Had straight-line winds this afternoon - a few hours after the bucket truck left me with a nice straight flag and a few pesky limbs removed. Was on the way to work and got the dread call. By the time I got home, about 30% of the structure was splintered and hanging by the power cords. The flag was doing its best to escape, but the heavy lanyards kept it in check.

So, back to the drawing board, and more woodwork this week and weekend.:{

Earl,

I'm sorry to hear about that. It is pretty impressive in size so I suppose that can be expected with storms and such. I just hate to hear it hitting/damaging your flag display. I hope you get it all worked out and up and going again. Don't let mother nature get the best of you. Showing the red, white and blue will prevail.That's our secret weapon to all.

Tom

Hey, I'm mostly of Irish decent - hard headed and all that!:] Got a few improvements in mind for MegaFlag MkII!! Found a "Betsy Ross" thats going to stitch a series of panels along the length of the flag - imagine a giant curtain with a rod at the top and middle which can be drawn together at the center of the display during severe weather. Going to beef up the light frame with an outer of 2x4s and use the salvaged 1x2s to hang the lights on.

Best I can tell (might get CSI onto this case!:laughing:) the winds came from the opposite direction (highly unusual) from the way I had the frame reinforced to handle the wind load. It was basically like taking a 600sq/ft hand and pushing the light frame with all the force involved. The three masts were still straight as an arrow, but the blue field area was ripped free of the pole and had wrapped the flag and the light frame around the center support pole.

Ah well - live and learn....

Flanigan wrote:

Alright, alright! Here's an early video I made of the display. Be warned, its a little crude.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oXG8mvM1SA

:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Now that was really great. Thanks for "A" video.

The sequencing waspretty tight. :]

Tom

Oh My Word.

That was funny...you wasted like all that time on that *video* when you cuold have been fixing the REAL thing...and taking video of that???

Did your camera break like 1/3 of the way through or what???:laughing::laughing: I saw the screen go black?? What's with that???

Did that video during my lunch break at work (work nights). Figured there was little point in doing the whole thing with the pathetic little web-cam; besides that, Ifigured people would watch just long enough to have a good laugh.

Had a bunch of folks volunteer to assist in the reconstruction after they learned of the mishap. -sniff- Its like "Its a Wonderful Life" - sniff, sniff.....

Dropped the flag off at B. Ross' place,:} said she would have it done by Friday.

Should be back up Saturday or Sunday - show will re-begin that night.

Flanigan wrote:

Should be back up Saturday or Sunday - show will re-begin that night.

Wait a minute,

Which show are we talking about? :laughing:

Are we talking megaflag or miniflag :laughing:.

Thanks for the laugh (webcam)by the way. It made my evening.

Tom

Santas Helper wrote:

Flanigan wrote:

Wait a minute,

Which show are we talking about? :laughing:

Are we talking megaflag or miniflag :laughing:.

Went out and got another eight flashlights- that way I can have a 10-channel display!:laughing:

Just opened the "Care" package from Darryl at D-Light - nice new DC-16 board! Cannon will be roaring as well! Firgured I'd add all the lights I have left over for the flag as well - should come in at around 42-45000

Have three cannon. Was going to do seven, but money got tight. Each one is operated via the Wile E Coyote pneumatic valve system (an air gun with a pinball machine solenoid linked to it). The "smoke generator" is a smaller unit which slides into the cannon barrel. Has a threaded cap so refills are easy. Operating pressure is 80psi and fires a cloud of flour/baby powder for 1/50th second. Just enough to fog things up!:laughing:Operates like a dry chem fire extinguisher with a bit more finesse. Just inside each barrel is a flash unit cannibalized from a disposable camera. This is tied to the controller via a SPST relay.

The cannon trail (aka carriage) is made from 2x12 and the 32" wheels are sold in many places as garden decoration for about $15ea.

Picked up the flag at B. Ross' place today - triple stitched panels on the back that look like a tornado would have a hard time ripping loose! Outer edges of the light frame will now be made from treated 2x6s with the 1x2s serving as support for the lights only. Des....ummmm CONstruction begins at 0600 tomorrow with about six folks who were nice enough to volunteer their time.

Then when driving to work this afternoon, made an impulse purchase - one of those plywood silhouettes depicting a soldier kneeling at a grave - incorporating it into the show; figure Amazing Grace on the pipes will create a few tear-jerking moments. Heck, I get a little misty envisioning the sequence already. The cutout will sit behind the MegaFlag and a single tight spotlight will cast the shadow onto the flag.

And yes....I will be shooting the video Sunday night - the REAL one!:laughing:Could have it youtube-d as soon as Monday night.

Flanigan wrote:

Then when driving to work this afternoon, made an impulse purchase - one of those plywood silhouettes depicting a soldier kneeling at a grave - incorporating it into the show; figure Amazing Grace on the pipes will create a few tear-jerking moments. Heck, I get a little misty envisioning the sequence already. The cutout will sit behind the MegaFlag and a single tight spotlight will cast the shadow onto the flag.

Earl, now that is something felt by the heart. Being a military member myself, I can appreciate something like what your doing and this last post of the silhouettes you mentioned. This has got to be the best 4th display I've heard of.

Thank you!!!

And yes, I will behave and wait for your "real" video ;). I'm sure it will be very touching. Good luck with the weather and all.

Give Besty my best :].

Tom

Got the 1812 and National Anthem taped - converting video in the morning at work and will have it on youtube by tomorrow afternoon.

Battery pack on my good cam died so had to lug out an old broadcast camera (weighs a ton!...okay 12 lbs, but it feels like a ton!)

Bless me Father for I have sinned......Time was short, and had a weak moment - bought one of the canned sequences off the wowlights.com site - didn't convert over worth a darn to D-Light, so had to recode the whole sequence:(. Looks good now though.

Was going to take a pic of the wreck of MegaFlag 1, but was too disgusted at the time. Just imagine the Hindenburg without the fire.

The new and improved MegaFlag IInow has an outer frame of pressure treated 2x6" which is held together with 4 1/4" carriage bolts at each joint. Should make a good swing set for the kids in the off-season!:laughing: Whole frame weighs an estimated 300lbs and it took 10 strong backs to get it up. Beefed up the guy lines - each of the three support masts now has four sets of guys, with one set being at mid-section to prevent any buckling. This rebuild ran about $200. The new DC-16 Darryl sent is working like champ and the gentle strains of the 1812 can be fully experienced now!:]

Wow, nice job

My wife thought I was crazy for buying & hanging a 12' x 18' flag

Mine is suspended from a steel cable between the house & a huge Oak tree

The flag pole on the left is about 25' high & flies a 4x6 almost all the time

I bought the 12x18 off of EBay for $100

I buy the 4x6's also off EBay - $21 for 3

I looked at larger flags...but they were all $400 or more

Did you say you got yours for FREE out of a dumpster??!!

That's a crime, and a great save

12x18Flag3.jpg