Pneumatic Traffic Counter

I thought I'd try one of these this year to measure the traffic at my display.

You know the type:

a hose is ran across the street and every time a tire goes over it, it is recorded.

Has anyone else ever tried this method?

And if not, have you used another method of traffic counting?

(other than counting cars on your fingers:laughing:)

lkcubsrule wrote:

Well, you know that cars have 2 axles...so everytime a car goes over it, it will record 2x as much...but then again you can divide by 2 and all is good.

What happens if a truck goes over it pulling a camper. Is there a formula for that?:D(just giving you a hard time)

How will you know the people that drive by will be looking at your display?:laughing:

What you really need is an eyeball counter. You'll still have to divide by two, but you don't have to worry about the odd Three Eyed person driving by:laughing:

Toymakr000 wrote:

How will you know the people that drive by will be looking at your display?:laughing:

What you really need is an eyeball counter. You'll still have to divide by two, but you don't have to worry about the odd Three Eyed person driving by:laughing:

Those 3-eyed people make up for when Peter Falk or Sandy Duncan drive by. :laughing:

Have you thought about asking the city to put one in for you? In my area growing up we always had a good amount of traffic drive through looking at lights. We (The HOA) asked the city one year to put counters in and they did, we wanted to know and so did they so win-win. It worked for us but it may be city by city, never hurts to ask all they can say is NO.

There could be any number of problems with settin one up such as having to divide by 2 for all the regular vehicles, the occasional guy with a trailer, some kid going crossways on his 3-wheeler and a parade of unicyclists.:laughing:

maybe you should just hire some short guy to dress up as an elf and stand really still while counting the cars that go by:laughing:

How were you planning on doint the actual counting? Some sort of digital divice? Or just staring at a clear tube connected to the pipe and counting the number of times the water rises? :laughing:

Philip wrote:

There could be any number of problems with settin one up such as having to divide by 2 for all the regular vehicles, the occasional guy with a trailer, some kid going crossways on his 3-wheeler and a parade of unicyclists.:laughing:

maybe you should just hire some short guy to dress up as an elf and stand really still while counting the cars that go by:laughing:

Out of curiosity, I just asked myfriend - who is in charge of the traffic signal division in Dade County - about this. Specifically, I asked him if any factoring was done on the counts collected by these devices. While he advised me that he doesn't get too involved in this end of the business, he does say the following is generally true:

1. I think modern counterscount by halves so no adjustmentneeds to bemade.

2. Three-axeled vehicles are often considered to be the equivalent of 1.5 regular passenger vehicles (i.e. 1.5 epv's)in regard to many traffic analyses, thereby making adjustments unnecessary.

3. If there is a need to know individual vehicle counts as opposed to epv's, a factor can be used. The factor can be a wild guess (e.g. 2.1) or can be calculated reliably by conducting random manual counts of traffic type distributions.

Philip wrote:

Well or true statistians would make adjustments, kind of an educated guess at how many "bad" counts there are. I would assume subtract 5% to allow for trailers, semis or other vehicles with more then 2 axels, etc. Also you need to remember not to leave the counter counting 24 hours a day. Dont want to count cars before the lights go on, or after they go off at night.

The city doesn't have one and they don't care.

We live on a quiet, residential street where there are no trailers, semis, unicycles, etc.

The units come with a digital counter which one would look at when the lights come on (5pm) and again when they're turned off (10pm).

I will remove the tube in the case of predicted snow.

I thought you were going to make one! :laughing:

Here's a idea to throw out there:

Get one of those step counter things

Remove the step sensor, and add a photoresister.

Beam a laser to the photoresister from across the street.

Does that make sense? It's pretty complicated. Plus, I hae never taken apart a step counter. Use at your own risk! I doubt you will anyway :laughing:.

I have a simple photoresistor/transistor/relay circuit I built that is activated by headlights. The photoresistor is in a waterproof housing at the street with a wire running back to the basement to the power supply and rest of the circuitry. My circuit is actually hooked up to a computer that triggers lights when tripped in addition to keeping a count. I not sure anybody has actually figured out the lights only flash when they drive by and the counter is very much not accurate but you can tell busy nights from slow nights from the printout of the counts.