Dang that price of copper!

RichardH wrote:

Well I went to the Action Lighting web site today to order some more SPT2 wire and was shocked that it is about 50% More than it was last year (Last years price was $53 and this year it is $80).

Dang!

Paul at creative displays... has spt3. That is the equivalent of spt1. With the discounts... it comes out to 112.50 per 1000ft roll. That's a little over 11 cents a foot.

I feel your pain, Richard. I bought some about two days before the price went up, though, so I squeaked through.

At the recent PLUS conference, I spoke to the Action Lighting rep in the booth (I think his name was Dan), and he told me the story about their wire.

Awhile back they bought a container load of the wire, so much that they kind of looked at each other and wondered how they were ever going to sell so much of it. It took them awhile, but the supply slowly dwindled down. Dan said that he hadn't really kept up with the price, and was shocked when he got a re-quote on more when they needed it. So that's why the price jumped so much, they reordered their supply.

The good news (even though the price seems high now) is that he said he checked recently and he CAN"T EVEN BUY THE WIRE for the price they're selling it for now. So more price increases are coming. If you need it, you need it. Better to get it now at the "interim" $80ish pricerather than the next big wave of increases sure to come....

Randy

Randy wrote:

So more price increases are coming. If you need it, you need it. Better to get it now at the "interim" $80ish pricerather than the next big wave of increases sure to come....

Randy

Thanks for the heads up.

I had 5 LOR controllers (80 Channels) last year and I had to run some pretty long runs to some stuff because of where my LOR boxes where in the yard. I just bought 5 more controllers so I should be able to distribute them more throughout the yard and cut down on extension cord runs.

There are other places that are cheaper than Action Lighting. Search around. A few weeks ago, my local (or not so local) Menards had SPT1 wire for 22.99 for 250'! (I think SPT2 was like more than $30) I was dying to get over there, but my parents kept making excuses why not to drive 10 miles to get it (local one doesn't sell it). So, I didn't get any. I'm guessing it's probably at like $30 for a 250' roll, but that beats Action Lighting's price, and...there is no shipping.

I just bought 1000' for more then that locally - $136, but no shipping

I had a HD 10% off coupon, & then tax free weekend here - saves another 5%

I will be putting my LOR controllers in the yard under my Megat tree to elimate long SPT runs

I'll have to see where the others will go

I should have bought stuff in Jan-March when I intended to

The reson for the jump in copper prices is twofold.

First, China has been stockpiling copper like crazy and literally cornering the market on it - the old "supply and demand" thing. Here in the states, we can't mine it out fast enough to satisfy demand due to government/ecological/union restrictions. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the ore was sent to China for smelting!:{

Second, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Ammunition casings are made from brass, and lets face it - we've been using ammo like crazy over in the "Sandbox". This has subsequently caused a sharp spike in consumer ammo prices along with a decline in consumer ammo as all ammo producers are engaged in military contracts; lead to many people stockpiling ammo (buy it cheap and stack it deep), which has further increased demand for brass/copper and jacked up the raw material prices further. Until its "over, over there" prices will only continue to climb.

So best get all the wire (or ammo!)you think you'll need for the next couple of years NOW.

RICHARD SAID:

Well I went to the Action Lighting web site today to order some more SPT2 wire and was shocked that it is about 50% More than it was last year (Last years price was $53 and this year it is $80).

Dang!

Being new to this forum(really to all forums)

Tell me what I'm missing here. Other than it being smaller and easier to work with,Why not buy 100' extension cords at LOWES for $12.97 per cord, 50' cords @7.97 or 13 cents & 16 cents per foot respectively? They're 16/3 and already have the plugs.

hcrane

hcrane wrote:

RICHARD SAID:

Dang!

Being new to this forum(really to all forums)

Tell me what I'm missing here. Other than it being smaller and easier to work with,Why not buy 100' extension cords at LOWES for $12.97 per cord, 50' cords @7.97 or 13 cents & 16 cents per foot respectively? They're 16/3 and already have the plugs.

hcrane

Many people need lengths that do not match 25', 50' , 100' etc

It used to be very cost efficient at the old prices to run your own wire

Even with the new cost in many instances its more cost efficient to use SPT

Plus running a 35' of SPT down my driveway I can then add female plugs along that length to plug multiple blow molds in without needing any additional extension cords