Jump to content

Falling Snowflake for 2007


RichardH
 Share

Recommended Posts

New for my display in 2007 will be the leaping arches that everybody seems to be doing and a falling snowflake.

I just bought 14 26" Snowflakes from Novelty Lights (seemed like a good deal if you are getting more than 6)

https://ssl.adhost.com/noveltylights/merchant.cfm?pid=150&step=4

and below is a mock up how I am going to put them on the house.

snowflakes-mockup.jpg

Each snowflake will be controlled by a channel of LOR to give the effect of the snowflake falling.

I am sure the falling snowflake is nothing new and was wondering if anybody had any photos or video of something similar to what I am trying to do.

-Richard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice!

That's similar to how I'm doing my shooting star.

The Shooting Stars I've seen tend to be spaced apart quite a ways but I'm putting mine almost touching each other (like your snowflakes.)

By having LOR fade each one into the next I think it gives a better effect than just putting "tails" on them. I think your snowflakes will look awesome!

(I just put the pole up for the stars last week. Maybe I'll get them up for a prototype shot this weekend.)

Here's a video of an early proptype I did back in May or so:

http://www.chuckscorner.com/Stars.htm

(It's 10MB. Better not use a dialup connection!) ;)

Edit:

Hahahhah! I just realized there's audio in that video. (No, it's not synched to it!) :laughing:

Edit 2:

It looks even better in complete darkness. The pool lights and reflection off the deck kind of detract from the effect.

Edit 3:

The stars are made of 9-gauge wire, covered in rope light and are about 30" in diameter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ChuckHutchings wrote:

The Shooting Stars I've seen tend to be spaced apart quite a ways but I'm putting mine almost touching each other (like your snowflakes.)

I say the closer the better. It is like frames in an animation, the closer together, the more smooth the animation. Doing it this way though sure does eat the channels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RichardH wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Looks Good! Jaming to the Cars in the background eh? :)

There's ALWAYS a party on my patio!

Oh, wait - that's ZZ Top... :P

Edit:

Bu you see what I mean about fading them into each other? I think it looks great. (Again, the ambient lighting kind of kills the effect in the video - but I think your snowflakes will look great.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dale W wrote:

There is a company that sells a smaller snowflake built for falling:

Snowflakes In Motion: http://www.snowflakesinmotion.com

I have used some of their stuff. They are plastic, not wireframes.

Interesting. The have one video on their site but it is only a lady holding one snowflake that is turning off and on. I would really like to see a bunch of them working together. I wonder if they are in sync with each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They only use the "flash" bulb that comes with minis. But, if you plug them in together, they will flash in sequence (or so said the box, if I remember correctly). I purchased 12 of them and they work well, but I do not try to get them to fall - I have mine spread out across the display.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Geez - do I have to explain EVERYTHING?!? :laughing:

LOL - I guess so. I don't know my ZZ Top very well.

I just remember asking my mom if I could grow a beard like the guys in ZZ Top when I was 12. I was pleasantly surprised when she said yes and now I know why. I couldn't even grow peach fuzz. :]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RichardH wrote:

I say the closer the better. It is like frames in an animation, the closer together, the more smooth the animation. Doing it this way though sure does eat the channels.

Yes it does. Pretty much one whole controller just for this effect that I'll use 5-6 times per show.

Ouch!

:shock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great idea Richard!

I got my snowflakes from them last year. I used them on the roof. A pretty good

deal if your order a box of six.

Have you thought about using different sizes of snowflakes to make them look

more random? I know - more channels, but you could have them falling at

different rates/sizes. You have the perfect house for this! I could spend all your

money on snowflakes and channels!:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wirekat wrote:

Have you thought about using different sizes of snowflakes to make them look

more random? I know - more channels, but you could have them falling at

different rates/sizes. You have the perfect house for this! I could spend all your

money on snowflakes and channels!:D

The effect I am going for is a single falling snowflake. I think if they are spaced out more with different sizes, it may look like snowflakes just turning off and on. I guess I could do a few diferent snowflake streams with different size flakes but that would require a lot for snowflakes and more channels.

I would like to get more snow flakes and place them on the roof but may save that for 2008.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Richard,

I use alot of wireframes with motion. The deer I fabricated leap about the yard suported by rebar arches with the smallest leap being about ten ft. with five deer nose to tail. The larger arches have as many as 13 deer nose to tail. The kids love them.

I also have a shooting star four ft. in hight- 12 total, with five ft. spacing. This year I have made up 15 blue LED stars which will be hung at different hights from trees across the yard. During the song Midnight Clear by TSO the fifteen stars will appear to fall to earth simutanuosly using 60 additional stars. There spacing is about 7 ft. I plan on using 110 channels on motion frames this year- they can really take up the channels.

Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill V wrote:

Richard,

I use alot of wireframes with motion. The deer I fabricated leap about the yard suported by rebar arches with the smallest leap being about ten ft. with five deer nose to tail. The larger arches have as many as 13 deer nose to tail. The kids love them.

I also have a shooting star four ft. in hight- 12 total, with five ft. spacing. This year I have made up 15 blue LED stars which will be hung at different hights from trees across the yard. During the song Midnight Clear by TSO the fifteen stars will appear to fall to earth simutanuosly using 60 additional stars. There spacing is about 7 ft. I plan on using 110 channels on motion frames this year- they can really take up the channels.

Bill

Wow! Sound really awesome! You will have to make sure to get some video so we can all see it. Do you have a web site? Your yard must be huge. Can't wait to see the falling star effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill V wrote:

I also have a shooting star four ft. in hight- 12 total, with five ft. spacing. This year I have made up 15 blue LED stars which will be hung at different hights from trees across the yard. During the song Midnight Clear by TSO the fifteen stars will appear to fall to earth simutanuosly using 60 additional stars.

Whoa! That's a lot of stars! (You are definately "star struck"! :laughing: )

TED

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RichardH wrote:

Bill V wrote:

Wow! Sound really awesome! You will have to make sure to get some video so we can all see it. Do you have a web site? Your yard must be huge. Can't wait to see the falling star effect.

Richard,

It is a big yard, thats one of the problems I have trying to take pictures or videos. Fortunetly this year I'm going to finally have a video production company produce and edit a video that I can post here and put on my flegling site Collingwoodlights

Bill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bill V wrote:

Richard,

It is a big yard, thats one of the problems I have trying to take pictures or videos. Fortunetly this year I'm going to finally have a video production company produce and edit a video that I can post here and put on my flegling site Collingwoodlights

Bill

Cool! Can't wait to see it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.... didn't read here for a week an a whole bunch of intersting stuff going on!

Anyway, I had 18 snowflakes on my roof last year (ten of the 36" Lowes closeout specials and eight of the 24" Lowes closeout specials - spread out on two viewable faces of the roof). I lumped them together so that they "fell" in sequence, which helped save on channels. I've decided this year to buy a simple chase controller for $15 (actually gonna buy a few) and then will have to commit far fewer LOR channels. That is my goal this year, figure out where I was only using segments of my display in simple routines (like chasing) and cut out the use of LOR. So, what I am planning is turning on a LOR channel and having it start the snowflakes falling.... then turn off that channel when I don't want them to fall anymore.

I like the looks of the noveltylights.com lights and those are pretty cheap (not as cheap as the Lowes closeouts, but very reasonably priced). This past year I was only able to pickup some Ace Hardware closeout three packs of snowflakes connected. I got seven of those, so another 21 snowflakes, but they are much smaller and connected....

-Louie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...