Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
RichardH

Falling Snowflake for 2007

New for my display in 2007 will be the leaping arches that everybody seems to be doing and a falling snowflake.

I just bought 14 26" Snowflakes from Novelty Lights (seemed like a good deal if you are getting more than 6)

https://ssl.adhost.com/noveltylights/merchant.cfm?pid=150&step=4

and below is a mock up how I am going to put them on the house.

snowflakes-mockup.jpg

Each snowflake will be controlled by a channel of LOR to give the effect of the snowflake falling.

I am sure the falling snowflake is nothing new and was wondering if anybody had any photos or video of something similar to what I am trying to do.

-Richard

Nice!

That's similar to how I'm doing my shooting star.

The Shooting Stars I've seen tend to be spaced apart quite a ways but I'm putting mine almost touching each other (like your snowflakes.)

By having LOR fade each one into the next I think it gives a better effect than just putting "tails" on them. I think your snowflakes will look awesome!

(I just put the pole up for the stars last week. Maybe I'll get them up for a prototype shot this weekend.)

Here's a video of an early proptype I did back in May or so:

http://www.chuckscorner.com/Stars.htm

(It's 10MB. Better not use a dialup connection!) ;)

Edit:

Hahahhah! I just realized there's audio in that video. (No, it's not synched to it!) :laughing:

Edit 2:

It looks even better in complete darkness. The pool lights and reflection off the deck kind of detract from the effect.

Edit 3:

The stars are made of 9-gauge wire, covered in rope light and are about 30" in diameter.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

The Shooting Stars I've seen tend to be spaced apart quite a ways but I'm putting mine almost touching each other (like your snowflakes.)

I say the closer the better. It is like frames in an animation, the closer together, the more smooth the animation. Doing it this way though sure does eat the channels.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Here's a video of an early proptype I did back in May or so:

Looks Good! Jaming to the Cars in the background eh? :)

RichardH wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Looks Good! Jaming to the Cars in the background eh? :)

There's ALWAYS a party on my patio!

Oh, wait - that's ZZ Top... :P

Edit:

Bu you see what I mean about fading them into each other? I think it looks great. (Again, the ambient lighting kind of kills the effect in the video - but I think your snowflakes will look great.)

Dale W wrote:

There is a company that sells a smaller snowflake built for falling:

Snowflakes In Motion: http://www.snowflakesinmotion.com

I have used some of their stuff. They are plastic, not wireframes.

Interesting. The have one video on their site but it is only a lady holding one snowflake that is turning off and on. I would really like to see a bunch of them working together. I wonder if they are in sync with each other.

They only use the "flash" bulb that comes with minis. But, if you plug them in together, they will flash in sequence (or so said the box, if I remember correctly). I purchased 12 of them and they work well, but I do not try to get them to fall - I have mine spread out across the display.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Geez - do I have to explain EVERYTHING?!? :laughing:

LOL - I guess so. I don't know my ZZ Top very well.

I just remember asking my mom if I could grow a beard like the guys in ZZ Top when I was 12. I was pleasantly surprised when she said yes and now I know why. I couldn't even grow peach fuzz. :]

RichardH wrote:

I say the closer the better. It is like frames in an animation, the closer together, the more smooth the animation. Doing it this way though sure does eat the channels.

Yes it does. Pretty much one whole controller just for this effect that I'll use 5-6 times per show.

Ouch!

:shock:

Great idea Richard!

I got my snowflakes from them last year. I used them on the roof. A pretty good

deal if your order a box of six.

Have you thought about using different sizes of snowflakes to make them look

more random? I know - more channels, but you could have them falling at

different rates/sizes. You have the perfect house for this! I could spend all your

money on snowflakes and channels!:D

wirekat wrote:

Have you thought about using different sizes of snowflakes to make them look

more random? I know - more channels, but you could have them falling at

different rates/sizes. You have the perfect house for this! I could spend all your

money on snowflakes and channels!:D

The effect I am going for is a single falling snowflake. I think if they are spaced out more with different sizes, it may look like snowflakes just turning off and on. I guess I could do a few diferent snowflake streams with different size flakes but that would require a lot for snowflakes and more channels.

I would like to get more snow flakes and place them on the roof but may save that for 2008.

Richard,

Use strobes on the ground for when the snowflake hit and splatters.

I've used two rows of five on my chimney with 24 inch snowflakes that I bought from Lowes (Holiday Home)and ten lor channels. My wife loved them, I like your setup a littlebetter.

talbers wrote:

Richard,

Use strobes on the ground for when the snowflake hit and splatters.

Good Idea! I have about 10 strobes and was not sure how I was going to use them this year. Maybe I will try that.

The check is in the mail :laughing:

Richard,

I use alot of wireframes with motion. The deer I fabricated leap about the yard suported by rebar arches with the smallest leap being about ten ft. with five deer nose to tail. The larger arches have as many as 13 deer nose to tail. The kids love them.

I also have a shooting star four ft. in hight- 12 total, with five ft. spacing. This year I have made up 15 blue LED stars which will be hung at different hights from trees across the yard. During the song Midnight Clear by TSO the fifteen stars will appear to fall to earth simutanuosly using 60 additional stars. There spacing is about 7 ft. I plan on using 110 channels on motion frames this year- they can really take up the channels.

Bill

Bill V wrote:

Richard,

I use alot of wireframes with motion. The deer I fabricated leap about the yard suported by rebar arches with the smallest leap being about ten ft. with five deer nose to tail. The larger arches have as many as 13 deer nose to tail. The kids love them.

I also have a shooting star four ft. in hight- 12 total, with five ft. spacing. This year I have made up 15 blue LED stars which will be hung at different hights from trees across the yard. During the song Midnight Clear by TSO the fifteen stars will appear to fall to earth simutanuosly using 60 additional stars. There spacing is about 7 ft. I plan on using 110 channels on motion frames this year- they can really take up the channels.

Bill

Wow! Sound really awesome! You will have to make sure to get some video so we can all see it. Do you have a web site? Your yard must be huge. Can't wait to see the falling star effect.

Bill V wrote:

I also have a shooting star four ft. in hight- 12 total, with five ft. spacing. This year I have made up 15 blue LED stars which will be hung at different hights from trees across the yard. During the song Midnight Clear by TSO the fifteen stars will appear to fall to earth simutanuosly using 60 additional stars.

Whoa! That's a lot of stars! (You are definately "star struck"! :laughing: )

TED

Started making stars and couldnt stop....I was seeing stars for weeks! I think it's going to be pretty cool though.

Bill

RichardH wrote:

Bill V wrote:

Wow! Sound really awesome! You will have to make sure to get some video so we can all see it. Do you have a web site? Your yard must be huge. Can't wait to see the falling star effect.

Richard,

It is a big yard, thats one of the problems I have trying to take pictures or videos. Fortunetly this year I'm going to finally have a video production company produce and edit a video that I can post here and put on my flegling site Collingwoodlights

Bill

Bill V wrote:

Richard,

It is a big yard, thats one of the problems I have trying to take pictures or videos. Fortunetly this year I'm going to finally have a video production company produce and edit a video that I can post here and put on my flegling site Collingwoodlights

Bill

Cool! Can't wait to see it!

.... didn't read here for a week an a whole bunch of intersting stuff going on!

Anyway, I had 18 snowflakes on my roof last year (ten of the 36" Lowes closeout specials and eight of the 24" Lowes closeout specials - spread out on two viewable faces of the roof). I lumped them together so that they "fell" in sequence, which helped save on channels. I've decided this year to buy a simple chase controller for $15 (actually gonna buy a few) and then will have to commit far fewer LOR channels. That is my goal this year, figure out where I was only using segments of my display in simple routines (like chasing) and cut out the use of LOR. So, what I am planning is turning on a LOR channel and having it start the snowflakes falling.... then turn off that channel when I don't want them to fall anymore.

I like the looks of the noveltylights.com lights and those are pretty cheap (not as cheap as the Lowes closeouts, but very reasonably priced). This past year I was only able to pickup some Ace Hardware closeout three packs of snowflakes connected. I got seven of those, so another 21 snowflakes, but they are much smaller and connected....

-Louie