Blowmolds still falling with rebar in them

Hello everyone! I have most of my display up and running except the thing giving me problems are the blowmolds. I have rebar in each blowmold and they still fall down with the 40+mph winds we have over here a lot. Me and my dad spent so much time cutting the rebar the right sizes for each blowmold and we are disappointed to see them falling down. I don't think sand is an option for most of them because they have small holes in the bottom of them where we put the rebar in them. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help! Thanks in advance!

Merry Christmas,

Matt Phillips

ok do what i do. drill 2 holes at the top and bottom on the back of each mold and use rebar or whatever and drive it behind the mold and wire tie it thru the holes at the at the top and at the bottom. hope that makes since i have never had any blow over doing it that way.

-stephen

Matt, you really don't need to drill holes in your blow molds although many people do. I use rebar on the inside of the mold to keep it stable and in one spot. I also put rebar behind the mold. Sandwiching the mold between the two pieces of rebar holds them and I then zip tie the mold to the rebar. I try to find an inconspicous spot, like under a hat brim or around the feet and run the zip ties (often using several in a chain) completely around the mold to the rebar in the back. I live in a very windy area too (Chicago suburbs), today the winds were gusting at 50 mph. Not one blow mold moved.

Carrie Sansing wrote:

Matt, you really don't need to drill holes in your blow molds although many people do. I use rebar on the inside of the mold to keep it stable and in one spot. I also put rebar behind the mold. Sandwiching the mold between the two pieces of rebar holds them and I then zip tie the mold to the rebar. I try to find an inconspicous spot, like under a hat brim or around the feet and run the zip ties (often using several in a chain) completely around the mold to the rebar in the back. I live in a very windy area too (Chicago suburbs), today the winds were gusting at 50 mph. Not one blow mold moved.

Matt,

Carrie has summed this up in an excellent manner for you. Take advise from this gal as she knows her stuff. I personally wouldn't drill holes in my blow molds as I am particular about how my blow molds look. I just don't personally like seeing holes drilled in the blow molds if ya don't have too. I though would take Carrie's advise as to holding your blow molds in place. But of course, I don't use rebar. I just use sand and bricks and that works just fine in 50 mph winds. I put about 3 to 4 large bricks in the bottom of mine and the smaller blow molds get 3 zip locked plastic bags filled with sand in the bottom base. I have had no blow molds ever blown down. Maybe moved a little, but that's all. :)

I agree with Thomas and Carrie. I only use one piece of rebar on the outside and use cable ties to hold the mold to that. The past couple of years the wind has blown pretty good. I start by using pea gravel as weight. Then if the wind blows one over I just use rebar and next year use more gravel in the ones that blew over last season.

Hey Matt - I was wondering how to secure my blowmolds too. We live in southwestern PA and get some really strong winds. I saw a posting on here somewhere where somebody used fence posts. I went to Lowes, bought 40 of the 3 foot green posts and some wire. I drilled two little holes in each blow molds back (1/8" bit) fed the wire through and twisted it around the fence post. It has worked great! Last night the wind was rattling the roof and my blowmolds were shaking but I didn't have one blow over. Good Luck, Denise

I have some good news! I just came in from trying what Carrie told me to do and it works great! The blowmold doesnt move at all! However, I do not have many cable ties left:(.....so where can I get them in bulk for a small amount of money? Thanks!

Merry Christmas,

Matt Phillips

Hi Matt I don't post much on the forum but I wanted to let you know that this year we tried something a little bit different my husband drilled holes in our blow molds ran some wire through them and used tent stakes they have been standing great and when it's time to put them away just pull them up and ready for next year.

Thanks Brenda

Well I just got back from Lowe's and I got a really good deal on the cable ties I bought. They were supposed to be $15.38 for a pack of 700 but I was only charged $4.99! I got an assorted pack with 300 4", 200 8", and 200 11". Hopefully that will be enough cable ties for all my blowmolds.

Merry Christmas,

Matt Phillips

I don't drill holes either. But I use 1/2" conduit and drive 5' pieces in the ground till they barely fit inside the blowmold without touching the top. Then I put the blowmold over top of the conduit. They may turn a bit but that is not a problem as they stay up. You may have to make some holes bigger in the bottom to fit the conduit but that is not a big deal. I just used my rotozip.

• 6 years later...

What I found worked for me was to run a small chain (similar to a swingset chain) looped the bottom hole and the hole where the electric cord comes out, then joining the two ends together with a zip tie. Finally, hammering a tent stake into the ground allowing the hook of the stake to "grab" one of the chain links. You don't even need a pole, rebar or anything else inside. Plus that setup prevents "grab and runs"...you'd be surprised how difficult it is to yank the blowmold away from the ground stake...been working for me for years!