Poorman MR16 LED Flood Holder

Here is a little prototype of a flood holder that I made today. Cost is only 10cents (2 clear plastic cups).

I poke small holes for the light plug and then plug in a mr16 socket under the cup. I then place another cup on top and then tape it.

Did a test with water for about 10 minutes and it worked fine.

poorman-flood-holder-01.jpg

poorman-flood-holder-02.jpg

Ok here is my New and Improved cleaner design. The light is a DC based MR16 size LED Flood Light. What makes it nice is the MR16 socket just plugs into the bottom so I can make a long cord with all the sockets soldered it and then plug in the flood.

I used a shorter cup for the bottom so the cups rest on each other to give a better seal.

I had to cut the top cup a little to make the Led Flood lamp fit just right.

poorman-flood-holder-03.jpg

poorman-flood-holder-04.jpg

Added some clear tape to hold it together.

poorman-flood-holder-05.jpg

poorman-flood-holder-06.jpg

Richard

I like your design I havent decided if I am going to use the MR16s yet this year or not (still waiting for my LOR DC boards to come in and play with them) I do have a question about your holder. How are you going to mount them? I ask because I am worried about things like wind/rain/snow knocking them over since they are so light weight (no pun intended:laughing:). Are you going to glue them to some type of pedistal?

m gardner wrote:

Richard

I like your design I havent decided if I am going to use the MR16s yet this year or not (still waiting for my LOR DC boards to come in and play with them) I do have a question about your holder. How are you going to mount them? I ask because I am worried about things like wind/rain/snow knocking them over since they are so light weight (no pun intended:laughing:). Are you going to glue them to some type of pedistal?

I was thinking of getting some of those long Rail Road Nails and use duct or electrical tape to fasten them to the outside of the cups. This will also allow me to aim them and then stick them in the groud.

Ok here is the final design.

Cost is 18cents. 10 Cents for two cups, 8 cents for a 6" long nail. I can also make them pretty fast and the mr16 socket is easy to plug in and unplug from the light. I plan on making my cord runs, soldering in the sockets where I want the lights, and then I will just be able to plug them in.

poorman-flood-holder-08.jpg

poorman-flood-holder-07.jpg

poorman-flood-holder-09.jpg

Yeah I wanted to find something cheap and fast to make since i need about 80 of them. With this design I should be able to make that many for only $15 in materials. They should also hold up in the weather also. We will see this season how they hold up!