Running your lights at a lower intensity doesn't really much electricity.

I'd like to see more information that a usage meter only measures on the + side of the wave. I'm skeptical simply because it would be (in my limited knowledge) very easy to abuse this:

Assume 2 phase AC (normal 220v for houses):

1 - Connect rectifiers to each phase to allow power to flow only during the - side of the wave.

2 - Couple these together to get 220v DC current

3 - Use this current to create AC power (either via inverter or a DC run AC generator)

Again, this is getting WAAAAAY out of my league. My assumptions could be completely ridiculous to those who know ANYTHING about electricity!

Yep, I'm with the other electrical guys here and think that the killowatt isn't a good tool to use to find power/current when "chopping' the waveform for dimming purposes.

Probably the best answer would be to ask the LOR folks what their timings are for a 50% light output. I know this is not linear and if you knew what percentage of the waveform is presented to the bulbs I think it would be a start. I dont belivee this to be a trivial calculation (meaning someone who remembers calculus is needed).

Greg Young wrote:

While the above discussion is very interesting, one point was not mentioned - longevity of the lights.

<snip>

Run at about 75 - 80%, the bulbs last waaaaaay longer than the 2 - 3,000 hours they are rated to last.

One of my biggest reasons for going with controllers as well--the ability to run lights at less than 100%. Ever put a 130v long-life bulb on a 120v circuit? It's a little dimmer, but it lasts for years!

Also, the ability to do what theatrical dimmers can: preheat bulb filaments by always running channels at something more than 0% but less than the percentage where light output becomes obvious. This reduces stress on the bulb filaments caused by dimming and frequent on/off cycles.