Icile Lights - Yeah or Nay

I went a little crazy with the after Christmas sales last year and ended up buying over 400' of Icicle Lights (75% off). I keep changing my mind if I should add them to the house or not. I am wondering if it will be "too much".

House-05.jpg

I was thinking of leaving them off most of the time and only having them come on at certain "big moments" like at the end of songs and such.

What do you think? Are Icicle Lights on their way out?

Personally, I've moved on from icicle lights to the Target energy saver "swag" lights. I had used icicle lights for a long time, and I thought it was time for a change. I don't think they are necessarily on their way out, but their popularity has faded (pardon the pun).

I think they would look cool instead of the C9s you got on the rooflines. Maybe like use the icicles in different parts instead of the C9s (I mean put both up, and use them at different times in the show).

I think they would look good with your mega tree lights (mini) and your trees (mini)...and your REAL trees...which are also mini lights.

I use them, and they look good for the first few years...but after that, they start looking junky...(I will be on my 2nd year)...and mine look pretty good, now.

RichardH wrote:

I went a little crazy with the after Christmas sales last year and ended up buying over 400' of Icicle Lights (75% off). I am wondering if it will be "too much".

I was thinking of leaving them off most of the time and only having them come on at certain "big moments" like at the end of songs and such.

Don't we all go crazy with the after Christmas sales? What, do some people remain sane?

Anyway, I think that 400' would be too much for your house! I have a friend on vacation in Utah, and I will contact him to come and collect 390'from you. Let me know how much you paid for the 400' and Ican pay you via Paypal for the 390'. You will then get10' for free . . .

Just kidding! :D

Seriously, I think controlled with your finesse they would be awesome. Especially if they are a different colour's and you can overlap them . . . .

I am one of "those" that can't go anywhere without looking at every house and imagining how to decorate them at Christmas, so I love this kind of question. ;-)

My trouble comes in trying todescribe what my "minds eye" sees tho..but I will try. LOL

I would definitely add the icicles. I think you will really love how they will add to your already beautiful home and display. Icicles do not work for all homes for sure but on your home I think they would be awesome !!!!

Your home has the height and awesome gables, that willallow the icicles to stand out and give a very classy look.They will complement the lower portion. (trees etc.) of your display and bring a beautiful balance between the two.

I would not use them. I personaly think icicle lights, like said a few posts above, "They Look Junky". I personally like the clean c9's you have on the roof, and the icicle lights would be a serious downgrade, both with lights, and how it looks durring the day (Which is semi-improtant also).

---Daniel L

"I am wondering if it will be "too much""

Are you kidding there is never too much! I went from Icicles to full frontal:shock:coverage.

Some say I have too much, but I like it. I think if you have icicles you can make your house look diffferent depending if you have your c?'s on or the icicles. The C?'s look more classic sharp edged and the icicles are a softer edge. So if you do both you can change the look (with a few more chanels of course).

Rich,

I have struggled with this choice on my home as well, but feel the Icicles are not uniform enough for my anal compulsive needs.

So, I agree with Daniel, you have a classywell definedlook to your home.Adding the "snow/icicle" effect to the eves would change the feel to your display ... and would muddy up your design.

Do your lights around the eves "chase" ??? If not, rigging for this effect would be a great addition.

Good luck,

T.

Thanks for all your input. I am still giving it some thought and made a little mock up of what they would look like. Like I said, I will not use them very much and only at moments when I need to make the house look very bright. I did think about how they will look during the day, but I already have a megatree with guy wire which is pretty ugly already during the day and this year I will have leaping arches that I am sure will not look 'elegant' during the day.

I think I will go ahead and give it a go this year with them and if it does not look right, they will go in 2008.

house-iciclelights.jpg

RichardH wrote:

Thanks for all your input. I am still giving it some thought and made a little mock up of what they would look like. Like I said, I will not use them very much and only at moments when I need to make the house look very bright. I did think about how they will look during the day, but I already have a megatree with guy wire which is pretty ugly already during the day and this year I will have leaping arches that I am sure will not look 'elegant' during the day.

I think I will go ahead and give it a go this year with them and if it does not look right, they will go in 2008.

house-iciclelights.jpg

I think that will look pretty good Rich!

i1uhrace wrote:

I was trying to decide if I would use mine this year or not and I decided yes. I say go for it. By the way is that your bus in the picture? Very cool. I have a 62 panel.

Yep, that is my '64 Bus. I put a wreath on the front with white lights and drive it around in December. As you know, the heat is not very good already and I also took the heat exchanger boxes off to get a little more power, so there is no heat at all with it. I have to wear my heavy coat, hat, and gloves when I drive it around.

busandvespa.jpg

RichardH wrote:

i1uhrace wrote:

Yep, that is my '64 Bus. I put a wreath on the front with white lights and drive it around in December. As you know, the heat is not very good already and I also took the heat exchanger boxes off to get a little more power, so there is no heat at all with it. I have to wear my heavy coat, hat, and gloves when I drive it around.

busandvespa.jpg

Nice scooter as well.

RichardH wrote:

I went a little crazy with the after Christmas sales last year and ended up buying over 400' of Icicle Lights (75% off). I keep changing my mind if I should add them to the house or not. I am wondering if it will be "too much".

TOO MUCH???

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Who are you talking to???

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

:smilingelf:

I'm putting up some icycles to soften the effectduring slower songs. They have a place.

I personally love the look of icicles myself, use them in my display and plan on getting some LED icicles to replace the 10+ yr old icicles after this lighting season. Not only will I have them on the roof, but in the front of the display, I have all red and all blue making a "fencing" to the front of the display.

When I have video of it, you can all see it, the ones up front are new this year.

Rob

RichardH wrote:

house-iciclelights.jpg

I Love icicle lights on houses with peaks, they look the best that way.

I once just did the very top of the peak of my garage with one set of icicles,-- the icicles dont start until 3/4 of the way up the roof.

Gee Richard I guess they look great!

I have always wanted icicle lights son the house. I used to do the darn

things from scratch years ago.

I'm now in the blue icicle light phase of my life. Last year was blue

frosted minis, this year blue led icicles.

I'd go for it and knowing you, you'll use them to best effect.

RichardH wrote:

What do you think? Are Icicle Lights on their way out?

I dont think icicle lights are on the way out. One thing though, too bad your trees havent grown. Icicle lights run on high reaching branches in the canopy of trees look incredible awesome!

On the other hand... your lights are neat and clean... but I wouldnt say you have too much... what about trimming your windows and doors? You can trip them in icicles...even the verticle runs - thats different... or run them in your real trees, I imagine they are larger then last year.