How do you attach your C9/C7 lights to your house?

I would like to see and hear all the various ways people attach C9s to their house. Last year I used the built in clip on the C9 socket.

c9-lights-01.jpg

This worked pretty good but I had a few times where the clip would break off or it was very hard to slide the clip into the siding . Also I had some ice form near some c9s and it broke off taking the c9s with it and breaking off the clip on quite a bit of lights making it impossible to attach them back the same way.

icicle-on-lights.jpg

This year I am trying out some multi purpose clips that I bought at Hobby Lobby. Below is a picture I took yesterday converting them over to this new method (yes I left up my c9s all year long and they are all faded and need to get new ones).

c9-clips.jpg

What I love about this multi-purpose clip is that it has a little hook on the end so it will be easy to attach my new icicle lights this year. Also they work as shingle clips and I plan on outlining roof angles.

So......

How do you attach your C9 lights?

Well I gave up on my new method using the clips and going back to my old style. The clips work great when attached to the gutter but I am having all kinds or problems geting them attached in the shingles. They are not as straight and hard to space correctly with 3 different strands.

I have a bag of c9 sockets that I bought from Action Lighting so I will be using those to replace the sockets where the clip broke. It is such a pain though because you pretty much have to break the old one off which is a lot of work and then put a new one back in place.

I'm stuck with ideas. I have icicle lights, so the C9s need to go above the icicles (as shown in my avatar). On the parts w/o Icicles, they can go where ever. However, I want it to look uniformed....like all facing up or sideways. I will probably get light clips like you did, Richard, and then get different ones to mount the lights horizontally on the shingles.

I was thinking of doing it your "old" way...but then it wouldn't look uniformed, etc. and it would be below the icicles...bad idea.

Richard, if you think it's a pain....I have to do over 300 of them! I bought sockets and wire...couldn't afford a thousand foot spool...and I'd have too much leftovers.

Did you fingure a way to put icicles on with your C9's?

lkcubsrule wrote:

Richard, if you think it's a pain....I have to do over 300 of them! I bought sockets and wire...couldn't afford a thousand foot spool...and I'd have too much leftovers.

Did you fingure a way to put icicles on with your C9's?

You are crazy putting that many sockets on. Tell us how it was when you are done.

I am going to hang the icicle lights from the wire of the c9s so the c9s will be directly above it. Figure I would use zip toes or something every 12 inches.

I have used up over a bag of them...it wasn't that hard. I just mark every 12 inches, then take 2 cutting boards (a big and small--plastic) but the big one on the bottom, and put the socket into place. Then, I take the small one and press down...so I don't make circles in our wooden table...I've made a few already!

I have 4 bags of 100...and I finished the eave above my room and the garage...and the top of one set of shingles...so that's over 100. It goes pretty fast once you mark the wire...

It sure beats spending an extra $100 on wire that I can't use!

RichardH wrote:

Well I gave up on my new method using the clips and going back to my old style. The clips work great when attached to the gutter but I am having all kinds or problems geting them attached in the shingles. They are not as straight and hard to space correctly with 3 different strands.

Use the original type of all-in-one clips (NOT the all-in-one plus) to attach to shingles.

http://www.actionlighting.com/item-detail.asp?ID=373&MainCategory=Christmas&Sub=Holiday%20Installation%20Accessories

http://www.aachristmas.com/descriptions/31032.asp?id=295

Note that the picture is WRONG! It should clip on the socket NOT on the bulb!

TED

RichardH wrote:

I have a bag of c9 sockets that I bought from Action Lighting so I will be using those to replace the sockets where the clip broke. It is such a pain though because you pretty much have to break the old one off which is a lot of work and then put a new one back in place.

Richard here is a picture of what we did last year. 4 colors each on there own strand, each taking 2 channels so 8 total chanels (left & right). All 600+ lights are done with clips. Yes it took me a couple of night to do them but there all straight and perfect. Besides that white one up there on top that I had to replace:]. 100% clips.

post-977-129571006043_thumb.jpg

Have you considered using clip strips? There was a guy at PLUS that was selling them. You could mount them beneath the eaves to protect your lights from snow and ice.

Dale and Richard: That is the guy that was at PLUS. I believe his name was Fred Hall. I am using both the lite clip for my eves and the aluminum tube for around my windows. On the part of the roof that has gutters I am putting them up just as Richard did last year. I will try and take some pictures this weekend of both the eves and windows and post.

Gary

Well I just got done fixing my c9 lights. As I stated in my OP I had some damage done to my c9s and broke off all the built in clips on the c9 socket.

icicle-on-lights.jpg

I thought I could just replace the c9 sockets with some new ones. Last year I bought a bunch of C9 and C7 sockets from Action lighting along with a 1000' spool of C9s. The Sockets are a PAIN to get off. I tried all sort of stuff to try and pry them off and you can do some serious damage to the wire. I ended up having to get a dremel tool and cut into the socket on each side so they would pop off (doing this up on a ladder at 25' is not fun).

I got a bunch of the damaged sockets off and then attached the new ones (which were a royal pain to get on also at 25' up in the air). After I had them all on, only half of them worked. I was able to only get a few working but many of them I could not. The lights were very hard to screw into the socket. Last year I also bought some C7 sockets and attached them to some spt2 without any problems. I started comparing the two and the quality on the C9s are terrible. The screw threads on the replacement C9s were shallow and the plastic not as thick as on the C7 ones or the ones that were on the 1000' spool of C9s. The "Vampire Bites" where not very thick and it seems like some of them were just bending instead of going into the wire which caused the socket not to get power.

What I ended up doing was removing the entire section of damaged sockets which was about 18' (54' feet of c9s since I run 3 different strands for the different colors) and install male and female plugs so I could put it back inline.

It would be nice if I could buy replacement c9 sockets that were the same quality as the one on the spool. If anybody knows of a good source, let me know. I have a few single sockets in areas with broken clips and it would be nice to replace them with a quality socket.