Snow Machine Fluid Recipe

mmulvenna wrote:

Here is a formulaI use to make my fluid

From a gallon of distilled water

remove 22 ounces of water

add 12 ounces of dish washing fluid

add 8 ounces of 70% alcohol

add 2 ounces of glycerin (can be purchased by the gallon at http://www.chemistrystore.com/glycerin.htm)

I use this formula for True North machine. You might have to make measurement adjustments for yours.

Which dish soap do you use? I thought about that too... More concentrated maybe?

I wonder what the Glycerin does?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TED wrote:

I noticed small snow machines for sale at Kroger for $39.99. These are the kind that look like fog machines. (Kroger is a grocery store chain.)

TED

I'll have to check that out... I never go to Kroger... We shop almost exclusively at the Walmart neighborhood grocery store... For those who might not know, its a "walmart" but only the grocery store part...

Toaster wrote:

TED wrote:

I'll have to check that out... I never go to Kroger... We shop almost exclusively at the Walmart neighborhood grocery store... For those who might not know, its a "walmart" but only the grocery store part...

We just buy the cheapest we can find in a large quatity at COSTCO. This year it happened to be KIRKLAND concentrated and yes the glycerin does hold the bbules togeter and also lubricates the machine.

I went to Kroger, no snow machines (at least here).

I bought some dish soap (Ajax 99¢ for 16oz and Dawn concentrate $1.99 forgot how big)... I mixed up 8oz of soap + 8oz of 70% alcohol + 1gal distilled water. Seems to be working great! Way better than the Landers bubble bath or the Mr Bubble did.... Lots of lift - very light foam and its getting thrown into the air further.

I also mixed up the same mixture without the alcohol... That one doesnt seem to work as well.. Doesnt go as far... but I'm not sure if its that machine vs the other machine, so I'm going to switch containers and see what happens.... If I could find the Glycerin I'd try it too.... So far, my vote for a recipe is:

8oz dish soap, 8oz alcohol, 1 gal water. :waycool:

Here's what I've found, which is basically the same information that has already been posted.

I've used bubble bath (walmart-landers), mr bubble, and a couple of dish soaps. The dish soaps are the best solution so far.... Makes the most foam, the lightest foam so it travels farther, and higher from the machine.

I'm currently using:

Ajax dish soap (why? because it was the cheapest one at Walmart at $2.97 for 64oz)

70% alcohol

Distilled water.

8oz dish soap (ajax lemon scented dish soap)

8oz alcohol (70% white iso)

1 gal Distilled water.

Makes 1 gallon + 16oz, and it works GREAT. Its super cheap.... $2 for 32oz of alcohol, $3 for 64oz of dish soap, 64¢ for a gallon of distilled water.

I figure its about $1.51 a gallon... I'm using 3 snowman machines going through about 1/2 gal per machine a night... so about 1.5 gallon a night.

FYI I bought some aquarium heaters for 2-5 gallon tanks at Walmart for $8 ea, which didn't do squat. Maybe the bigger ones might have worked? but these didn't do a darn thing.

I have kind of bit my tongue to keep from replying to this thread but it seems more and more people are starting to use this. Just becareful because this will void your warrenty and this will screw up your machine in the long run. The stuff you buy premade for your machines contains other ingredinats that lube your machine and pump and are a lot safer for those using machines with heating elements. Not all snow machines use them but their are some that do. When you store this for the year it will clog in the lines over time and you never want to store them dry. You always want to store them wet because of the lubercation factor that the juice provides. With this homemade recipe you are taking away this much needed ingredinat and you will not get that protection. You can take this for what it is worth because I know some will not hed the warning. I was in production for over 14+ years doing high profile concerts and worked on machines liked these all the time that people would bring me. I always asked them they used because as soon as I opened them up I could tell. These machines are very simply and not built very complicated so it doesn't take much to ruin one nor does it take much to take care of one to last you a long time. Most of the time though once these machines break it is cheaper to buy a new one then to buy the part to repair it because it doesn't consist of much parts to operate these machines as I have already noted above. I have been on other forums before where I have seen people make their own fog juice and snow juice before and swear by it. Then I would see that same person come on a few months later talking about this new machine they got. No one picked up on why this person got a new machine, but I surely did. I see it happen all the time. So just becareul when you use this stuff, while it might be cheaper now it will cost you in the long run because it will shorten the life of your machine.

I know someone is going to ask so I will tell you one reason now to go with the other above mentioned about the lubercation. It is the most obvious but for some it's not. This homemade mixture is a heavier solution then the normal snow juice. Which in turn it will take more effort and strain on your pump making it go out sooner as well as your electrical elements that it is drawing from. Most of these machine are normally 600-700 watts which sounds like a lot but in this sense it is not really that much for these machines to operate. So when you cut into that draw and ask for your pump to work harder then it is suppose to draw and can draw it is clear to see how this stuff can not be safe on your machine. So just becareful when you do use this stuff.

Texan78 wrote:

I have kind of bit my tongue to keep from replying to this thread but it seems more and more people are starting to use this. Just becareful because this will void your warrenty and this will screw up your machine in the long run. The stuff you buy premade for your machines contains other ingredinats that lube your machine and pump and are a lot safer for those using machines with heating elements. Not all snow machines use them but their are some that do. When you store this for the year it will clog in the lines over time and you never want to store them dry. You always want to store them wet because of the lubercation factor that the juice provides. With this homemade recipe you are taking away this much needed ingredinat and you will not get that protection. You can take this for what it is worth because I know some will not hed the warning. I was in production for over 14+ years doing high profile concerts and worked on machines liked these all the time that people would bring me. I always asked them they used because as soon as I opened them up I could tell. These machines are very simply and not built very complicated so it doesn't take much to ruin one nor does it take much to take care of one to last you a long time. Most of the time though once these machines break it is cheaper to buy a new one then to buy the part to repair it because it doesn't consist of much parts to operate these machines as I have already noted above. I have been on other forums before where I have seen people make their own fog juice and snow juice before and swear by it. Then I would see that same person come on a few months later talking about this new machine they got. No one picked up on why this person got a new machine, but I surely did. I see it happen all the time. So just becareul when you use this stuff, while it might be cheaper now it will cost you in the long run because it will shorten the life of your machine.

I know someone is going to ask so I will tell you one reason now to go with the other above mentioned about the lubercation. It is the most obvious but for some it's not. This homemade mixture is a heavier solution then the normal snow juice. Which in turn it will take more effort and strain on your pump making it go out sooner as well as your electrical elements that it is drawing from. Most of these machine are normally 600-700 watts which sounds like a lot but in this sense it is not really that much for these machines to operate. So when you cut into that draw and ask for your pump to work harder then it is suppose to draw and can draw it is clear to see how this stuff can not be safe on your machine. So just becareful when you do use this stuff

Sorry Texan. When I opened mine upI found the exact same pump that my wet saw uses. I am forced to call 'bunk' on your warning and on every snow/suds machine that says 'only use our fluid'.

My wet saw pumped gallon upon gallon of water saturated with tile grit with NO problem what so ever. There should NEVER be a problem with soap, which is infinitely lessabrasive as tile grit.As long as people clean their machines before putting them away for the season (which is true for ANY type of equipment), those pumps should outlast the device.

These small pumps have no seals to speak of (they are simple impeller pumps) so there is no need to store them wet. My wet saw pump, after not having been used for 5 years, started right up and worked without a hitch. These same pumps are also used to pump clear water for ponds/etc - no lubrication is ever required.

I think you are confused since you are also talking about wattages. These are not fog machines which heat and vaporize oils/etc where you can really bake on some crud. I don't know enough about those to make an informed call (but I will guess that you could make your own fog fluid as well that won't damage your device).

I can see where using ANY kind of snow fluid (including fluid from the manufacturer) could eventually lead to a build up. But as you correctly stated a little bit of preventative maintenance will solve that problem.

The biggest danger these machines will face is when people use tap water instead of distilled. Minerals in the water will quickly build up on the small parts designed for aeration (like the needle that dispenses the fluid into the air stream). Even then, that should be able to be cleared by soaking in vinegar.

Texan78 wrote:

I was in production for over 14+ years doing high profile concerts and worked on machines liked these all the time that people would bring me.

Hold on a tick... Your profile says your Bday is Mar 27, 1978. That makes you 29. You've been doing high-profile concerts since you were 14-15?

post-267-129571019302_thumb.gif

oldcqr wrote:

Texan78 wrote:

Sorry Texan. When I opened mine upI found the exact same pump that my wet saw uses. I am forced to call 'bunk' on your warning and on every snow/suds machine that says 'only use our fluid'.

My wet saw pumped gallon upon gallon of water saturated with tile grit with NO problem what so ever. There should NEVER be a problem with soap, which is infinitely lessabrasive as tile grit.As long as people clean their machines before putting them away for the season (which is true for ANY type of equipment), those pumps should outlast the device.

These small pumps have no seals to speak of (they are simple impeller pumps) so there is no need to store them wet. My wet saw pump, after not having been used for 5 years, started right up and worked without a hitch. These same pumps are also used to pump clear water for ponds/etc - no lubrication is ever required.

I think you are confused since you are also talking about wattages. These are not fog machines which heat and vaporize oils/etc where you can really bake on some crud. I don't know enough about those to make an informed call (but I will guess that you could make your own fog fluid as well that won't damage your device).

I can see where using ANY kind of snow fluid (including fluid from the manufacturer) could eventually lead to a build up. But as you correctly stated a little bit of preventative maintenance will solve that problem.

The biggest danger these machines will face is when people use tap water instead of distilled. Minerals in the water will quickly build up on the small parts designed for aeration (like the needle that dispenses the fluid into the air stream). Even then, that should be able to be cleared by soaking in vinegar.

Your wet saw does not use the same exact pump and if you believe that then I am sorry. The wattage draw is completely different. In any case not to mention your wet saw is pumping water which is lighter then this solution you are making for your snow machine. Would you put this in your wet saw? If not, why not? Now I will agree with you on one thing, you don't have to use the juice that is made by that company. Any premixed snow juice will work from any company. Just like you don't need to use Low Lying fog in low lying fog machine because it is the same stuff only more expensive. Also your wet saw pump I am sure is sealed with a very fine screen mesh filter to keep tile particles from getting sucked through. Which is the same on snow and fog mahcine pumps to. So when you try to start pumping a thinker and heavy solution thought this mess filter even though it may not be visible by the naked eye the homemade solution is thicker and will burn up your pump if not your electrical trying to accomendate for the more power draw. The professional machines are cranking out between 1400 to 2000 watts.

Another thing is you NEVER want to clean your machine before you put it away for the season that is the worse thing you can do. You can run a 50/50 mixture of vinager and distilled water through but after that make sure you fill it back up and run juice through it for at least 5 mins. You never want to store it dry. And yes they do have interenal seals within the pump. These pumps do not have servicable parts which means if it goes out you have to replace the whole pump unit which can get costly.

Also no I am not confused with Fog machines, these snow machines use high wattage like I said in my last post on avg they use about 600-700 watts. Mine uses 600 Watts. Some have heating elements and some don't The higher the power draw they better your output will be in most cases. Look for yourself.... http://www.planetdj.com/i--S-100-II!!20ANTARI And yes you are correct you never want to use Tap water only Distilled water.

I am not telling anyone not to use it, just use it at your own risk. You are also going to have people defending their homemade recipes and that is fine. When you are replacing your machine and selling the old one on eBay like this one whos pump went out after only three years and instead of fixing it they are selling because they know what they hvae done. eBay is filled with tons of machines like this. The proof is in the pudding and I have been around this stuff long enough to know. I would thought I would give you some useful information on a non company non bias stance. If you chose to take it fine, if not fine to. Just let me say told you so when your replacing it after a couple of season of only using it a few times. Also glycerin is not widely used anymore in the soultion. That is what will make things sticky and give you build up when used indoors.

oldcqr wrote:

Texan78 wrote:

Hold on a tick... Your profile says your Bday is Mar 27, 1978. That makes you 29. You've been doing high-profile concerts since you were 14-15?

That is correct, to make a long story short I got on as a roady at 15 for a local production company here in Dallas setting up stages and lighting rigs, audio at local festivals and concerts around town and what not. Mostly back then it was for the Dixie Chicks before they made it big. I didn't start running shows myself until I was about 20. it was then I went to Austin to work for ShowCo with High End Systems. Then when I turned I guess 23 I had climbed the ladder and I hit the road with some high profile acts as production manager designing and programming for high profile country artist. I have worked with a lot of Nashville acts. So I went from nothing to this and over time learned a lot. It was when my daughter was born I came off the road and went back to school to be a web developer so I could spend more time with my family. That is why computer controlled lighting is really something I like and feels the void I miss to doing 500+ channel DMX shows. So that is a basic life story, anything else personal you would like to ask?

Also in my last post I forgot to post the link to that broken snow machine with the busted pump? Wonder what could hvae made it go out in only 3 seasons if it is only used once a year?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chauvet-Snow-Machine-SM-150X-SM150X-Large-volume-output_W0QQitemZ170179822077QQihZ007QQcategoryZ29943QQcmdZViewItem

You can take my information for what it is worth. If you choose not to believe it, so be it. Just thought I would offer it for those less educated on this machine. Use the homemade juice at your own risk.

Toaster wrote:

Check this out!! UV SNOW!!!!!!!!:waycool:

http://snowmasters.com/solutions.php#FS1C

I want that! OK: New homemade recipe needed --- What do we add for the UV snow!?

I would try something called (and someone please correct me on this) 'bluing'. Bluing should be found in the laundry isle of your grocery store. You add it to your wash for whites, and it makes them white-er looking.

It's typically UV reactive, and I have seen Halloween type people use it for 'glowing' ghosts/etc.

I use bleach white rit dye for my Halloween stuff under blacklights. I wouldn't recommend that in a snow machine though. At $12 a bottle that stuff they are selling would be your best bet. Their is UV stuff in the paint isle that would work but it is the same price.

I purchased 2 gallons of fluid with our Chavet machine and just used the last of it last night.

Thanks for the recipes everyone. I'll use em' for next year!

I would buy more if I were you. I also have a chauvet and when I got it I used the snow juice concentrate from HSN. It worked for 1 day. I sent it back to Chauvet for repair, they sent it back and it again worked for 1 day. I got really upsetwith them and they (Chauvet) sent me a new machine with a gallon of their snow juice. It worked great for a week then we ran out of their snow juice and made up some of the HSN juice and it immediatly stopped working.......coincedence??????? The motor runs fine but it does not suck any liquid. Not sure, I just know that I am without a snow machine again.

I do not know a lot about these things but I do find it odd that only their juice would work.

Does anyone know where to buy glycerin in a store??

Dave

We have two amazing snowman snow machinesthatwehaving been using Mike's (oldcqr)recipe for snow solutionsinceThanksgiving weekendand we have not experienced any problems with our machines. The only problem that we had is that we set back approximately 150 feet from the road and you can not see the snow from the road. We are going to try Bluing does anyone know how much to use with a gallon of solution.

• 2 years later...

FYI....

I have several gallons of this fluid still sitting around in sealed containers (gallon milk jugs) in my garage. My Amazing Snowman broke, so I never had a chance to use it.

A check reveals that it is still clear as a sheet of glass. More amazing is that most of it was still in-solution. A quick shake and it is ready to go.

I use the following Recipe for Snow Fluid:

Dawn Ultra or Joy Ultra Dish Detergent 1 Part (Large bottles at Sam's Club)

Water (Distilled Water Works Best) 15 Parts

Glycerine .25 Parts

Propylene Glycol .25 Parts

For 1 gallon I use 8 oz of Dawn, 2 oz of Glycerine, 2 oz Propylene Glycol, and 116 oz of water.

Add ingredients to the water and then stir do not add the water to the ingredients.

I purchase my Glycerine and Propylene Glycol from CQ Concepts by the gallon.

http://www.cqconcepts.com/

I would buy more if I were you. I also have a chauvet and when I got it I used the snow juice concentrate from HSN. It worked for 1 day. I sent it back to Chauvet for repair, they sent it back and it again worked for 1 day. I got really upsetwith them and they (Chauvet) sent me a new machine with a gallon of their snow juice. It worked great for a week then we ran out of their snow juice and made up some of the HSN juice and it immediatly stopped working.......coincedence??????? The motor runs fine but it does not **** any liquid. Not sure, I just know that I am without a snow machine again.

I do not know a lot about these things but I do find it odd that only their juice would work.

Does anyone know where to buy glycerin in a store??

Dave

It cost too much to by Glycerin at a drug store as they only sell it in 4oz and 8oz bottles.

I buy my glycerin and propylene glycol at CQ Concepts Inc.

http://www.cqconcepts.com/

I use 1 gallon distilled water, 1 cup alcohol, 1 cup Mr. Bubble.

Done.

Works great.

No glycerin or other crap.

I've used straight tap water for two years with the same recipe and zero problems... when it's going to be below 32 degrees out, I mix 2/3 water, 1/3 RV antifreeze..

I've used straight tap water for two years with the same recipe and zero problems... when it's going to be below 32 degrees out, I mix 2/3 water, 1/3 RV antifreeze..

Using tap water might have undesired results depending on your tap water.

I think distilled is a safer alternative and it doesn't cost that much.