Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
mkuntzcpa

Christmas Countdown sign at Michael's Crafts Store

Picked one up today and really like it.

Need to figure out how to customize the front... thinking of just adding the word "lights" right above the days display in die cut vinyl - so that once the lights go live, it can still be a countdown to christmas.

Used the 40% off coupon! Thanks for the heads up.

I cut a piece of coro to the size of the sign the penguin is holding, cut out the holes for the numbers. Painted it light blue with Krylon Fusion, and lettered "Countdown to Lights, and Days, Hours, Minutes and Seconds. After lightup day I will remove the cover and have it for a Christmas countdown.

That probably is the best way to go. Just need to order some from my sign supplier. Already cut out the letters last night on my Rolland GX-24 Digital Cutter so half the work is done ;)

that is really neat im going to check it out today. I would also put it up asap because around here people are waiting for my lights to go on lol

levelbest wrote:

Another 40% off coupon in todays paper btw.

Unfortunately, the sign is also marked down at 25% off. Michael's coupons are only good off regularly priced merchandise; I did manage to talk them into charging the regular price once, and then using the coupon:]. Ya might wanna try that!

I'm so glad that I looked at the website Friday. I went to Michaels and found 1 left. I'm thinking of cutting the eyes out and putting in lights in it's place and outlining the whole thing with a string of white lights.

I also go mine for 40% off. It was the last one too. I had better check to see if it's damaged - haven't even opened the box yet.

I got one this weekend also and had to ask for the 40% off. Haven't seen them advertise in the paper where I live (we live about 50 miles from the store) They had 3 plus the display at the store I went to.

Becky Fitz wrote:

I'm thinking of cutting the eyes out

AAIIIIEEEE!!!!!:shock::shock: Don't let any kids see that, it'll scar them for life!

levelbest wrote:

Another 40% off coupon in todays paper btw.

It's every Sunday. Occasionally there's a 50% off coupon.

TED

If I hadn't already purchased one of these, I might have considered this sign too:

60334843tpkh3.jpg

Granted, it's not as cute, but there are 6 of them for sale on Ebay for $18.88 at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIGHTED-CHRISTMAS-COUNTDOWN-STAKE_W0QQitemZ330180459980QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

snowman.jpg

Thought everyone might like to seean example of what you can do to customize this display.

It's colorplast cut to shape by using paper to trace an outline of the original sign, then cutting out the holes and hands.

After that, it was off to illustrator to create the graphics to match my website logo, and then transfer it to my Roland GX-24 Digital cutter. After I cut out the graphics, I applied them to the sign.

Colorplast cost me $5. Having your own digital cutter in house (we run a sign and screenprining and embroidery business) ... priceless :)

Contact me via PM and we'll see what we can work out ;)

I might be able to cut the vinyl letteringand let you find your own colorplast to stick it to and cut out.

Hawkes wrote:

They're on sale this week for $59.99 at Michael's. I'm picking two up this afternoon.

I just picked up one!! :waycool:

That store still had 2 left on the shelf.

Ok I'm really annoyed. The first sign I bought had a problem with the seconds display - the second digit would show when it was supposed to be a 1 or 4, but not 5, 3, or 2. Fortunately there are still three available at my store, so I bought a second one (after verifying they have a 60 day return policy), and it's display is fine.

Then I boxed up the original and was about to take it back when I noticed a piece missing from the wooden part which holds the right peg of the display stand! Grrr! Fortunately it looks like I can easily (and carefully!) unscrew the plastic digital display from the wooden frame, and swap it onto the other sign, giving me one fully workingsign to keep, and one doubly broken sign to return!

Anyone who hasn't unboxed their sign yet, I'd recommend you do so and inspect it carefully for defects before you miss your chance to return it for a working model, should the unpleasant happen to you too.

Thanks for the heads up. I pulled mine out today and tested it and everything looks great. One small section of the 's' on the bottom is missing, but a simple dash of red paint took care of that.

dtrammell wrote:

Then I boxed up the original and was about to take it back when I noticed a piece missing from the wooden part which holds the right peg of the display stand! Grrr! Fortunately it looks like I can easily (and carefully!) unscrew the plastic digital display from the wooden frame, and swap it onto the other sign, giving me one fully workingsign to keep, and one doubly broken sign to return!

\

Wondering how the swap went? I tried to unscrew and remove the plastic display, it was glued to the wooden part. I stoped trying to force it out and gave up. I wanted to take it out so it would be easier to make cutouts in coro for a countdown to light on sign.