Synchronizing lights, another method

I dont know if anyone has used the method that I use to synchronize lights, but it takes a little longer but you get a perfectly synched show in the end. I use an sound editor, cool edit pro, to place points in my song where i want lights to change, turn on or off, then i take that list of cues and transfer them over to the animation director software, thus creating all the columns that i need for the song. If i need more i will just add them manually and set the start time of the column.I have been working with Jeff Lacey on a show nowfor 2 yearsin Charlotte, NC and currently we are using 96 channels with animated lighting hardware. Im not a big fan their software but it works, it just takes forever. This year, one of the songswe programmed was a Disney selection from EPCOT's Illuminations show. Reflections of Earth is the name of the song and the video can be seen here. Scroll down the page and its under JEFF L's DISPLAY. Please enjoy the file!

-Nate Mitchell

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me about a week spending a few hours a day to program that show. Thanks for the wonderful comments. Jeff wants to start a larger show in the next year or so, so that more people will be able to attend. I started an outdoor haunted attraction 7 years ago and want to get into other seasonal events. Its really awesome doing this kind of stuff for people. have a good one!

For people who can't afford Adobe Audition (the new name for Cool Edit Pro after they got bought by Adobe) there is a free alternative called Audacity. I'm not sure how you could transfer data from the track to another program - but it also visually displays the wave form allowing you to pick up on beats and other points in the music on time.

Here's the website you can get Audacity from:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Oh - I forgot to mention it is FREE!!! (not even shareware - but really free)

Ed Meyer

Emmetsburg, IA

Very very cool show! I love Reflections of Earth, and it's cool to see it set tolight like that.

By chance, are you a fan of drum corps? Just curious...

Carson's video inspired me and I was bitten by the bug, but this one had me jumping out of my chair clapping! Thanks!

Very, verycoolanimation. Did you use Cool Edit Pro to shorten the track, or some other software?

It's funny, I was just reviewing the Disney Millenium Celebration soundtrack last night. As I recall, at the beginning of the EPCOT show, they had a sort of welcoming voiceover with all the ambient lighting in the park on. At the end of the voiceover, the voice "blew out" all of the lights in the park, like blowing out a candle. I thought the soundtrack album would have the "blow out" sound (it didn't), which I thought would be fun for New Year's Eve.

Bob

Yeah i used CEP to edit the song down to 5 minutes, as it is a 9 minute track hehe...as for the roof lights, they are just mini lights, not icicles...icicles would be neat though if you had 5 colors like that...of course youd have to replace all the bulbs which would take a while! and yes i know what youre talking about when the voice blows out the torches around the world showcase at epcot, very neat, and would be a good idea for something...man i wish i did show control for a living, maybe someday!

Nate:

I'm not familiar with the software you mention, but I do use Steinberg's wavelab. I used to DJ on the side and I have many mixed tapes that I wanted to convert to CD's. I digitized them using my built in Soundblaster recorder. I then used Steinberg's wave editor to clean them up a bit, manually insert track markers and save the individual tracks. I then use NERO to burn my new mixed CD with track markers and CDTEXT.

I'm guessing your 'cues' are similar, but what format are your cues in? Is your method specific to Animation software? I use LOR, but would love to be able to use my audio software to mark the cues. Or if it is truly "CUES" that you are working with, I also use PCDJ Red to assign auto mixing cues. I wonder if they are all the same thing.

that is way cool i would like to have someone do a synchronizing song like that I work too much to do that i now have 96 chanels on light o rama ordered 5 more this year dont know when they will ship them i work a lot but love to put up lights

Nate

Very nice display, I like the way you used "lights-off" in you timing, Very nice indeed.

A question on your display.

What did you use to get the twinkling independant lights in your center tree?

Are they independently fired or a stringer of some sort?

The one's that are very noticeable while the tree is lite in a darker color ie.. green, blue.

Thank You

Rich in NJ

The lights are actually a strobe rope that is in the center of the tree, it contains 12 small strobes that blink totally randomly. they cost about 80 bucks and you can get them from any dj or lighting company. Curtain strobes are also good because they do the same thing and are a little more powerful. hope this helps

nate