Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
JimCanfield

So many choices out here!

I have seen so very many opinions here about which is good, better, and best. From what I gather, LOR seems to be the program of choice. However, with me not knowing anything about anything about programming or soldering LOR seems way out of my league. Then X10 comes into play, however it has been said a few times that X10 is outdated. For me, a beginner, X10 seems simpler and easier. Then I just was looking into AL and their "Just Add Power Christmas Kit" really seems the way to go. Was just wondering what all you pros seemed to think about these options.

I am looking at running about 4500 mini lights which seems to use about 15 amps (I figured this by figuring that 100 mini light strand uses .33 amps and multiplied that by 45). The breaker I have my lights on is a 20 amp, so I am about at the max for that one according to the figures I found on PC, figuring power needs.

Thank you Chuck, that helped out tons! I want my lights to dance, but am still unsure if I want music yet. Can I get the lights to dance without music using X10, or should I go AL, LOR? I would LOVE to have music playing, but it may be more of a nuicene seeing i am in town. SO for now I would love to just have the lights dance.

ONE CHOICE LIGHT O RAMA!!

Dan do i get a free lor for plugging the LOR:laughing:

Jeff G

post-4709-12957100725_thumb.jpg

Hey,

There is another obvious choice as well as LOR and AL there are some of us that use and are quite happy with "D-Light" all good products and all deserve equal consideration.

Just my opinion.

Kim

You can download the S/W for free from LOR's web site and try it out. (You might want to wait a week or so for the new version, though.)

Also, if you've never done it before it's probably too late to do anything for this year anyway.

Oh yea, it is to late for this year, plus it is not in the budget either. However, this is a goal of mine and I am always looking for ways to better my display. No better time to start planning for next year than the present! Thnak you for your replies though!

Just FYI, you can get the Showtime LOR boxes that are all ready to go. Plus, LOR does sell sequences so you can buy those if you don't want to program your own. However, you do pay for the convenience of ready to go boxes. The LOR PC kits with a pre-soldered boards are the best value. http://store.lightorama.com/ctb16pcpage.html

It costs about $100 less than the Showtime boxes and only takes an hour or so to put together with a screwdriver. Very easy to do and you save a lot.

rockyct wrote:

The LOR PC kits with a pre-soldered boards are the best value.

I agree 110%. They are a cinch to assemble and you save a bundle.

You can save even more by soldering them yourself but if you're not comfortable doing that then this is the best way to go. (They're really kind of fun and you learn more about what you're doing/using.)

ya im buying a couple kits (pre-soldered boards) and prob a few pre-made sequences for my first year, but i want to make my own for next year.

Hey Keep,

If my Wife can do LOR anyone can. She has animated Pumpkins this year for Halloween and everybody loves it. Hell I was truly impressed. It didn't take her long and she ended up with 7 songs for this Halloween Season.

LOR is easy, fun and it's options keep growing every year. I purchased one LOR Showtime kit to begin with in 2006 and added 2 more units in 2007 but, this time I went with the PC Special one where all you have to do is put it together.. Wayy easy!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Happy Shopping

-Evan

Since it seems everybody else was represented heres my plug for Animated Lighting!

I'd start with a plug and play- get those lights dancing right away while you learn to program. Even though you want to animate without music the natual progression will eventually lead to syncing to songs. Good Luck!

chrissalter wrote:

D-light does not support dmx however which I feel is where alot of future displays are going.

I use LOR, but to be honest, DMX is pretty far down on the list of features I would like. Sure, I would love to use DMX lighting, but the fixtures are just sooo expensive that it's just not worth it to me. Now, DMX controlled fog machines or snow machines would be nice, but you can do a simplified vesion of that now with relays.

Just to throw another issue out there, but I was told that the new release of the LOR software coming out might not be compatible withnon LORhardware. Is that true?

Thank you all! The D-Lite looks very promising, I will do more research and replies after I get home from work. You all gave me stuff 2 think about, thank you very much!!!!

All are great products (AL, LOR, D-Light) you cannot go wrong with either one. I have been using D-Light for the past couple years and Darryl and the gang have been very responsive, even offering some support during the weekend and late at night, not that it is their policy. But, if they are around they will answer your questions. I have used LOR software from the start and just switched over to the D-Lights Spectrum software and all and can say it is sweet. Did it have bugs yes some but when they are found they are taken care of very fast. I think all software has bugs when its’ first released. As far as DMX Support I don’t think the fast majority of displays have gotten there yet, some people are using it. I do believe that D-Light is researching DMX integration. I’m sure Darryl can answer any questions that you might have. The other thing is cost. I believe the cost per channel D-light comes out ahead comparing controller to controller. So I think it comes down to what you’re looking for. LOR has one of the largest sharing sites that was started by one of the PC members that has a lot of sequences on it available for download. LOR also offers a standalone module allowing you to run your display with a PC attached, which is nice. D-Light does have some sequences on their site to share but not much. But keep in mind that you can import LOR sequences to Spectrum. I’m more of a hobbyist, which is the reason I went with D-Light in the first place because at the time they were the only one that offered kits. Now that they offer a fully packaged product which I believe it is a good choice for everyone. So like you said look at what is the most important options for your.

My husband and i chose LOR last year in Oct with 16 channels to start. I had no idea what to do or how to do it. Being that you have a year to learn if your not going to do this till next year, Id go LOR. It was easy to learn, and im a stay at home mom as i stated before. I had no problems. It is so fun. I currently have halloween show that i did all by myself. Check it out.... And i did christmas too... http://creativedevoflanier.net/halloween2007.asp

keepCHRISTinchristmas wrote:

Thank you Chuck, that helped out tons! I want my lights to dance, but am still unsure if I want music yet. Can I get the lights to dance without music using X10, or should I go AL, LOR? I would LOVE to have music playing, but it may be more of a nuicene seeing i am in town. SO for now I would love to just have the lights dance.

Drop X-10, for one... X-10 is controllable thru Animated Lighting or LOR.

LOR and AL do not require solder it yourself kits although I think LOR and D-Lites offer solder it yourself kits for computer nerds capable of doing this to save some bucks.

AL, LOR and D-Lights all have options for do it yourselfers and even the most expensive company has put your own plugs together starter kits for about $225.

Now say you have no ability to put together a kit, dont want to program, just plug and play, well the LOR guys will get mad at me, but someone needs to balance the choices out. Animated Lighting has kits that just plug and play, never need to hook up to computer, you can order your entire show already programmed with songs ranging from 5 songs to 155 songs all one a cartridge you can just plug into the brain and your show is totally automated, can be set at the factory to start at dusk and off at 10 PM if you want. I think LOR also offers a completely turn key ready to go solution but in either case with LOR or AL, the ready to go preprogrammed stuff that is designed for dummys willcost quite a bitmore then the hobby kits.

rockyct wrote:

chrissalter wrote:

I use LOR, but to be honest, DMX is pretty far down on the list of features I would like. Sure, I would love to use DMX lighting, but the fixtures are just sooo expensive that it's just not worth it to me. Now, DMX controlled fog machines or snow machines would be nice, but you can do a simplified vesion of that now with relays.

I agree... my setup has been capable of DMX for 4 years and I dont think DMX really has any place in Christmas... I'd use it for halloween displays and summer parties, but most DMX lights are just not becoming of a Christmas display. I was interested until I seen some videos of spot lights at a zoo flashing moving back and forth and that just totally turned me off of DMX.

Disneyman, the LOR software is just the program that runs the controllers. Yes they do sell thier controllers in kit form, but not in a package with the software. You can also buy the prebuilt controllers with the software in different what they call "Showtime" packages.